Apple Expected to Spend $9B on iPhone, iPad Displays in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation]IHS also speculated that a new 4-inch screen iPhone will keep a pixel density of about 320 ppi, but jump to a 1024 by 768 pixel format.[/citation]
Using a 4:3 format would mean that the iPhone would be a lot wider, so I have my doubt that Apple will change the aspect ratio of the screen.

G

They do offer budgets, 16g,32g,64g. Those are priced at different amounts. Buy which one is in your budget.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom][citation]IHS also speculated that a new 4-inch screen iPhone will keep a pixel density of about 320 ppi, but jump to a 1024 by 768 pixel format.[/citation]Using a 4:3 format would mean that the iPhone would be a lot wider, so I have my doubt that Apple will change the aspect ratio of the screen.[/citation]

Perhaps 1366x768?

G

Wow, thats a lot of money. They will probably exceed that much in my opinion because many people who bought iPad 1's didn't buy a two. It will be time for an upgrade. I mean look at this, people are in line already! http://detectapple.com/people-in-line-for-new-ipad-already/

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
will this mean good news for the consumer?

apple invests in insane screens, we see a trickle down to normal pc monitors?

i mean an ipad 3 costs 500$ right? if we cut all the extra crap out of it, what does just the screen cost...

i mean i have a 1920x1200 currently, would love a 2560x1600, but cost... but if that 10 inch screen gets made in bulk... will it effect the process to make computer monitors too, so we can be offered 2560x1600 at a 500$ or less price point?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"IHS said that more than 80 percent of the money Apple spent for iPhone displays were attributed to the 326 ppi, 960x540 QHD pixel display that is used for the iPhone 4/S"

The display on the the iPhone 4/4S is 960x640.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Apple has finally fallen behind Android and I just traded in my Iphone 4 last week for a galaxy note. Waiting for the Iphone 5 has taken way too long so Ive moved on. Even when the 5 does come out this Fall it wont be able to compete against the Galaxy S3 and those specs it supposedly will have. It was nice for a while but now I dont miss it.[/citation]

Don't be too sure. A lot of people just don't care about the specs and focus more on the entire package...build quality, ease of use, ecosystem , etc. So while the Galaxy S3 will undoubtedly be a spec monster how will the surrounding ecosystem be? Will it still be encased in plastic? Will it be just as easy or easier to sync your music library and playlists for the average consumer?

I really like my Razr Maxx but I won't say it's better than an iPhone 4...it's just different.

amdphenomx4

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
Apple wouldn't change the screen ratio and pixel ratio of the iPhone. They will just make it bigger with the same resolution. They did the 4's display as it was easy to upscale everything from the previous phones as it was just twice the resolution. Anything different will screw up apps.

G

Ya know all this negative about paying workers. It's not just Apple. No one on manufacturing lines in that area make much money. Blame the minimum wage laws honestly. If the US wasn't full of people wanting 15$ an hour to tighten down screws all this stuff would be made here at minimum wage

d8v1d

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Apple should just buy a LCD manufacturing company with its almost 100 billion in cash.
That would reduce cost and then they can start research on OLED displays for their iTV line.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]d8v1d[/nom]Apple should just buy a LCD manufacturing company with its almost 100 billion in cash.That would reduce cost and then they can start research on OLED displays for their iTV line.[/citation]

I'm sure that's been considered by minds greater than ours.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]grit[/nom]Ya know all this negative about paying workers. It's not just Apple. No one on manufacturing lines in that area make much money. Blame the minimum wage laws honestly. If the US wasn't full of people wanting 15$ an hour to tighten down screws all this stuff would be made here at minimum wage[/citation]
minimum wage laws? 15 bucks?
are you stupid? I dont know where your from, but in Minnesota, minimum wage is 7.25

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]zachusaman[/nom]minimum wage laws? 15 bucks?are you stupid? I dont know where your from, but in Minnesota, minimum wage is 7.25[/citation]

I'm not sure you understood the post you're responding to before acting young. Grit wrote wanting 15$....

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]eklerus[/nom]How can all companies offer services for all budgets and this one doesn't ?[/citation]
they can, they choose not to...

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
oh no, Margins will only be around 65% as opposed to 85%... mr. Jobs is rolling in his grave

[citation][nom]grit[/nom]Ya know all this negative about paying workers. It's not just Apple. No one on manufacturing lines in that area make much money. Blame the minimum wage laws honestly. If the US wasn't full of people wanting 15$ an hour to tighten down screws all this stuff would be made here at minimum wage[/citation]

I too would love to see more jobs here in the USA but apple can pay employees in the USA minimum wage who will be angry and resent them, feel entitled to more $$ whereas they could bay $5/hr in some other countries and workers would be thrilled to make that much money. I would assume those happy workers making more than they ever have are likely to be more productive than disgruntled workers here in the states

Status
Not open for further replies.