Apple Blocking Intel Netbook CPUs in Mac OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
It'd be a real shame if they're actively going to start stopping the hackintosh community. Stopping the low lives like Psystar trying to make a quick buck off Apple's and the open source hackintosh community's hard work is one thing but actively stopping the hackintosh community isn't so great. A lot of people that have hacked OS X onto their PCs in the past have gone on to buy genuine Apple hardware after all.

I'm hoping that this is just a case of something breaking while they've updated other things. The rumors were that they originally wanted to use the Intel Atom platform but decided they didn't like the performance and so bought out PA Semi to make their own chips. If that's true then the initial support for Intel Atom likely wouldn't get updated and so could break with an update of something else. That's what I hope's the case anyway.

steveoh

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Sad, just sad on Apple's part...

But it should be noted that Marcus posted a (possibly) negative article about Apple.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
To me, at least, it simply seems like a horrible waste of their time, effort and resources. I can't see an even negligible amount of netbook users actually making the conscious decision to go though the trouble of changing OSes.

Seems like they could be using those resources on better things, like how to make *yet* more things out of aluminum that really don't need to be.

PodSix

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]squidrott[/nom]Seems like a stupid move. You'd think they'd want more people using their OS.[/citation]

Ah yes, but then you wouldn't be *elite.* In Apple's eyes it's like putting an Aston Martin DB9 V12 in a Chevy Monte Carlo. The only difference is that Aston would probably just write the Monte Carlo off as 'cute' and move on instead of trying to find ways to make the motor mounts somehow impossible to install in any other car than an Aston. The only problem is, and Apple has yet to learn this yet, that there will always be a way as long as there are people around who care to find a way.

jebbadiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
for apple it's money! the hard way, you don't buy, you don't get it! they've been getting a little more competetive in terms of price recently, because people aren't willing to pay their ridiculous amounts of money their things cost, but still a long way to go. i'll never understand why they're doing such things which only ignite sparks of anger. it would benefit the company when more people are interested in os x. but you don't buy, you don't get it CASH CASH CASH! as said before, it's a sad story!

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
If they did nothing to prevent OSX from running on non-Apples, there would be absolutely no reason to buy an Apple.
They make a FORTUNE selling overpriced hardware, the only appeal is OSX.
If OSX could run on a cheap netbook, now why would anyone pay for the overpriced Apple? Ofcourse they are going to try to stop hackintosh!

matchboxmatt

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Well, Apple does make a majority of their money on hardware sales, not their operating system. As far as they're concerned, they consider their OS more of a feature of their computers rather than a public platform.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This obviously has nothing to do with the fact that the vast majority of Hackintosh netbooks are using pirated copies of OS X Snow Leopard? Right? Right?

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Wow.. it's that true? how can be that possible, how are they going gain a bigger share of the market if they allow less users to run their stuff??

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I don't think Apple did it just to block hacked netbooks. Rumor has it their tablet was originally going to run an Intel Atom, hence the support for the processor. If they aren't going to use Atom processors in any of their hardware, they have no reason to bloat the OS to support it at the software level.

Everyone running OSX on a hacked netbook should go back to 10.5 Leopard to be safe. You wouldn't want to accidentally download the 10.6.2 update.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Fuck Apple's Big Brother approach at this! If they would just stop being dicks about this kind of stuff, they would sell more copies of their OS!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
actually unlike windows with their 12 layer copy protection DRM passkey system that you must go through for every update, Apple doesn't have any of that for their OS. OSX is very easy to pirate because their license scheme almost has no DRM other than apple hardware. You could almost make an ISO of OS 10.6 and install it on any apple computer since Apple has nearly no OS license security.

I think Apple is just trying to cut down on their pirated OSX since a majority of the hackintosh users are not using store bought OSX.

mcreskiller

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
@kingssman updating is great on windows the only time you gota put in a cd key is at install and the only time you gota call windows is if you get a new motherboard and then you just tell em to move the cd key (iv done it many times)

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]I don't think Apple did it just to block hacked netbooks. Rumor has it their tablet was originally going to run an Intel Atom, hence the support for the processor. If they aren't going to use Atom processors in any of their hardware, they have no reason to bloat the OS to support it at the software level.Everyone running OSX on a hacked netbook should go back to 10.5 Leopard to be safe. You wouldn't want to accidentally download the 10.6.2 update.[/citation]

You're confused. You don't need software support for the processor, it runs x86 code. I can run Windows 2000 on it, and I'm pretty sure Microsoft didn't have software support for the Atom designed into it, since it predated it by more than half a decade.

It should work out of the box. Maybe it's deliberate (most likely), or maybe Apple just never bothered to test with it (unlikely, but possible). Either way, it's Apple's OS, and they can do what they want with it. I don't understand why people think somehow they have a right to tell Apple what they should do with something they created. They own it, the public doesn't.

Whether or not it's good for them in the long run though, is another question. Normally, when companies try this type of thing, it backfires and ends up being short-sighted. Not always, but most of the time.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]mcreskiller[/nom]@kingssman updating is great on windows the only time you gota put in a cd key is at install and the only time you gota call windows is if you get a new motherboard and then you just tell em to move the cd key (iv done it many times)[/citation]

I know! but i've taken hard drives out of Powermac G5's running OSX 10.4 and placed them into G4s and vice versa and never ran into a "license" issue at all. I've even "cheated" and put a box copy of 10.5 on both desktop and laptop using the same disk and install key. OSX license security is very relaxed because they use the "mac hardware only" rule as their method of DRM. That's also why OSX is only $69.00 and windows 7 is $194.99

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]and yet another apple item by marcus yam[/citation]

ffs stop it already, toms has clearly stated that they are gonna do apple articles - whether we want it or not - and Marcus must just be the staff member most in the know on apple related issues (and lord knows they have lots of 'issues'). its not like he's sneaking into toms at night trying to infect toms with Apple propaganda! As the comment above said, this is hardly a positive article!

As for the article, just brining to light more of Apple's anti competitiveness, and while hackintoshing does encourage more people to use OSX it doesn't encourage people to buy it, even using a legal copy with other hardware is against the EULA, so whats the point, may as well pirate it.

I just love it:

Jobs: "we aren't going to make a netbook, we just don't see a market for these 'crap' computers."

"Oh really? it seems like there are lots of people running OSX on existing netbooks?"

"Hmm... Just a sec..."
*BLOCK*BLOCK*BLOCK*
"There... What people?? As I said, there is NO MARKET!!"

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]podsix[/nom]To me, at least, it simply seems like a horrible waste of their time, effort and resources. I can't see an even negligible amount of netbook users [/citation]

Negligible? I've seen a lot of portable computers at my college, and so far, 2 of those have been laptops. The rest have been netbooks.

Maybe it's different everywhere else, but I see netbooks on planes, trains, and yes, automobiles: Public buses.

Status
Not open for further replies.