Apple Gets a Patent For an Idea that is 24 Years Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
How is this news? Just being sarcastic really. Apple has gone below low in my book. I am glad to hear that iPhones are being traded for Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 is on the way. I am not wishing anyone any harm but.. can't say I have same feelings for Apple.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Every apple user will get one acc automatically with iOS7 and MacOS 10.9, filled out with all their personal data and connections, based on the *stolen*... excuse me, locally stored user informations.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I can't believe the USPTO is still approving this bullshit. I mean, not only these patents are both vague and overly broad, they're suspiciously similar to previous patents.

Every patent Apple passes, i'm more and more convinced they've got a mole in the USPTO.

I wonder they will sue Facebook soon because you can send your friend a link to someone so they add that person to their friends list.

Apple will soon have to start selling its shares if they keep making so many enemies. Sooner or later they are bound to screw up something so bad that they wont be able to sell their products.

Oh and btw, Good luck with Apple social network, after the iOS Maps i wouldent be surprised if their social network will recommend ... well dnt want to create some drama here.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
If you got the dough and a lawyer to help you can petition the patent within a certain time period. After that it gets much harder to invalidate.

The patent system ultimately relies on the public to challenge the ridiculous patents that do get through. In that respect alone it is fundamentally flawed, as there is no real incentive within the USPTO to invalidate patents.

ph1sh55

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011
When the value of a patent, if granted, can enter into the billions of dollars how are we to possibly believe that those granting the patents aren't subjected to outside influence and benefits? It would be massively beneficial to have 'friends' in the patent office, one would have to assume rampant corruption when they're basically given the power to hand out million dollar bills to large companies.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
No wonder why the patent office is backlogged; there are all these stupid Apple patent applications. How come "obvious" doesn't matter when you have tons of money...hmmm.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The patent system needs a reward for people who prove that a patent is covered by prior art or by other patents. Clearly, the USPTO cannot be relied upon to do this job, so what's needed is an incentive and a mechanism whereby a bunch of freelancers can do the job. It would also serve as a disincentive for companies to apply for bad patents, because they'd be the ones stuck paying the reward.

Then, you can get rid of the patent examiners working for the USPTO, cutting costs and streamlining the whole system. The good ones can work as freelancers, either employed by companies to make sure their patent won't be invalidated, or as the ones invalidating the patents like I mentioned above.

And the bad patent examiners? They should find another line of work, anyhow. The sooner, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.