Dec 30, 2022
Given the complete lack of support available from AMD for at least another week (see here - https://www.amd.com/en/maintenance/customer-care.html), I am reproducing my post from their forums in a bid to resolve 2 issues that arose immediately after upgrading to an RX 7900 XT, both of which seem to be driver-related (IMHO)

(Original post - https://community.amd.com/t5/graphi...een-depth-issue-with-7900xt/m-p/568100#M92170)

System is as follows

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master mobo, rev 1.2 (Realtek ALC1220 sound)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
64GB (4x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z 3600MHz DDR4
Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 1000W Modular PSU (Platinum)
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Air Tower Cooler
WD Black SN750 2TB M.2 2280 NVME drive (system drive)
Various other SSD/HDD storage drives
Radeon RX 7900 XT GPU
Dark Base Pro 900 full tower case
Samsung U32H85X 4K monitor (Connected via DP), at native 3840x2160
Sony Bravia 40in TV, 1920x1080 (Connected via HDMI)
Win 10 Pro

The system was built a little over a year ago from new components and was fully functioning prior to the update of the GC. Previous card was a Zotac 1070

On installation, the first thing I noticed was that the image on the secondary monitor was vertically compressed into 50% of the monitor depth, but using 100% of the width. In addition, there was no system sound at all (speakers were selected as output device). Changing sound to Realtek (2nd output) correctly plays the sound via headset (connected via front panel)

(Image cannot be added, but is available here - https://community.amd.com/t5/graphi...-message-images-568108=79531iAE1DA80265881608)

Initial steps were as follows:

• Verifying and re-verifying that all cables were properly seated
  • autodetecting and applying recommended resolutions
  • disconnecting the second monitor, rebooting
  • rebooting again
  • reconnecting the monitor
  • reinstalling drivers (at this point 22.12.1)
  • making sure that all old nVidia drivers were removed (and associated software), then reinstalling drivers
  • re-disconnecting, rebooting and reconnecting 2nd monitor
  • used settings with Radeon software to alter display settings (auto-creating single deskptop over 2 monitors used the entire 2nd panel size, but at overall desktop resolution of 1920x1080)
  • reported to AMD using bug-report (Dec 18)
  • reported to Sapphire using internal system (Dec 27)
None of this made any difference.

I have since:
  • wiped ALL video drivers using DDU in safe-mode (3 times),
  • wiped ALL Audio drivers and reinstalled chipset driver (v3.08.17.735),
  • uninstalled GC, rebooted then updated video driver to 22.12.2 (Driver ONLY),
  • updated motherboard BIOS to F36F (previously F35),
  • uninstalled Realtek audio driver (and ALL other audio drivers), reinstalled with latest driver from Gigabyte (v 6.0.9235.1)
  • verified BIOS audio settings (only option is to disable Realtek audio)
  • verified that speakers are working with another PC
  • replaced HDMI cable with DP to HDMI cable,
  • tried DP-HDMI adapter and replacement HDMI cable,
  • completely disabled HDMI audio output and Apowersoft audio, leaving only Realtek devices active (speakers, 2nd output, digital audio) at "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" level
  • tried to disable AMD HD audio bus at "system Devices" level within device manager, but it will NOT stay disabled
  • updated win10 to V 22H2 and fully installed all subsequent windows updates
  • retried software steps previously attempted
So far, I have had no response from either AMD or Sapphire (not completely surprising, given the time of year) and both problems remain un-resolved. Any assitance to resolve these issues would be gratefully received.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022
From other threads that I have read, I am assuming that this is related to the embryonic 7900 drivers, but if there are any suggestions of solutions other than just waiting for AMD to fix it, I'd appreciate it

jrob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Make sure you have installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD’s website directly. It was only after I did that, changed my pci-e settings to x8, x4, x4, and gen 3, that I could get my Xfx merc 310 version of the card to boot into windows 11 from slot 1. The chipset driver from gigabyte may not be as recent as the one amd posted right before the release of these cards.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 30, 2022
Make sure you have installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD’s website directly. It was only after I did that, changed my pci-e settings to x8, x4, x4, and gen 3, that I could get my Xfx merc 310 version of the card to boot into windows 11 from slot 1. The chipset driver from gigabyte may not be as recent as the one amd posted right before the release of these cards.

Thanks - chipset driver is already up to date, but will try changing slot settings

Edited to add that I have tried this (in 2 separate steps) - selecting Gen 3 first, then 8/4/4.... no difference whatsoever (at least with respect to the issues I am experiencing ). Also tried switching ports with the 2 cables as my main (4k) monitor was showing up as number 2 (that has changed during this process).... thought that might be kyboshing things, but again, no difference at all.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022
23.1 driver does nothing to fix this and neither Sapphire or AMD have responded to technical support requests or even acknowledged that they have received them - shameful.

TRENDING THREADS