Apple CEO Tim Cook Trash Talks Android

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure about getting what you pay for in the phone market. Apple's been ripping people off for years when it comes to phones and other products. The Apple marketing team has done a great job of making the Apple brand a status symbol and convincing people they're smart for owning Apple products. You are paying more for their products to show people how smart you are and/or that you're part of an exclusive 'cool' club.

Apple has the best marketing team in the business.

Infinite_Reality

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2003
What a surprise, a CEO defending his products? I can't believe it. It seems as though apple thinks that because they were first to to market with a touch screen phone, they're still top dog...it matters how you finish apple. Others have come around and done it better, time to take a back seat.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
To fix the Android fragmentation problem, Google should just force all OEMs to use Stock Android. They can theme it however they like with a different launcher, appearance, apps, whatever, but leave the core ROM alone. They can add whatever apps they like to give their phones special "features," but at the end of the day it's still the same basic software that can be updated. It's not like 99 percent of ROMs like Touchwhiz and Sense couldn't be replicated in this manner.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Google's making some effort to help make the fragmentation problem less impacting on users. Pushing API updates through Google Play services, and breaking off a lot of their core apps to be downloadable from Google Play.

What this means, is that a user of a slightly older version of Android will have good application compatibility, and may only miss out on some extra features added through the incremental updates.

Google is basically doing what it can to try to make sure their new features reach as many customers as possible.

Meanwhile, Apple has a history of restricting new features to only their newest devices... to pressure their users into upgrading.

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

To be fair though, apple wasn't even the first to hit the touch screen market, there was the LG chocolate and Sidekick.

LinuxRants

Honorable
Sep 19, 2013
"And so by the time they exit, they’re using an operating system that’s three or four years old. That would be like me right now having in my pocket iOS 3. I can’t imagine it."

Either Tim Cook doesn't know much about Android, or he's intentionally misleading people that believe what he says. An Android OS update is not like an iOS update. Virtually every service has been disconnected from the OS itself. An Android user doesn't need to wait for an OS update to have the newest browser software or maps app, and the user interface can be changed subtly or dramatically at any time, regardless of which version of Android is running.

With iOS, it's quite the reverse. Just your iPhone reports back that you're using the latest and greatest OS doesn't mean you get all the features.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I am sorry, I failed to see what Samsung has done that was so innovative. Make a phone with a bigger screen? have a removable battery? Put faster hardware in their device every year? Samsung does not even rework their industrial design.....ever. The Android software is the only thing that actually has some level of innovation but a huge number of the population can't even enjoy the innovations because companies like Samsung won't release the upgrades for all of their devices or at least devices up to 4 years old which would at least be acceptable.

You complain and complain and complain about Apple products when you should be complaining to Samsung to at least get you up to date on your OS.

Anyone want to place a bet that Samsung will have a biometric device in their phone next?

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I don't speak for everyone here but i'm not cheering Samsung on either, mainly Google. They are the ones who do the leg work and make the OS and they are the ones who trust their consumers enough to not lock them up in a restrictive environment like IOS. By this point I'm surprised that iPhones don't with a complementary ball and chain. As for Samsung and innovation, you could say that atleast they founded the so called "phablet" market if you believe it is a real thing, apple wasn't the first to make the touch screen phone or the first tablet. Also I do believe that atleast Samsung is working on a bendable glass so if that materializes one day then you can chalk that up to their board as well.

Also please don't call it a "biometric device" like its really a dedicated piece of sophisticated hardware and not just software that remembers your fingerprint.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

This is actually pretty inaccurate. Samsung has been doing all sorts of different stuff with their smartphones recently. Look at all of the S4 variants alone including the Active and the Zoom. They have the Galaxy Camera, the Gear smart-watch. Granted, not all of these are life altering innovations, but they are at least trying new ideas. Also, the OS upgrade holdup is awful, I agree. However, that problem is largely due to ATT and Verizon dragging their feet and forcing lots of testing and and other regulatory nonsense.

Apple arguably hasn't innovated anything since the first generation iPad. I mean really think about it. What new idea have they had since then? Please don't say fingerprint scanner or 64 bit CPU as both of those are evolutionary changes that many manufacturers either have planned or are about to release at the exact same time (HTC One phablet).

No one is saying that Samsung is the new Apple, but what we are saying is that Apple as it is today is a shadow of what it used to be and has become largely reactive (see my above post). They have nowhere to go but down because they can't think outside the box anymore. Reputation from the good times will keep them up there maybe another year or two but if nothing changes they will be the next Nokia or Blackberry.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"... Tim Cook looks at that stat to suggest that even though there are more Android devices sold, people are using their iPhones and iPads more often."

There must be some kind of disconnect in Tim's brain. How does mobile traffic data directly relates to the device being used more or less?

People in the right mind knows what he said makes absolutely NO sense.

tbake

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I'm sure many think that apple is first here... Apple is NOT first with the "biometric scanner". The Motorola Atrix had a fingerprint scanner long ago, and this may have not been the first. IT worked flawlessly, at least on my phone.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

This is exactly that kind of thinking going on in Apple management now that cause their product to lose market share. Apple management must be thinking, no we don't want bigger screen, no we don't want removable battery, no we don't want stylus, nor microSD slot either. Meanwhile, there are customers who want some of these features, found out Apple products do not have it, and bought Android device. This is call giving up the market share willingly via self limiting. Just because you are happy with your Apple device as it is does not mean other people think the same way. Product differentiation is simple marketing strategy and Apple is doing a good job ignoring it.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Today I downloaded my power point presentation directly off my company's file server (logged into the network domain with my tablet), I then went to a customer, plugged my tablet into their projector and presented my power point from that android tablet...

Oh and the apps to do this cost me nothing.

There may be more fragmentation on the android side of things, but the capabilities of these devices are far more expansive than anything apple has to offer. Until that changes and I can use an iDevice in a business environment its android for me.

oarking

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Really? Buying an outdated phone is like running an outdated operating system? What a fantastic quote, not to mention headline. My Android is 3 years old and yet is running the latest 4.3 with very little effort or technical know-how on my part. If I was using an iPhone from 3 years ago I'd get a bogged down device that couldn't run half of the new features. I understand the point Cook is trying to make, he's just not doing a good job of it. It's not a bad thing that older Android phones are still viable.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Haha, what a pathetic b*tthurt loser Cook is. I bet he will be looking for a new job by the end of next year. He's killing Apple slowly with the lack of innovation he's responsible of. And lately he's just been sad to watch, whining about all the competition instead of fixing the nearly stale progress at Apple.

jongmr23

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Steve jobs have failed before when he hired the Pepsi CEO... guess what? he did it again.. OOPS!! too bad, hes not around anymore to save his company... apple phone will be like blackberry.... doomed

jongmr23

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013
Steve jobs have failed before when he hired the Pepsi CEO... guess what? he did it again.. OOPS!! too bad, hes not around anymore to save his company... apple phone will be like blackberry.... doomed

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
iOS 3 is not bad, if you ignore the fact that no downloaded apps run on it anymore. I would also like to say that Android feels like it is for people who care more about specs and do their homework before they buy. Apple users just buy an iphone, wait 1-2 years, then get a new one. Essentially, Tim Cook is saying that the general consumer is too ignorant to check the operating system and how old it is. Kind of ironic, because several cellphone service companies still sell the iPhone 4 and 4S, which are going to be unable to receive updates in 1-2 years.

XM Keeper

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
iOS 3 is not bad, if you ignore the fact that no downloaded apps run on it anymore. I would also like to say that Android feels like it is for people who care more about specs and do their homework before they buy. Apple users just buy an iphone, wait 1-2 years, then get a new one. Essentially, Tim Cook is saying that the general consumer is too ignorant to check the operating system and how old it is. Kind of ironic, because several cellphone service companies still sell the iPhone 4 and 4S, which are going to be unable to receive updates in 1-2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.