Apple Announces 128 GB iPad 4 Priced at $799, $929

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Clearly iPad is true Tablet and Surface Pro is God knows what...more like Jack of all trades Master of none. I like idea of having cellular so you can use your tablet as phone as well. This is also indication that Microsoft mixed Apples and Oranges thinking that Tablets belong to PC. No they do not.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Meanwhile the Surface Pro 128GB version only has 83GB left over.[/citation]

Meanwhile you'll need to use iTunes so sync everything with the ipad and your regular Windows PC.....stupid bluetooth on those things cant even send files via bluetooth to non-Apple devices.

game junky

Distinguished
I was wondering when this would happen - Microsoft releases a 128GB option so Apple releases one - for people who are constantly traveling and want to take all their media with them, this is a great addition to the iPad lineup.

I am going to start laughing when the next series has a 256GB option.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Meanwhile you'll need to use iTunes so sync everything with the ipad and your regular Windows PC.....stupid bluetooth on those things cant even send files via bluetooth to non-Apple devices.[/citation]

I have never connected my iPads to iTunes. That requirement has gone away a long time ago. Maybe you should update yourself on the latest in technology.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]game junky[/nom]I was wondering when this would happen - Microsoft releases a 128GB option so Apple releases one - for people who are constantly traveling and want to take all their media with them, this is a great addition to the iPad lineup.I am going to start laughing when the next series has a 256GB option.[/citation]

MS released an 83GB version, not a 128GB one. Nothing like having 1/3 of your storage space gone before you even turn it on.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]swordrage[/nom](Not) trying to act like a fanboy here, but people are complaining about the $999 price of the surface pro..[/citation]
Stole the words out of my mouth.

It's not the Surface Pro that needs a price cut (touch/type covers do, though), it's the ipad and all the other tablets above $400 (including Surface RT).

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Less than a week before Surface Pro. Coincidence?

I think Apple just doesn't want to appear like the "me-too" company for once, but the Surface Pro trumps any Apple and Android tablet before it by lightyears. Android and iOS devices never appealed to me because no matter how bleeding edge the hardware specs might've been it was still limited by the software. More times than not what the software can do is what makes or breaks a device's success.

Now, Microsoft is about to be the second to release a tablet that can do everything I could possibly want to do with a tablet. The first was Samsung with their Series 7 Slate (spec'd very much like the Surface Pro) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTCBIKp3A5s

InvalidError

Titan
Funny how Apple charges nearly $400 for 112GB flash when you can get a 256GB mSATA/SATA drive for almost half that much.

In principle, embedding directly in the device should be cheaper since it avoids the need for separate packaging and extra interface glue-logic.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Buy a Surface Pro instead. It's about the same price and you get more performance, utility, mobility, etc. Plus you can use microSDXC, USB flash drives, external hard drives to extend storage capacity.

game junky

Distinguished
The iPad is more comparable to the Window RT tablet (granted iOS has a HUGE marketplace by comparison)- when Apple releases a tablet running OSX (which will likely have a $1000+ price tag) then you can try to compare them on the same level.

I owned an iPad, I loved my iPad but it didn't fit in my life because it couldn't do some of the things I needed. Thus, I am rocking an ultrabook.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
The price for nothing but extra storage is ridiculous. The price of flash has dropped by 50% the past year. They should have kept the prices the same and just doubled the storage for the entire line up.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Supercrit[/nom]Apparently 128GB of flash memory costs more than $300 for Apple.[/citation]

Correction: Apparently 128GB of flash memory costs more than $300 for Apple Consumers that will adopt this blindly.

G

NAND is under $1/GB. Charging $100 for double the capacity is a crime.

halcyon

Splendid
I'll be surprised if this model sells well. Anyone really needing 128GB of onboard storage will likely be too saavy to spend that much on an iPad. ...just my opinion.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]drapacioli[/nom]True, but the iPad doesn't ship with the full Mac OS X OS or its capabilities, while the Surface Pro DOES ship with a full version of Windows 8 Pro and can truly run any program your desktop can, provided it has adequate processing and graphics power. I still think the price for both are outrageous, though[/citation]

The Surface Pro also has a USB port and SD card slot.
I have read that the USB port will support essentially any USB device, so I'm assuming you technically could connect an external harddrive albeit likely not a portable drive, but a desktop 3.5" external drive.

Regardless though, USB thumbdrives are up to 128GB capacities and offer more than enough room for music and videos (don't see the point of moving your entire video collection onto a tablet). We are also seeing external drives with WiFi now too, so you dont really need the space for media, but instead for applications.

It is a bit of a steep asking price considering for a little more you could get an ultrabook. Until the iPad offers OSX, the Surface is still the better true computing tablet. The iPad has ans still is a gimmick media device. The productivity apps available just dont have the same reliability and performance you can get on a laptop of desktop.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]people who want more storage are forced to buy this instead of just buying a cheap microSD card. we were talking about why there is no microSD... dumbass. "lol."[/citation]

If you cant afford it then dont buy it. Dont be mad kid.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]Correction: Apparently 128GB of flash memory costs more than $300 for Apple Consumers that will adopt this blindly.[/citation]

I too would like to know the justification for Apple charging high amount for flash memory. More so than even SSD drives at this point and Apple has always charged top dollar for memory in the MACs as well. Sure the memory is high-end but still more than PC equivalent. Do we have to buy the iPad 128GB? No, but its an option for those willing to pay for it and able to have multiple HD movies on the go.

Also Apple needs to phase out the 16GB version of iPad/iPhone for 32GB base and charge 16GB price. A must for next version of Apple devices!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]If you cant afford it then dont buy it. Dont be mad kid.[/citation]

You really are a chump for Apple products.

Don't justify paying a premium for certain features that were purposely limited or not put into a product.

Apple could include an SD card slot (its a fairly inexpensive HW addition) to engineer and put into a tablet. The total additional for Bill of Materials cost likely wouldn't exceed $10-15 (being very generous with this estimate), but instead Apple chooses do just replace the Flash with higher density NAND chips with no other HW changes.

Apple knows they can get away with it because people are willing to apy more. Give the customers an option for an SD card and I can guarantee a significant percentage of people will opt to pay for a lower storage capacity model.

So you may be willing to pay more for it, but you also so accept and realize that Apple is taking full advantage of you.

Personally to me, as a consumer, I would find that insulting shows Apple's true colors.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Patriot Gauntlet Node can give you 500gb of storage for 150 bucks if you feel the need to take all your crap with you when you leave the house.

Bigger numbers are innovative!

Status
Not open for further replies.