Apple Changes Tune, Will Accept Cash for iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wow a lucky woman! She deserved that free Ipad after going through all that!
I would have been so bummed out if i saved for that long, just to be told "Sorry we don't accept cash"

Apple made a mess, but they cleaned up after themselves very properly on this one. Whale on them for the initial no-cash BS all you like, but this move will have them smelling like a rose and will probably get turned into a case study on customer service. This was damage control done right: "we f'ed up, now let's fix it."
No, I'm not an Apple fan and would not buy a proprietary iPad, iPud, or anything else from them myself; this is kudos from a management perspective.

G

< looks at money > "This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

I guess the Federal Reserve didn't get the memo from Apple.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
And this is supposed to make us all feel "warm and fuzzy" about this wipe-out the bad press gambit.

What a lovely company! (NOT!)

G

Call it what you will, but at least someone in the upper management of Apple has a brain.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Well, I'm glad she got a free iPad from this whole stink.
I feel sorry for her, because you know it must have been very dissapointing. Saving and scraping each week, and then when she could finally go and buy one, she got shot down hard.

Apple is a PR machine, as such it made the best move. It makes me wonder if they ever did anything for the little girl they sent a C&D order to over fanmail saying it would be cool if her iPod showed lyrics.

G

That's great news for Diane. I guess it is supposedly a nice gesture from apple but somehow when I was reading I wanted to punch this apple sr VP in the face, just has a sleazy feel and I dont know why..

G

Treasury agents should be down there serving a no knock warrant on those people. Take down to the station for 48 hours while trying to come up with the charges. That'll teach them who's boss...

Actually all stores have to take paper money, they cannot say we will not accept cash because on the each dollar bill there is the phrase..

This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Maybe in the days before credit and bank-bank or electronic transactions you had to accept cash, since it was the only version of money truly available?

I don't really know, but I'm thinking you have to accept "US Dollars" as legal tender, but you can determine the waythat you receive it?

That would explain why, according to the original article:
Despite cash being "legal tender," the U.S. Treasury Department says that there is nothing in the law that requires businesses to accept cash as payment.

That said, it's also possible that the people U.S. Treasury Department doesn't know it's own laws. Politicians and people in public services are often the least well versed on their own jobs.

All in all, good for Apple for making good.
I hate their company, like some of their products (a lot), but credit where credit is due, they made good this time. They are not complete cretins anymore.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
What would be incredibly awesome is if Diane was not actually disabled and had been working on buying dozens to sell overseas for an enormous profit.

producepete

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
BTW, a quick Google search yields this directly from the Treasury Department in regards to the question does a business have to accept cash?:

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
while I cannot stand Apple, I have to give them credit for stepping up and doing the right thing here. It is so rare to see companies like Apple, whether they be tech or otherwise, actually just plain do what's right.

G

Yeah I heard that she reported it to the local news station. I wonder if the staff was fired lol!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Maybe we are looking at this the wrong way
Maybe its not "Apple" the company who are the cause of all the retail stink stories
Maybe it is just separate cases of some pinheaded mindless nimrod who just happens to work at an Apple store exerting the tiny iota of personal power over someone and wrapping it up in made-up "rules"
Maybe Apple fosters that kind of attitude in the people it employs
MAybe Apple only employs people that moronic to begin with

robcope1965

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As much as I am antiApple, I am glad to see they took care of this disabled woman. She did something we could all take a lesson from. She is obviously living with in her means. Thanks Apple for once

Status
Not open for further replies.