Question Apex Legends 240Hz High Fps = Stutter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scottboy221

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
SPECS:
MOBO - ASROCK Z370 KILLER SLI/AC
CPU - I7 8700K (Not OverClocked)
CPU COOLER - THERMAL TAKE RIING 360mm
GPU - 1070 TI
RAM - GSKILL 3200MHZ 32GB
PSU - CORSAIR RM1000X
SSD - 970 NVME EVO 500GB
SECONDARY SSD - 860 EVO 500GB
MONITOR - PG258Q 240HZ

So, I've been having an issue in Apex Legends where if i uncap my fps my game stutters and feels slow even though the fps will be at 200+. I used to have a 2080ti in this system but im currently getting an rma for it because the stuttering and was very obvious and players were ghosting. The commands ive tried in the game properties were "+fps_max 0" and "-freq 240", if i take these commands off the game caps to 144fps and it fixes the stutter but since i have a 240hz monitor there is screen tearing and I don't want to play with any form of Vsync(Yes that counts Gsync) this doesn't happen in any other games. Another side note is that if I inspect a item in the in game store on capped 144fps I can spin it around really fast with one swipe of my mouse, if i uncap the fps I have to swipe it way more almost as if having more fps slows my game speed down.(I play on 400DPI 1000hz) I'm currently on nvidia driver 417.71 because I had to downgrade from the recent drivers due to the dxg device hung error. Vsync is turned off both in game and in my nvidia control panel, windows is set to high performance, and so is my gpu in NVCP. Windows Game Mode/DVR is turned off, Ive already tried disabling fullscreen optimaztions and enabling adaptive vsync in game with vsync off in NVCP. Mouse Accel is turned off in windows and im connected to my monitor/gpu via display port.

The Programs I Have Opened While Playing:
LOGITECH GAMING SOFTWARE
INTEL RAPID STORAGE TECHNOLOGY
DISCORD
GOOGLE CHROME
CORSAIR UTILITY ENGINE

MOUSE - LOGITECH G PRO WIRED
KEYBOARD - K70 RGB

Last edited:

fissionchi

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have a 144Hz monitor and I had a similar issue, stuttery feeling to the game even though FPS was high, I tested some things on training mode and if I cap my FPS to 144 through RTSS, the game runs significantly smoother.