Apple Calls Out U.S. Government’s Statements As Misleading Or Inaccurate

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Apple is a little full of themselves. IOS is the most targeted platform in history? That title obviously belongs to Windows. IOS is only 17% market share in its sector. Now if it said iOS is the most compromised platform in history, they might be correct.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Apple is a little full of themselves. IOS is the most targeted platform in history? That title obviously belongs to Windows. IOS is only 17% market share in its sector. Now if it said iOS is the most compromised platform in history, they might be correct.
Nha, that award goes to OS X :)

Snowden's already proven that if he exists, and has done what he has done, its plausible that more like him exist. More like him can exist within Apple, or any of the alphabet agencies, and even more likely within the local law enforcement agencies.

Worse still, are those that might leak for personal gain.

The real issues should be the widespread lack of confidence in our government and their competency in any matter. They should show at least a token amount of respect for the peoples' collective opinion and do something about that.

The only way out of this, and every other problem, here in the States, and around the world is better education, better pay and better incentives for the educators.

Even then its a really long road to travel, but at least it leads somewhere worth going.

It is easy to see both sides of this argument, but what I don't understand is when the FBI got the phone it was a company phone and the company gave the FBI the password so they could review the contents. Then the FBI had the phone's password reset rather then check the phone 1st. So are we in this mess because of the incompetence of the government investigators that had the phone or was there a method to this madness? Why did they forces it the iPhone to reset the password? Were they hopping to force Apple to make a backdoor by doing so or are they just stupid?

It is easy to see both sides of this argument, but what I don't understand is when the FBI got the phone it was a company phone and the company gave the FBI the password so they could review the contents. Then the FBI had the phone's password reset rather then check the phone 1st. So are we in this mess because of the incompetence of the government investigators that had the phone or was there a method to this madness? Why did they forces it the iPhone to reset the password? Were they hopping to force Apple to make a backdoor by doing so or are they just stupid?

If the FBI hadn't ordered the password reset, they would have been able to get all or most of the information they wanted. If that happened, there wouldn't be any precedent set in court. That was intentional imho. They never had the password, just the ability to reset it.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
apple makes a lot of good points about the obvious contradictions in their filings.

"do it for us and no other country can make you" "you did it for china, do it for us"

"we don't want a precedent and this case says it's ok" "that case says, don't use this case as a precedent"

and the others. the fbi is hoping that all logic and intelligence can go out the window like ti does for everything else in politics. i don't blame them as they are just repeating what works for the parties on a daily basis as well. they flip flop every day and stick to emotional arguments that completely ignore any and all facts that don't help their case.

the fbi is just trying to do the same thing. unfortunately for them, the (federal) court system does not work that way as often. they still look at actual facts and logical arguments before weighing the emotional side of it. i sure hope they stick to the facts here and tell the fbi to piss off.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Apple is a little full of themselves. IOS is the most targeted platform in history? That title obviously belongs to Windows.

apple may be talking about the jailbreaking scene which stockpiles vulnerabilities to get into the os and actively seeks more as quickly as apple closes them. i think a lot of windows vulnerabilities are built into other programs. MS patches windows often and it probably does win with sure numbers in use. add in how much longer windows has been in use and of course it has been hit more often. sounds like apple doing a bit of the emotional arguments themselves. (that and apple is always a bit delusional when it comes to their own importance to the world)

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
Rarely do I side with Apple, but I'll be damned if I'm not proud as hell of them for taking a stand.

Agreed. 100% a windows and android guy but this is awesome.
Did anyone get excited reading this? Even though I know this case is probably very boring to watch, I picture this playing out like a movie with fun lawyers

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not bored in any way :D in fact i'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the hearing date. i'd actually go if i could and sit in the courtroom for this one.

there is so much at stake here and it is nice to an actual large influential company actually the one to take up the cause. normally it's some weak company that can't really fight that gets picked on. but apple has the resources to do it right and to drag it out as long as needed to make sure the right decision is made.

I feel like Apple is going to win the battle, but we're all going to lose the war. The CIA created shell companies in order to secretly buy from Russia. I feel like the government at any time, if not already, have any number of companies they operate all around the world ready to hawk their services to us at the low, low price of freedom.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
If one of the richest corporations Earth has ever known fails to defend itself from unjust legislation, what hope do individuals have?

mopman411

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
In this situation I agree with Apple. That said I want to point something out that no one has identified.

The mobile device that was used was property of San Bernardino. Had this device been controlled by San Bernardino with a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution the FBI would not be asking for Apple to crack their own technology. With MDM the owner, in the case the local government agency, can send an unlock to the device. Once unlocked the local password could be changed to one that is known.

The fact that they are not using an MDM solution is concerning and the reason why is because they wouldn't have control of their mobile infrastructure. They would have no solution for compliance of a device and no method to retrieve information from the device when needed, or requested. The un-managed mobile device becomes an extension of the agencies infrastructure and adds additional attack surface area but, at the same time, remains a black hole for security and audit purposes.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
stop trying to bring logic into an argument that is based on anything but :p

this is what apple been saying. nothing adds up that the fbi is saying. they want a precedent plain and simple and no matter how obvious it is to everyone, they will keep pretending this is about something else.

thuckabay

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
The governments arguments and assertions in this case demonstrate extremely well the corruption, ineptness, and general overreach of our federal government, and is sadly reflective of governments everywhere in this fallen world. Apple's lucid and extremely well-considered arguments should give it an easy victory over the federal government's godless evil. However, it is a fact that many of our court's judges are equally compromised, inept and ungodly today, so let us all pray that Apple succeeds in this and that our privacy and security are protected. I for one have never owned a single Apple product, and the last Apple products I used were Apple IIc microcomputers decades ago. But, Apple's efforts here are enough to make me consider their products going forward. May Apple succeed in this case and trounce our satanic government.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Rarely do I side with Apple, but I'll be damned if I'm not proud as hell of them for taking a stand.

Agreed. 100% a windows and android guy but this is awesome.
Did anyone get excited reading this? Even though I know this case is probably very boring to watch, I picture this playing out like a movie with fun lawyers

Its not just Apple here. You havent been paying attention. There have been Friends of the Court filings and other acts in support of Apple from:
Google
MS
Intel
Twitter
Ebay
AT&T Mobility
Samsung
ACLU
EFF
and more

Status
Not open for further replies.