Apple Ditches Nvidia, Goes ATI-only for Desktops

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't own a Mac but some people like OSX which is why they are willing to pay so much for the desktops. Other reasons are because of the unibody. No one likes 2 inch bricks.

G

hell no, thats the last thing AMD needs, a bunch of apple fanatics espousing the merits of AMD products, that's the fastest way to lose all technical credibility....

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
"This could be a sign, however, that Apple and AMD are forming a stronger relationship. Earlier this year, rumors did the rounds that Apple may be considering using AMD CPUs in its upcoming computers."

And even though they'll cost Apple 1/2 of the cost of the current Intel CPUs, Apple will not be reducing the price of its computers. Apple faithful will not notice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Apple uses special graphics cards that nobody else can get their hands on. The differences between Apple's GPU's and other GPU's may be minor, but Apple is right. You can't get quite the same graphics experience on any other computer.[/citation]

And his moniker is "TechGuy".....wow..serioulsy? Is that sarcasm or what? I just don't know what to think. Just F'n, jaw dropping, wow on this guy's statement. ROFL!

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]And his moniker is "TechGuy".....wow..serioulsy? Is that sarcasm or what? I just don't know what to think. Just F'n, jaw dropping, wow on this guy's statement. ROFL![/citation]

Lets hope he was being facetious. Delusions that strong would require professional help.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
"The ATI Radeon 5770...[is] faster than the top-of-the-line graphics cards in the previous generation".

If they're saying that the 5770 is faster than the 4890, then they're dead wrong and lying to their customers. I looked back at some of the performance reviews on this site of the 5770 and it was consistently outperformed by the 4890.

ram1009

Distinguished
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]this may have something to do with valve being massive ATI fanboys? no? steam on mac ect?anyway, I recently did the same thing. I dono, I just get this feeling ATI are more reliable.[/citation]
Surely you jest. ATI has always, and still does have flaky drivers. Recently I tried a 5750 for the first time in years simply because I wanted DX11 compliance. Never again. Immediately I began to notice all sort of video anomalies I haven't seen since the last time I used ATI equipment. I love AMD CPUs but their video sucks.

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
AMD products are much cheaper than Nvidia and Intel.
So all that cost savings goes back to Apple considering they'll never lower their prices, instead I'll bet they'll increase their price and have all the Lemming buy it.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]Apple customers must be chumps.21-inch LCDi3-5404GB RAM500GB HDD$1200 Apple Mac$600 Windows PC (max)Even with the free shipping on the Apple option, this is an utter joke.Please tell me why this company is still posting profits.[/citation]

The monitor is a high end unit, and not one of those lousy TN units that most LCD manufacturers use. Although, even with that, I still question the insanely high pricing.

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
To quote the CEO of Nvidia Mr Huang said that in his home they’re “all Apple.” According to him “Apple uses the best technology for their [computers]. Apple says to their customers: if you buy a computer from us you can be sure we have selected the best technology inside for you.
Bwahahahahaha lmao lol ahahahaha.
Love it!

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
[citation][nom]L0tus[/nom]Apple customers must be chumps.21-inch LCDi3-5404GB RAM500GB HDD$1200 Apple Mac$600 Windows PC (max)Even with the free shipping on the Apple option, this is an utter joke.Please tell me why this company is still posting profits.[/citation]

Stevezz need to pay for those free cases they provide out there ~ LOL

G

Apple is going to use AMD's upcoming Cpu/Gpu 2in1 Fusion in future MacBooks. They are pist at Intel for their crappy integrated graphics and their refusal to allow Nvidia to make Core i7 based Mobos. So they are dumping both of them in the Macbook Pro come Fusion.

cybr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I hope this means a more seamless approach to a hackintosh for my 5870...

There's no way I'm paying the premium for an Apple when the components chosen for custom builds are better IMO, and cheaper!

[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... i guess... it's because of thermal...[/citation]

I would agree except its probably more about control. The less mix of hardware, the tighter they can keep the OS.

Plus nVidias drivers do tend to like to cause crashes with some games until the newest version is out. And Apple can't have their OS crashing noe can they?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Wittermark[/nom]i don't understand why there still so many people out there thinking AMD is POS, at my company, which we use workstations for 3d modelling/design, I currently sport a x6 1090T and its heaps faster than our i7's for graphic renderings. the i7 930 pulled 1min30secs rendering a scene while my 1090T did it under a minuite. so i'd say yes, good move on the AMD switch[/citation]

So wait, a 6 core processor renders faster than a quad, who'd of thunk it.

wymer100

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Apple uses NVIDIA for laptops, and AMD/ATI for desktops. It probably just comes down to thermals and price. Speaking of price, don't discount the displays, particularly on the high-end. The high end system has a 27in LED-backed IPS display. It's a really awesome to see in person. The closest thing I could find on newegg was a 26in ViewSonic IPS display on sale for $900 (regularly $1000). I'm not sure if it was LED backed. If you add the display into the equation, the high-end imac is a pretty good deal.

For all those people who will complain about the not being able to use the display when you buy a new computer, well Apple took care of that a while ago. There's a mini-DP on the back that allows for video-in so you can hook up a different computer or use a blu-ray drive.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
People just like wasting money :)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wymer100[/nom]Speaking of price, don't discount the displays, particularly on the high-end. The high end system has a 27in LED-backed IPS display. It's a really awesome to see in person. The closest thing I could find on newegg was a 26in ViewSonic IPS display on sale for $900 (regularly $1000). I'm not sure if it was LED backed. If you add the display into the equation, the high-end imac is a pretty good deal.For all those people who will complain about the not being able to use the display when you buy a new computer, well Apple took care of that a while ago. There's a mini-DP on the back that allows for video-in so you can hook up a different computer or use a blu-ray drive.[/citation]
You sir are still wrong :)
They charge 1699 and 1999 for it even with the display it is a total rip off!

DaveWesh

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
[citation][nom]xrodney[/nom]You forgot add less power required and less head created, thus better cooling and less noise for AMD.Amd CPUs are not that much behind Intel performance, difference is just several percents.[/citation]

Yeah you have me there; im more PC enthusiast/Gamer rather then an apple anything, so my opinion does have a little narrow mindedness to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.