Apple Considering Moving Macs Away From Intel Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
And move to what? AMD? Their own man made CPUs?

The next years iPhone is going to amazing! /sarcasm.

And this starts the downward spiral of Apple!

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Obviously would be a win for AMD. No real other option for x86 (forget about Via). I doubt they would want to go through the compatibility hassles again like when they abandoned PowerPC devices.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
or maybe theyll just sell new AMD macs at a lower price. this would grab much of the isheep that are aware of macs being too expensive. though I really do believe these macs will still be expensive as hell. just my thought.

G

Apple and AMD. 2 Companies that get tough love around here.

I doubt they would move their entire line to AMD, but there could be some interesting applications for AMD APUs, particularly if they build in some OS specific capabilities that really harness the power of the GPUs.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]rooseveltdon[/nom]Lol and move to AMD? good luck with that...unless they start making their own chips they are not going anywhere[/citation]
a lot of R&D goes into designing CPUs, even Apple's "own" A6 CPUs in the iPhones are just modified Cortex A9.
It's more likely they'll just get a Trinity APU and rename it Apple A10, rather than actually redesigning a x86 CPU.........they can't legally do it anyways, since they don't own the license and Intel is unlikely to license it so Apple can abandon them

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Apple will save a lot of money going with APUs, and can actually truthfully advertise a massive increase in IGPU performance. Then bam a phat profit margin

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]or maybe theyll just sell new AMD macs at a lower price. this would grab much of the isheep that are aware of macs being too expensive. though I really do believe these macs will still be expensive as hell. just my thought.[/citation]

You don't understand apple very well. They will use AMD and then charge more for being new and innovative. Bigger profit margins and then you will here the itards explain how much better AMD cpus are than Intels. It's a brilliant move. They will really stick it to the wintel owners now!

Actually, since Apple actually is a big partner with OGL and actually uses it in its desktop, might be better of with AMD and the new HSA foundation.

Apple, like it or not, has very good hardware and software for video and sound, which actually is easy to accelerate with GPU muscle. Besides, Apple has always loved eye candy on their desktop, so going with AMD might help in that regard a lot.

AMD would just have to step up their driver's game, but other than that, sounds like a pretty good deal for both.

Cheers!

MordeaniisChaos

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
So, to set yourself apart, you're going to switch to the company that is no longer trying to compete with Intel's performance? You're basically going to the shit brand just to set yourself apart. This is a stupid thing to even consider.

G

You do realise that this could mean:

Apple: "AMD we want you to be our CPU supplier"
AMD: "You think we have a chance of producing a working, competing product?"
Apple: "Here's Eleventy billion dollars"
AMD: :D

turtile

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I think Steamroller will make a lot of sense. Since they control the software, they could add GPU compute which would give it a major advantage.

turtile

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I think Steamroller will make a lot of sense. Since they control the software, they could add GPU compute which would give it a major advantage.

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
AMD needs to grab its chances. They have to move on quicker, like they do better these days by offering new APUs and remarkable prices.

heinz81

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
AMD went up 3.21% on the date of this blurb. Unfortunately, that's only $0.10 to rise to $3.22. In April the stock sold for $8.
MidnightTrader:
"AMD is still verging on irrelevancy and we certainly don't see any positive near-term fundamental catalysts."

It added: "But our sense is that the keys to our long-held bearish view - ongoing execution problems, a total lack of a compelling data center offering, poor competitive positioning in PCs against INTC and no viable mobility products - are generally well understood by investors."

G

This could be really interesting! Aslong as AMD improves their processors a bit, and power usage.
Their APUs are amazing, but still needs a tad improvement on performance/watt. ;)

G

Maybe Apple can make their own chip tuned to work with the apple OS, maybe that project has been in double secret production while Intel has been partying in their bunny suits! Apple, I am sure, makes plenty of lettuce with their customized ARMs running their iphones and ipads! Maby Captian Cook is ready to 86 that that x86 overboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.