Apple Applies For Image-Based Authentication Patent

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So its basically what many anti bot measures use to thwart auto registrations and the like, how original of apple to abuse other peoples ideas over and over without giving credits where its due. Heck with apples wicked morale i bet they will patent it and then even try to sue the original inventor for stealing "their" idea!

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Sorry the most original thing I have seen was in 2007 when a company made a rectangle phone and they rounded the corners. I was like WOW this company is amazing!!

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
This is a backdoor patent. Apple will now sue everyone on the internet who has posted a picture of their face with their name underneath it.

G

MIDI Has been open to the public for 30 years I am surprised they have yet to do any PATENTS on it scince any musical device can just link and go with it

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]becherovka[/nom]Is this face unlock? So new!! Never seen anything so original.[/citation]

No its not face unlock. Its pictures and you have to identify what word symbolizes that picture to unlock you device. Not have the unit scan your face and unlock the device.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]becherovka[/nom]Sorry the most original thing I have seen was in 2007 when a company made a rectangle phone and they rounded the corners. I was like WOW this company is amazing!![/citation]

And it was a fingertouch smarthpone and now every company has copied that idea since they became successful.

Then they made a fingertouch tablet that made billions then every company copied that idea too.

But yah, just a company with a patent on rectangles with rounded edges that seems to have multi-billion dollar - multi-national tech companies copying their product ideas ?

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
you know, with the number of content-based image searches, and social networking sites like facebook and google+ etc...

Steps to break auth method:
1) Take picture of picture
2) CB Image search with that picture
3) High chance of getting it matched.
4) Repeat

twelve25

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]And it was a fingertouch smarthpone and now every company has copied that idea since they became successful.Then they made a fingertouch tablet that made billions then every company copied that idea too.But yah, just a company with a patent on rectangles with rounded edges that seems to have multi-billion dollar - multi-national tech companies copying their product ideas ?[/citation]

Ha Ha! Symbian smartphones with a touchscreen came out in 2000! Palm had the Treo in like 2003. Apple mozied along in 2007 and just made it cool.

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]And it was a fingertouch smarthpone and now every company has copied that idea since they became successful.Then they made a fingertouch tablet that made billions then every company copied that idea too.But yah, just a company with a patent on rectangles with rounded edges that seems to have multi-billion dollar - multi-national tech companies copying their product ideas ?[/citation]

Finally, someone with some sense.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Twelve25[/nom]Ha Ha! Symbian smartphones with a touchscreen came out in 2000! Palm had the Treo in like 2003. Apple mozied along in 2007 and just made it cool.[/citation]

Right and those phones are what spawned Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, LG, etc, etc to make finger touch SMARTPHONES !? LOL you can revise history all you want no doubt what impact the iPhone made to the mobile sector.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]lol apple didnt make the first phone with a touchscreen. how does that koolaid taste anyway?[/citation]

You do not understand the difference between first to market and what changed the market.

You can be first to market with a flying car and sell one to your mother.
Honda can make a flying car that establishes a market, sells, usher a brand new way of transportation and every manufacturer products flying cars.

Understand the difference at a market impact level, understand FINGER touch smartphone, not some stylus crap that sold a few thousand units, didn't compel competitors across the world to overhaul their product line up.

Sad when tech head just understand specs and dates without understanding implications on markets, competition, innovation, society, etc.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Apple was almost a decade late to the touchscreen smartphone arena. Just because they're successful doesn't mean they were the first.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada

"It was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touchscreen."

Have a nice day.

edit: no one is saying apple doesnt sell. everyone is saying apple creates nothing and patents everything.

if i create the first flying car, it is me that should hold the patents... not honda. if honda just copies my car and sells it en masse, i should get paid huge for it.

this is what inspires new things, creativity. not just copying someone elses work, selling lots of it and patenting it.

G

are you kidding me? Another "prior art" patent that Apple tried to con the US patent office to grant? I guess Apple has fully embraced the philosophy that "stupid people innovates, great company steals and patents and then sue". Instead of spending all the cash they have to really innovate and benefit mankind, Apple has evolved into an evil entity that steal old ideas and sues everyone so that they can get more money.

G

[And it was a fingertouch smarthpone and now every company has copied that idea since they became successful.

Then they made a fingertouch tablet that made billions then every company copied that idea too.

But yah, just a company with a patent on rectangles with rounded edges that seems to have multi-billion dollar - multi-national tech companies copying their product ideas ?]

You got that wrong. Apple copied others idea and make multi-billion dollars. And since the ideas were copied from somewhere else, other tech companies did not copy any ideas from Apple. But you are iSheep who worships Apple so how can we expect you to have any common sense?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]neon neophyte[/nom]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada"It was the first mobile phone with a capacitive touchscreen."Have a nice day.edit: no one is saying apple doesnt sell. everyone is saying apple creates nothing and patents everything.if i create the first flying car, it is me that should hold the patents... not honda. if honda just copies my car and sells it en masse, i should get paid huge for it.this is what inspires new things, creativity. not just copying someone elses work, selling lots of it and patenting it.[/citation]

You're right, it came out 1 month before the original iPhone.
Too bad no one even knows this phone, it did not usher in the finger touch smartphone era, even though it was ~30 days to market before the iPhone.

No one believes it was the LG Prada not the iPhone that causes the massive expansion of mobile apps. No one believes it was the LG Prade that made manufacturers like Samsung to overhaul their product lineup.

You're right, Prada was announced in Dec. 2006, iPhone Jan 2007, Prada released May 2007, iPhone June 2007. The entire sector changed due to the iPhone not the Prada, the Prada is an obscure footnote. Even LG's attempt to sue Apple had no basis since Apple showed they had plans for their finger touch smartphone in 2004.

Samsung's internal e-mails even showed they were fixated on making products similar to compete with the iPhone, even discusses the iPhone design and UI, the Prada and its 1 million sales in 6 quarters pales in comparison to the iPhone's.

The iPhone set the market, set the trend, made competitors change their lineups.

Even if the Prada came out 1 month before, my statement:

And it was a fingertouch smarthpone and now every company has copied that idea since they became successful.

Still holds true. No one cared to follow LG's footsteps, it was the success of Apple's iPhone that changed manufacturers to venture into touch smartphones.

Even RIM with their crappy first touch smartphone came out due to the success of Apple's iPhone, not the LG Prada.

Carriers fought to get the exclusive deals for the iPhone not the Prada. Google focused its efforts with Android to rival Apple's iOS not LG Prada's OS, not BB-OS, not Symbian, not Bada.

Honestly, if you think all the manufacturers copied the LG Prada not the iPhone that's your prerogative.
Apple changed the game with the iPhone and the iPad. No other cell phone manufacturer had as much impact in the market, consumers and society since.

Status
Not open for further replies.