Apple CEO Tim Cook Says OLED Displays are Awful

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
What kind of OLED screen was he looking at? And most importantly, was it calibrated?

According to Anandtech, the Surface Pro gives terrible color out of the box, but some of the best colors available once calibrated. The difference between calibrated and uncalibrated is really that big.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Something tells me that he mistook shitty AMOLED for OLED, lol. It's a common mistake in the ranks of retarded noobs (98% of which make regular Apple's consumer base).

flyflinger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Strange timing of this comment considering Apple is working on low cost devices that are likely *not* going to have Retina display.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
In other words...we are preparing to launch your long rumored iTV, and you are trying to discredit the current industry standard to your proprietary standard. Par of the course in Apple tactics

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I haven't used an OLED phone as a daily-user, but I can say that on my phone that uses a standard IPS LCD display, I never have the brightness level set over 40% of the maximum. So if an OLED screen is TRULY "half as bright" as an IPS (or IPS-like) screen, I can't see how it would matter.

I also didn't realize that the color reproduction of OLED panels was THAT BAD (nor that the color reproduction of the most recent iphone was that good)...maybe he thinks it's just weird to use a panel that can reproduce true black, and by virtue of that, it makes relative color reproduction seem off. To be quite frank, the color reproduction of the iphone doesn't really look much better or worse than most other phones--and in my opinion, the colors of most phones all look over-saturated and blown out, and very few actually reproduce colors in an accurate manner.

Also, this article--as if it's a surprise given the author--is just a mishmash of Tim Cook saying how Apple is still better--LOL, 30% of it is talking about the app ecosystem, blah blah blah, despite the title of the article being about OLED screens. I have to be honest, Apple is mainly resting on their laurels now, and hasn't produced anything that inspires innovation in quite some time. The experience of using, say, youtube on an iphone vs. a modern android phone is no comparison--on the iphone it feels old and dumb and is a terrible youtube experience. Using it on an android phone is more like the experience of using it on a standard computer, which is pretty nice IMHO.

Ironic that he talks about how the sepc's of a phone don't matter if the user experience is great. I dunno, I think the experience of my android is leaps and bounds better than that of an iphone, and its specs beat the hell out of the latest iphone. I know, android fanobyism, blah blah. I'm not saying Android is the best, or the best for anyone (it has its own problems), but it would be nice for the leader of a company to stop deluding himself by living in the past. And I do agree, the spec's don't matter if the experience is good, but what if the user doesn't like the experience? Isn't that one of the fundamental issues with the relatively poor acceptance of the iphone5 vs. previous generation releases?

Pot, meet kettle...

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Gosh, I don't know how you can get that badge and rank with your attitude.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Without Steve Jobs, the apple withers, rots, and gets worms and is eaten from the inside out. Who wants to take votes that Apple will be in for round 2 of bail outs by Microsoft or Bill Gates in the n ext 24 months.

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
"You don't see a lot of people doing PC apps. The innovation has all moved to tablets and smartphones."
Oh wow. I'm just going to sit down and let the arrogance and stupidity of this statement waft over me.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]bisso[/nom]The key word is : Customer, you have to pay ,99$ for a stupid I broke my phone joke app.1. While Apple screens have indeed an outstanding color reproduction, the selling pitch for these screen is RETINA, which was meant to be for ultra high pixel density. The thing is, while the first screen to wear the name Retina had indeed an impressive pixel density, every other display that came out from other mobile products were inferior, lowering the bar to call a display retina. Meanwhile, Samsung, the guys Cook is comparing, make their display units. And their OLED dispays that are so "bad" actualy now have near as twice the amount of pixel density as the Retina. I am actualy suprised no one tried to remove this name as it's now a false advertisment, as it doesn't provide the minimum quality Apple advertised it to be in the first place.You, old idiotic *****. First you tell us that Processor power means shit in mobile devices. Then you take 30 minutes in your keynotes to talk how 4x faster your new product is compared to your previous. And how 15x (false also) faster it is compared to a 3 years old (and half the price range at retail) phone from another company. If it aint important, why do you brag about your shitty phone performance?This old man doesn't know how to run a multi billion business, but he sure does know how to be one of the greatest troll on Earth.[/citation]

TBH, most AMOLED screens that are 720p or more are PenTile, so their "actual" pixel density could be considered lower.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
HAHAHA :breath: HAHAHAHA Really!? This is really what Apple is reduced to? I'm no Apple fan and even I'm embarrassed for them. Even if you just want to tout your own product you can't come across so blatantly bias that you just look foolish; especially if you are the CEO for God's sake.
He may as well have said "Oh that over there...? Um...thats nothing. Just ignore that. We offer you the experience" LOL what a joke.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
"We built an ecosystem that is the best customer experience on the planet,"

Uhhhh... yeah, constantly emptying dumb isheep customer's wallets.

Apple's Erection Display is crappy compare to OLED and ASUS' IPS displays. Everyone knows that.

Cook talks big knowing he cant win the war.

Last time I checked, I could adjust color settings through a monitor and through my PC. This must mean Apple has no plan at accessing resources or suppliers of OLED tech. OLED is the upcoming standard in low-power high-quality display tech. Anyone who says otherwise has no real plan.

This dude is definitely no Steve Jobs. Everytime Cook is photographed, his facial expression appears as if he is always squeezing his buttocks so tightly as to keep a turd from dropping out.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Kinda surprised at some of the comments about OLED not giving accurate colors?... My expertise certainly isn't graphics but i remember my old tube tv (22 inch we were balling back then) with wood paneling that you had to bang the living crap out of to get to play right. My GS3 seems like a graphics Godsend. Can someone who knows what they are talking about elaborate on why they are not "accurate" colors. I mean blue is blue correct? Or am i missing something here.

john_e

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I'm always amazed by Apple and both their former and current CEO's Steve Jobs and now Tim Cook's Hypocrisy!!!!!

Let it be known that the manufacture that produces both OLED and RETINA iPad displays is the same company SAMSUNG!!!!!!!

FROM WIKI:
The displays are manufactured by different suppliers. Currently, the iPad's display comes from Samsung. The Macbook Pro displays are made by LG, along with the iPhone and iPod Touch displays.

FROM WIRED:
Samsung, a company firmly aligned with Android and one of Apple’s largest competitors in the mobile space, is manufacturing the new iPad’s flagship feature.

game junky

Distinguished
Wow - it's like you took Judd Nelson's character from Breakfast Club and made him shadow Steve Jobs for a month or two and then gave him the reins. He has the same "we're the best" mentality that Steve had except he feels like he has to bash his competition to prove it. What a tool

Yes, I like the Retina display on my 5 and yes, I would hate to have try to store a Galaxy note in my pocket but those OLED screens are plenty bright and clean to me. Stop making headlines with what you say about your competition and make them with good products that satisfy your customers.

fujin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
"You don't see a lot of people doing PC apps" They're called PROGRAMS.
"The innovation has all moved to tablets and smartphones" 85% of that "innovation" is time wasting garbage, and it's created on PC's, using PROGRAMS.
I'm sure this guy doesn't actually believe his statements, but he's trying to dumb people up, Not cool mr. CEO guy

fujin

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
"You don't see a lot of people doing PC apps" They're called PROGRAMS.
"The innovation has all moved to tablets and smartphones" 85% of that "innovation" is time wasting garbage, and it's created on PC's, using PROGRAMS.
I'm sure this guy doesn't actually believe his statements, but he's trying to dumb people up, Not cool mr. CEO guy

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
"Elsewhere, Cook confirmed that Apple has paid $8 billion to app makers since iOS' inception."

That statement almost makes it sound like the developers didn't earn it.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
he is just crying because samsung wont sell their latest OLED tech to apple and they have to settle for market leftovers...
do not spoil a relationship with the top manufacturer of the world unless you have are prepared to do the manufacturing yourself..

G

He added that the majority of consumers either don't know or don't care how fast the processor is on a mobile device or PC, which doesn't matter if the experience is great.

Maybe he should have a look at the first iPhone so he can figure out why that device was so incredibly successful and why the company is the technology giant it is today.

The first iphone featured a brand new market with state of the art hardware for its time. With an envelope to expand and grow.

It was not a device that had sub par hardware and an amazing user experience. It had exceptional hardware which enabled a great user experience to boot. Not to mention it was a new way of doing mobile communication that had a learning curve compared to traditional cell phones.

As people catch on to your technology, they want to do more with it. Once people started to get comfortable with the personal computer, they used it for more. In the 80s and 90s, nerds "played" with computers, now everyone uses one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS