Apple Awarded $1 Billion in Samsung Patent Case

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FullBurstMode

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
I like how some people make the jury out to be an omniscient infallible force of justice. The verge put it well, ‎"So, just to be clear, when faced with 700 decisions the jury was good to go. But when faced with two decisions, they need some guidance." - They awarded Apple damages on products that didn't infringe and then were baffled when this was brought up. Minor amounts in the grand scheme of of the one billion plus but it immediately casts at least some sort of doubt on the jury's ability to make important decisions like this (the judge had to leave the room to write explicit instructions on the two issues).

Also I'm a little skeptical of any group of people being able to come to a unanimous decision on over 700 points to consider in only two days. Then you consider the fact that different outcomes have been reached elsewhere (Apple have been ordered to apologise to Samsung in the UK, Apple are appealing - so many room for puns) and you realise it's not black and white as some people claim.

On the issue of patents, the issue is that patents shouldn't stifle adoption and innovation which is what Apple are doing with their draconian adoption of patents on all sorts of things (in part, the fault lies with the current patent system which is why people are up in arms about it). People throw the word innovation around seemingly without knowing what it really means (spoilers, not everything Apple does is innovation despite what some would claim).
“Regardless of the outcome of the trial, we might want to step back and consider whether society should be granting such powerful rights so easily. Are the features at issue here really deserving of so much protection?” asked Robin Feldman, a legal scholar at UC Hastings College of the Law and author of Rethinking Patent Law. “On the whole, the trial is one more indication of a patent system that has lost its bearings, with litigation rather than innovation leading the way.”

FullBurstMode

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]Read how the appeal will go down.http://www.groklaw.net/article.php [...] =pulsenews[/citation]I like how they point out that the jury basically ignored the laws, rules and instructions in place. So much for an infallible jury.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If I were Samsung, I'd be going "Hmm ... OK, Apple, the price of your components just went up by ... I dunno ... about $1 billion. Not all at once; you actually won't even notice."

The dumb iCrap fans would gladly pay the increase. That is how stupid and hoodwinked they are.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Samsung needs to Hire some underground Korean snipers to take care of the Apple issue . This is ridiculous . next law suit will be apple saying that they colored their phones white first and get another 1 billion

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Despite it all the great posts made here;some really excellent.
No matter how see it, is shit everywhere.

Apple sucks, too bully
Samsung sucks, too arrogant and stubborn
Apple trolls sucks, too iDiots
Samsung trolls sucks, too fAndroits
Jury selection sucks, too silicon valley based
Jury foreman sucks,Suddently; tells everybody is Captain America.Defender of patent holders and punisher of foreign companies.What an asshole.

USA patents office sucks,completely broken.Giving patents for basic Geometry is outrageous.

*/Sarcasm

Since you can patent something based on human movements determining actions, better start learning how to drive a car with your butt because will apply for :
"...a method for direct an automobile by hand turning a wheel..."

And start suing bastards

*/EndSarcasm

I am dead serious about "The people (or humanity) Vs the USA patent office" demand is needed.
Any patent based on human factors must be declared void and new applications put in the trashcan.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hey guys, did you know?

Probably no one is gonna read this, but I saw an article stating that Samsung paid their sue money with only 5c coins. Yes, 20Billion coins. They also released a press declaration on how they are not intimidated by this verdict or by Apple.

You guys at Toms should make an article out of this, we need some more trolling for Apple's lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.