Apple Doesn't Want You Opening the MacBook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why are the "high res" images in this article so bloody small?

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Why pay that much for a laptop...Oh why do I even bother anymore...[/citation]

For their looks! i think almost half the price is being charged for its design. One day when i am rich and want to spend all my money on my showcase, i'd consider one.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]you know you can get those screwdriver tips from most hardware stores to fit those screws...... It actually looks very easy to take apart, very basic design.[/citation]
Good point! Yeah, definitely owning all these special bits has made my life disassembling things easier. :) They beat my jury-rigged tools anyday!

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I don't think its worth paying that much for outdated hardware. However... I love seeing new electronics apart. Its amazing to me how compact everything is.

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]onyx_64[/nom]For their looks! i think almost half the price is being charged for its design. One day when i am rich and want to spend all my money on my showcase, i'd consider one.[/citation]

What looks? The "here's my piece of metal" look? Buy a real laptop, and then have someone machine you a brushed aluminum case for it. It'll be $1000 cheaper.

onetwo3

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]Good point! Yeah, definitely owning all these special bits has made my life disassembling things easier. They beat my jury-rigged tools anyday![/citation]

Maybe not. iFix-it claims that Apple ordered new special design security screws from Torx and ask them to make patent on it and only sell the screwdriver to Apple service partners and sue everybody who try to make similar head screw driver. So maybe Apple REALLY doesn’t want you to be able to open up / service your own device.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
mac's aren't designed to be user serviceable, they are designed to be brought to a mac store where they charge you $60 for a diagnosis. then more for actually fixing the problem.

onetwo3

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
[citation][nom]alyoshka[/nom]I wonder how much does that 64GB Mini Pcie ssd cost??? Anyone? any ideas? and availability would be nice[/citation]

Aprox. 200-220$ for end user. But Apple used custom form (the device is made by Toshiba) so probably you never be able to upgrade :(

ulysses35

Distinguished
lol... they dont want you to open it because the high price to low spec ratio of the components.

Apple keep pushing their products as class leading premium products, but many fall down on reliability (iphone 4 / ipad etc) and dont have the highest spec components. That said there will be millions of buyers who buy it because its an apple and therefore it must be the best

G

The SSD drives runs on the SATA bus, not on the PCIe lane. Someone already posted screenshot from Apple Profiler showing this.

And given the memory is soldered on (space savings) and SSD card (again for space savings) is quasi-proprietary, why WOULD you need to open the MBA???

And I have never heard of an Apple store charging for diagnostics. I know their service agreement at the Genius Bar mentions such a fee, but I've never seen it charged and I've been using the bar over the years for a lot of things.

And lastly, I don't know where the idea of low quality components entered anyone's mind. Apple's equipment isn't exotic, but it's certainly not low quality. They use Samsung Original memory in many of their portables, they source their CPUs from Intel, many of their hard drives are from Seagate, their SSDs come from Samsung, the touchpads come from Synaptics. I'm sorry, but the list of reliable manufacturers goes on. To say that an Apple uses low quality components is ridiculous. At least the casing is made from a single block of metal as opposed to plastic, and the keyboard letters are laser engraved instead of cheap melted-on plastic that rubs off over time, and that the trackpad coatings withstand years of abuse instead of wearing away and becoming smooth and frictioned... What in the world are YOU using??? Must be made from pixie dust and unicorn tears...

G

I am not sure what target user this is focused at? Small storage, no upgrading, no built in Cellular card. Its designed for portability but lacks the tools for it? This is typical Apple these days. Design a WOW product that's over priced for what you get. I think a good mobile device is more then just thin.

G

Apple have pushed the envelope for sleek, thin and light design in laptops..looking at the components, I can see a lot of thought went into the design to get it as thin as it is, and still give a good experience running OSX. This custom design is more expensive to produce because you are ordering less off-the-shelf parts. The battery is especially clever, a design that I think other manufacturers could come up with to decrease the size of their small laptop offerings.

Now all of the above said.. I would simply never purchase one.. It is underpowered for the price you pay, non-upgradable and comes from a company run by jobs, a man I dislike.

G

You got that right ulysses35. People that buy Apple products are simply doing so because they "think" that they are better than other products. If you ask them for a hard reason, they cannot give one. Believe me I work in the IT field and when people bring their Mac products to me I ask "I thought Macs were infallible? You don't need me." Morons...

http://TechReview.LIEconomy.com

lmn8r

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
That is a really nice design inside. I've always been a fan of mac computer hardware quality. I think i'll stop there with my praise for apple.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]onyx_64[/nom]For their looks! i think almost half the price is being charged for its design. One day when i am rich and want to spend all my money on my showcase, i'd consider one.[/citation]
Meh, even when i am rich, i'd still be thrifty.

G

since warranty service is ALWAYS free at the apple retail store why would anyone want to possibly damage their new computer.. because after it's been damaged, the warranty is void.

G

People, people, people, stop it with the apple charging so much for their macs. if there is an appetite for it, apple will still make them. why do we have Camaro and Geo metros sharing the same roads? because we all have different prospective of them,
i say if you can afford it and it fits your need, please go ahead. if you can't afford it and it doesn't fit your need, by all means get an HP or a Dell, but stop hatin' on the guy next door who decided to get the Mac.
Can't we all get along?
for disclaimer i have a Sony VAIO, an HP Envy and a MBP.
Peace out.

Status
Not open for further replies.