News Apple and Intel First to Adopt TSMC's 3nm Technology: Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel already mentioned using tsm to produce chiplets for Intel's Client 2.0 idea.

tsm already makes the Mobileye eyeq5 chips on 7nm, so an eyeq6 on a new process node would be no surprise.

tsm already builds the Habana Gaudi chips, and Habana has already said a 7nm one is in progress. It would be no surprise to see Intel move to 3nm on those products.

Intel builds eASIC chiplets at tsm, and has already announced 7nm plans for those. With Intel's announced IPU program, it would be no surprise to see intel build 3nm eASIC chiplets at tsm to upgrade mature function FPGA implementations.

Intel has already built atom chips at tsm. They are using atom cores in the p5900 family 5G basestation chips. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Intel move to 3nm for the next chips in that line, Grand Ridge, which were originally planned for Intel 7nm.

Intel Xe-HPG are rumored to be built at tsm. No reason not to shrink those for the lower power needed in laptops.

everettfsargent

Honorable
Oct 13, 2017
pt2f8i3.png
mobile01-6c2f131a03f38b93284886e74302541e.png

Apple claims half of TSMC 5nm production capacity for 2021

Last edited:
So, Intel and Apple, the two corporations with the most revenues and profits, go to the front of the line because TSMC can charge them more then anyone else, including AMD. The difference between Apple and Intel being, Apple innovated their way to the top as they dumped IBM and then Intel, while Intel just dumped themselves in the face of the AMD onslaught.
I see this more as Intel buying themselves time to figure out how to get their own crap together but still need to remain relevant. I wouldn't be surprised if Intel starts examining how TSMC is making their things to improve their own processes.

It is just a matter of time before TSMC exceeds the revenues and profits of Apple and Intel (and AMD) combined. The true competition is between TSMC and Samsung, both as contract fabs to the starZ.
If I had a nickel every time someone made it sound like AMD actually manufacturers chips, I'd probably have enough money to buy out AMD (okay, not really, but still)

InvalidError

Titan
is there other nvidia product we did not know also being build on TSMC 7nm?
I'm sure Nvidia has semi-custom chips for some large customers that don't appear on its product pages.

Nvidia's Orin SoC will be made on 7nm and production should be scaling up right about now to meet demand for next-gen self-driving hardware, Nintendo's Switch Pro and likely other stuff too.

Reactions: renz496