Apple Comments on EPEAT Withdrawal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Reminds me of an Oatmeal comic: http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal [...] one/10.png"You bring up war, poverty, famine in a conversation and you'll find a barren vacuum of opinions. You announce what phone you have (or company you like) and you have to spend the next hour enduring an obnoxious holy war."Don't get upset, you're not going to win this argument because the other person's ears are shut so you're yelling at a wall, effectively...[/citation]
+1 you for the wall comment because I believe it is like talking to a wall here. As for the left wing right wing deal, that isn’t me. I have both phones (iPhone and Droid) and know very well the pros and cons of each. What gets me is every time I see a story like this some "right/left wing people" need to start bashing one maker or the other and in most cases have no clue what the hell they are talking about. Then, to top it off, I make a comment and people reply to it talking about things that have nothing to do with my post. It’s either they cannot read or lack reading comprehension.

G

@dheadley

nothing wrong with using adhesives they degrade with the application of heat to allow for the retrieval of recyclable components

you cant do this for batteries that have been glued in, and batteries are one of the most toxic components, the inability to process batteries and remove and recycle these substance is a serious issue

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST!!! My post was about someone bringing up the Foxconn crap again. Did you even read my post???? Can you read????[/citation]
Your post about "Foxconn crap" doesn't stand. While many companies are using it, Apple is the biggest consumer of "Focxonn crap", hence its the most responsible.
On the other hand, Apple is also the one with BIGGEST margins out of all listed companies.

Everything is cool when you look at it from business perspective, but it's a stinky company, when you take moral into account. No need to be hysterical.

Jun 20, 2012
Ew, you can tell this is post Jobs. Apple is going to crash, governed by non-Jobsians. Right now it's "We are Apple, you are plebians! Question us not!". Later it will be some sort of begging, sniveling, sorry we f-d up please save us, BS>

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I never thought I'd say this but I am with Apple on this one, EPEAT is known has being nothing more than a rubber stamp; just like the EnergyStar stamp. The standards don't matter, cause no one really cares. You submit, they stamp, you now have an advertising gimmic for all the sheep.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So environmental impact is ONLY energy efficiency now all of a sudden? What about all the highly toxic and hard to dispose materials used during the manufacturing processes or during recycling, the repair ability allowing a unit to be serviced and reused rather than replaced? Apple is so full of bullshit - Its all to improve profit without taking responsibility!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]OK, for the 100th time now, Apple is not the only one using Foxconn (which seems to come up in all things Apple no matter if it's related or not). Just about every electronic device in your house was made in China and most of that was made by a Foxconn worker. So when they say a Foxconn worker jumped why is it that people like you ASSume that it was one working on a freaking iPad?The below use Foxconn:Acer Inc.Amazon.comApple Inc.CiscoDellHewlett-PackardIntelMicrosoftMotorola MobilityNintendoNokiaSamsung ElectronicsSonyToshibaVizioAnd many more. See anything you own??[/citation]

And for the 100th time, who is the biggest offender? The company that earn the most from each item produced due to having its own sheep pen of customers willing to pay more for pretty much the same hardware because its in a shiny case and locked into the same pen as the rest of the company's hardware - software wise.

Or the companies that are locked into fierce competition and are forced to use the cheapest possible manufacturing plants because their competition does so, its no excuse but it makes a step back that much harder because the whole industry needs to change.

Who is the biggest offender? The one that gains the most or the one that are forced into using it? For me that answer is REALLY simple!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]I have to wonder - how does my Brother MFC-9840CDW meet that when it pulls up to 900W while warming up and printing? Granted, it is a color laser printer, but still...[/citation]

laser printers use a tremendous amount of electricity when being powered on... it is a very temporary spike

Ok so if you exceed a standard, why would you simply not have these products registers on a standard that you surpass? Especially if the standard is widely recognized? I also like how Apple spins this topic to make it sound like they are to good for this standard because they do more than it requires. It's like saying "I have a commercial pilot license so why in the world would I need a Class C drivers license?". Shut up Apple. Shut up.

I also hate when people use the word "comprehensive" in IT almost as much as I hate the word "robust". (although I see it wasn't in Apple's direct quote) Anyone can spin those words. "Excuse me while I go take a comprehensive bathroom break and test my buildings robust excrement evacuation systems."

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Your post about "Foxconn crap" doesn't stand. While many companies are using it, Apple is the biggest consumer of "Focxonn crap", hence its the most responsible.On the other hand, Apple is also the one with BIGGEST margins out of all listed companies.Everything is cool when you look at it from business perspective, but it's a stinky company, when you take moral into account. No need to be hysterical.[/citation]
Sounds pretty childish to me. Reminds me of when I was a kid and one kid would tell on the other. The other kid would say, "but he did it too". Still guilty! My post never said one was more holy than the other. It just states fact!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]Sounds pretty childish to me. Reminds me of when I was a kid and one kid would tell on the other. The other kid would say, "but he did it too". Still guilty! My post never said one was more holy than the other. It just states fact![/citation]

I laughed when i read that comment, who started the "he did it too" arguments here and thus judged himself by the above standards. We all know who has the best position to end the foxcon sweatshops. But with your flawed logic i presume you would end up chasing a small-time pusher than a drug lord, now that would be silly!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]I can't believe that they still buy into the whole man made global warming scam. Global Warming, look up in the sky at the big ball of nuclear fire. Solar Flare/Sunspot activity is the real culprit. Man made global warming is all a lie, the Kenyan liar Obama and Al Gore know it too. blah blah blah barf fart poop blah[/citation]Question: were you born an idiot, or just trained as one?
A) why not improve the quality of our home (Earth) - we have no ability to GO anywhere else to live.

B) Profit in green tech? Yeah, so? Does this mean you are against profit? Against jobs? Are you a communist or something?

C) Unless you are an American Indian for which I am 99.99% sure you are not... perhaps you should leave the USA. Somalia maybe a better fit for you. No govt. to tell you want to do, how many guns you own, no taxes to pay. $1200 can get you there in a few days if you have a passport.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Question: were you born an idiot, or just trained as one?A) why not improve the quality of our home (Earth) - we have no ability to GO anywhere else to live.B) Profit in green tech? Yeah, so? Does this mean you are against profit? Against jobs? Are you a communist or something?C) Unless you are an American Indian for which I am 99.99% sure you are not... perhaps you should leave the USA. Somalia maybe a better fit for you. No govt. to tell you want to do, how many guns you own, no taxes to pay. $1200 can get you there in a few days if you have a passport.[/citation]

You should research how extreme environmentalism has become. If you think wage is the only reason manufacturing has left America, guess again. So manufacturers have taken your advice in C.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]TeholTheEnvironmentalist[/nom]That's some creative spin they're putting on this situation. "EPEAT isn't thorough enough . . . so we're not going to hold ourselves to the standards they DO set."Excellent.[/citation]

How dare Apple for not keeping the tradition of arrogance.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I laughed when i read that comment, who started the "he did it too" arguments here and thus judged himself by the above standards. We all know who has the best position to end the foxcon sweatshops. But with your flawed logic i presume you would end up chasing a small-time pusher than a drug lord, now that would be silly![/citation]

Foxconn is in the best position to stop their problems. That Apple is Foxconn's largest customer makes no difference in this fact. Beyond that, Apple isn't a policing agency. They can't stop Foxconn themselves and they most certainly aren't a company that I'd like to have such authority. The worst that they can do is bring their business elsewhere, but their options are limited, especially if they want to keep their profit margins as ridiculously high as they are.

Regardless, Apple is no better than Foxconn, although they might try to look better for the PR. They got where they are by trying to screw everyone that they could and leech off of their victims like a parasite.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Apple is so full of crap. Slightly unrelated, does anyone else hate when people call Android smartphones "Droids" when they aren't actually specifically talking about the Motorola Droid? Really ticks me off and it is so annoying to constantly have to correct people about it.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I doubt most people look for that EPEAT seal of approval when buying a off the shelf computer. Did anyone know it existed until we found that Apple dropped them?

Status
Not open for further replies.