Apple Debuts Desktop Trackpad, Rechargeable AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Look very nice on pictures. Not sure why would anyone prefer touchpad over a mouse.
I think that Microsoft Ark is better than apple mouse.

Sanyo's Eneloops with charger cost much less than $30, why does Apple wants to overcharge for products that they do not manufacture.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I ordered one yesterday and it arrived this morning. Can't wait to try it out (need to wait for some jobs to finish running before I can have a play).

I've grown to love the trackpad on my MacBook Pro and have wanted something similar on my desktop for ages now. I gave the magic mouse a try but it's absolutely terrible, one of the worst mice I've ever used. I don't plan on using this trackpad as a mouse replacement but as a suplementary tool. I really miss having access to a lot of the gestures when I'm using my desktop and I've been interested in one of these since they were first rumoured. I'm also very excited to give it a try with TenOneDesign's Inklet and Pogo Sketch - just waiting on confirmation that they support it before buying.

In my opinion Apple really do make the best trackpads by a considerable margin. They also make the worst mice. On my desk I will now have an Apple keyboard, Apple trackpad and a *Microsoft* mouse.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The biggest surprise here is the use of standard AA rechargable batteries. You can buy those from anywhere.
It's a bit unusual of Apple to issue a product that is not 100% proprietary from the size, shape, voltage, connector, etc, that the Apple store sells for a stupid price.

A taste of things to come or a total accident?

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]Look very nice on pictures. Not sure why would anyone prefer touchpad over a mouse.I think that Microsoft Ark is better than apple mouse.Sanyo's Eneloops with charger cost much less than $30, why does Apple wants to overcharge for products that they do not manufacture.[/citation]

Why does Apple want to overcharge for products they don't manufacture? Does Apple manufacture anything? I thought everything they sell is farmed out of China? They do know that by putting the Apple name on a product they will get better than average sales.

And a trackpad for a desktop? Isn't that going backwords? I rarely use the trackpad on my laptop and instead use a wireless mouse.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I just want to know if the Apple controls will work in Windows.
I don't run Mac OS but I do like their user interface stuff, so I'd like to buy one of these, if it works in windows!

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]I ordered one yesterday and it arrived this morning. Can't wait to try it out (need to wait for some jobs to finish running before I can have a play).[/citation]

Your Jobs is running? Well you better go catch him!

ha ha? the apple guys know what i'm talking about...

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
The concept is accurate, but not for a desktop, I see this thing positive if you could merge it with the keyboard (a small one) and then you get a keyboard and a mouse over your lap. What for? easy.. control your PC from the couch. And I don't mean this be cause i'm lazy, no.. I'm thinking about all these new LCD/LED 42" or more TVs with a HTPC to run DVDs and bluray movies, surf the web.. I think this is a new step for a PC as an family entertainment option rather than a console.

[citation][nom]thatreallyotherguy[/nom]..anyone tried the wacom bamboo? That sounds nearly the same as this except with the bamboo you can use a pen also...[/citation]
I have an older Pen only WACOM. The new ones actually look good.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I used this as during a tech preview (I get the joy of supporting Macs users at work). I must say I was pretty impressed with this product...

...won't get me to replace my wacom though.

David the Gnome

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
The best application I see for the Magic Trackpad is for HTPCs. It's a lot easier to use a trackpad on the couch than it is a mouse. If you had a Mac Mini hooked up to your TV you could use the Magic Trackpad and a bluetooth keyboard and have a very compact and easy to use package.

It's not really something I would want with a normal desktop but it does have a few useful applications.

denial_

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I just want to know if the Apple controls will work in Windows.I don't run Mac OS but I do like their user interface stuff, so I'd like to buy one of these, if it works in windows![/citation]

The article is already saying it, it will work on Windows with the appripriate drivers, and the link in the article says it will have the same features as if you were using it with OSX.

In my opinion, Apple's trackpad is way better than any others on laptops, but thats thats where this thing belongs...But it could be fun if it can be use as a tablet like Wacom.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chaoski[/nom]Apple fanbois will line up at the stores to buy this useless gadget.[/citation]

Yes, because their Apple shrine to Jobs wouldn't be complete if they didn't buy every single Apple product made.

denial_

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]As posted above, many features DO NOT work with WINDOWS.http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4273[/citation]

Thanks for the correction nukemaster, my bad :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.