Apparently most of my components are performing far worse than expected, no clear reason why

Solution
After looking at a few newegg reviews it seems that you aren't the only one to have problems with that motherboard. But I am also not too confident in the bench-marking tool you used. If your mostly using your pc for games then the best test is to see how well your pc handles games. If you get comparable fps to another person's pc with the same components then everything is good. Another way to test is more standard benchmarks like Cinebench for your CPU and unigine Heaven benchmark for your GPU. Those will give you accurate scores to see if you really have a problem. Other than that I don't have much more advice. I hope you find the answer to your problem.

accursedCursive

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015
It isn't.
Is it possible that my motherboard is just poorly handling my components?
This isn't the first Asrock 970 Pro3 R2.0 that I've used, and my experience with the model is that it's quirky.
My last motherboard of that kind lasted over a year, causing strange issues (the strangest being that playing on a certain Gmod server could cause a crash then POST failure) to develop and accumulate with increasing rapidity until the thing finally died for good.
This one has developed at least two noticable problems already:
1) It has to be manually restarted after changing BIOS settings, it just sits there with a black screen generating lots of heat until I hit the restart button.
2) It is terrible at heat management, a 10% CPU load which should be able to use the lowest clock speed and multiplier instead uses very high clock speeds and multipliers which in turn makes it get much hotter than the last motherboard.
3?) The motherboard gets unusually hot, about as hot as the last motherboard did before death; however this might be an extension of the last problem. I do know however that the motherboard temperature registers at about 5°C higher than the temperature of the air inside the case assuming a meat thermometer is reliable for measuring air temperature if you leave it in the case for long enough.

So I suspect my motherboard has problems I don't know about causing my whole setup to perform badly.

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
After looking at a few newegg reviews it seems that you aren't the only one to have problems with that motherboard. But I am also not too confident in the bench-marking tool you used. If your mostly using your pc for games then the best test is to see how well your pc handles games. If you get comparable fps to another person's pc with the same components then everything is good. Another way to test is more standard benchmarks like Cinebench for your CPU and unigine Heaven benchmark for your GPU. Those will give you accurate scores to see if you really have a problem. Other than that I don't have much more advice. I hope you find the answer to your problem.

Solution

accursedCursive

Reputable
Aug 22, 2015

If I get the same performance as an identical PC but the per-part performance is unusually low, then that means the setup is wrong.
UserBenchMark is useful in telling the per-part performance, because it clearly indicates that if I don't have any settings wrong then the components aren't fully compatible with each other or the motherboard has an issue.

Heathclor

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
I get what you are saying and I agree that your problem is probably with your motherboard but I was just trying to tell you that I do not (in my opinion) think that UserBenchMark is as accurate as other benchmarks in determining performance. I say this because I have used it a few times and my CPU (i7 4790) fluctuated about 25% in those tests. That being said perhaps there were some background processes that caused my less than accurate readings, but my point is that I don't think using only one measuring tool is wise when trying to troubleshoot problems.