Apple Announces New Super-Skinny iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Core i5's AND Core i5's? Sounds like quite the selection of processors. >_>

Also, next time the article is about a new product, make sure to include a picture of said product and not just a panorama of previous models.

cobot

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
[citation][nom]bender3000[/nom]4 of the last 5 articles are Apple related topics......You guys are the Fox News of the tech world.[/citation]

Don't be ridiculous, mate, there was an apple event today whith quite a few makeovers/new products anounced. That is why there are many articles about apple in a row.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It does look beautiful. However, I do wish they'd managed to get a retina display in there. Obviously the yield/costs on the screens aren't quite there yet.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bender3000[/nom]4 of the last 5 articles are Apple related topics......You guys are the Fox News of the tech world.[/citation]
I actually appreciate Jane's articles and found them quite balanced, even though they do not always fit into the typical or standard geek's topics.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Quote " Now, customers will have to invest in an external USB optical drive if they really want that functionality."
Well...thank you very much apple for this added functionality ... now users will have some cables and external drive on their desk but hey ... "we shaved off a few mm off the back of the display "-that we don`t care and see anyway !!!
Apple to customers : "Trust us ... you don`t need optical drive ... everything is in the cloud now ! "

G

actually, he isn't being ridiculous at all.

the past few weeks their has been a steady flow of at LEAST 4-8 apple ARTICLES a day.

Why can't they post them all in one damn article?

Im done clicking the apple links to give toms Add revenue. Enough is enough. Bad enough the news is always late aswell.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]partytime[/nom]Humm... no Optical = No blu ray...[/citation]
Apple designed it that way not only to make it thinner but to get extra money out of people. Even if people don't buy an external optical drive they still get extra money by reducing production coast. But come on, is apple that cheap they cant include a $10 optical drive.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]The amount of money iSheep are willing to pay for these things is truly mind-boggling.[/citation]

How you iHaters must always post on Apple articles is more mind-boggling.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
3TB? No 4TB possibility? Well that's morbidly obese. At least it supports 3.5" drives.

I would assume it comes with both USB3 and thunderbolt just like the sandybridge macbook pros

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Who uses an optical drive any more? I got a macbook pro 2 years ago and never used the optical once. (I also have not used the optical on my gaming PC in about a year+ as well).

Its a dead technology......

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Who uses an optical drive any more? I got a macbook pro 2 years ago and never used the optical once. (I also have not used the optical on my gaming PC in about a year+ as well).Its a dead technology......[/citation]
Don't get me wrong. I like Steam, but absolutely hate having to wait for a 15+ GB game to download. It's only convenient to me because the only place to get games around here is the crappy wal-mart with a selection of PC games that only seems to include Star Craft and WoW.

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]It does look beautiful. However, I do wish they'd managed to get a retina display in there. Obviously the yield/costs on the screens aren't quite there yet.[/citation]

Retina displays are actually pretty cheap. The main reason they didn't add one in is because the graphics card wouldn't be able to drive a 27" retina display :)

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]It's not iHating to point out that spending $1300 on a 21" desktop (no matter how pretty) that contains a $50 graphics card and a $200 CPU is crazy.You're basically buying a high tech piece of tin foil... it's all shine and no substance. If their 27" model started at $1300, it would be a different story and actually a pretty good deal.[/citation]

Some people value specs, some value design. I can't find another PC whose computer fits into the back of the display like this. It's light (no bulky case to carry around) and thin. Those are factors too.

If you just cared about specs then why not compare any computer to a $300 GPU + $300 CPU + $300 monitor and say it's overpriced because it's > $1000?

If you want this kind of design, there is NO competition for Apple which is why they can charge so much. If you haven't realised it by now, they're not targeting tech-spec fans like us here at Tom's.

[citation][nom]panini[/nom]Some people value specs, some value design. I can't find another PC whose computer fits into the back of the display like this. It's light (no bulky case to carry around) and thin. Those are factors too.If you just cared about specs then why not compare any computer to a $300 GPU + $300 CPU + $300 monitor and say it's overpriced because it's > $1000?If you want this kind of design, there is NO competition for Apple which is why they can charge so much. If you haven't realised it by now, they're not targeting tech-spec fans like us here at Tom's.[/citation]
The last time I went into Fry's, they had many PC's designed as all in one monitor like systems, just like the iMac, although I'm sure not as thin, but that is purely an aesthetics deal. My nephew bought one with a touch screen, which he really enjoys using. Not that I'd buy one of these all in one deals for a desktop. They don't move, so I'd rather have the raw power of a tower PC.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Who uses an optical drive any more? I got a macbook pro 2 years ago and never used the optical once. (I also have not used the optical on my gaming PC in about a year+ as well).Its a dead technology......[/citation]
With the ability of nanoantenna technology to store up to three terabytes on a single disk, it's likely that optical disks will be with us for some time.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So when multiple Android phones are announced at once, Tom's will do a different article for each device?

RIGHT?

At least Jane's articles aren't filled with attempts at sneaking in Apple praise while bashing anything that isn't Apple like two others are known to do here.

So Good work on that Jane!

Status
Not open for further replies.