Apple is Now World's Largest PC Company (If Tablets Are PCs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I will be the first to say that the iPad should not be counted as a PC, simply because the OS it uses is the same as that of the iPhone and iPod. And if the iPad should be counted as a PC, then so does the iPhone/iPod since the only major difference between two is the size of the screen. And that's just ludicrous.

wizzlebippi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Tablets are not PC's because they're gimped by restrictive software. Until that's fixed, they're never going to be more than glorified smart phones.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Apple are great computers for people who aren't good with computers.
The world runs on Microsoft Servers and Framework, and always will.

G

I could do more with an iPad than I could with my first Hewlett Packard in 1996. Is that old HP not a PC anymore?

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
That is dumb, it feels like this company is in real close with apple. Every where I read most people consider a tablet a Media Consumption Device, most consider it a supplemental to there PC at work or home. The only way you can consider something a PC, is when you can prop it on your desk and give your old one to your sister without worry of ever needing it again. Tablets don't do that.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
This is BS, even if you enclude a tablet, I like apple products but I am not bias.
THere is no fuck&*(*&& way. We have hundreds of HP servers in our enviroment thousands of Dell laptops and desktops. this is just one facility. There are millions of places with PC in that are not apple. for the record Not ONE Apple anyware. Apple is great but they do not have the business market , not one bit.
And your full of shit Apple lovers who claim that Microsft will go down. I am a network engineer.
And from what I can see. Not a change. Apple is not the largest PC maker by a large margin
I agree very good but not the largest.
IF apple want to impress me, Build your products in the USA.
Back stabbing executives. We can do with our you.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]all of you saying that tablets, ipod, iphones (and any other smartphone) are not pc ARE WRONG, and not because i say it, because wikipedia does...let see what wikipedia "thinks" a computer is: A computer is a programmable machine designed to automatically carry out a sequence of arithmetic or logical operations. The particular sequence of operations can be changed readily, allowing the computer to solve more than one kind of problem. An important class of computer operations on some computing platforms is the accepting of input from human operators and the output of results formatted for human consumption. The interface between the computer and the human operator is known as the user interface.now..... "PC" stands for personal computer.... so depending how "personal" you consider your phone,tablet,ipod and any other COMPUTER is....is a PC.[/citation]

By that definition, we must include calculators, which now surpass iPads,iPhones, and iPods in shipment.

wizzlebippi

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
My TI-89 is a computer now, awesome.

Frozonic, I think everyone will agree that one of the facets of a PC is the open software architecture, regardless of it being open or closed source. This principal is why Microsoft has 95% of the PC OS market. There is nothing open about tablets or smart phones unless they're hacked.

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I'm pretty sure when Steve Jobs ushers in the "Post PC" era with the iPad introduction, he wasn't referring the POST PC Code :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
You know, it's funny how tom's keeps reposting old articles. I mean, THEIR own articles. This was posted months ago as a Wolfgang article i think.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]wizzlebippi[/nom]My TI-89 is a computer now, awesome. Frozonic, I think everyone will agree that one of the facets of a PC is the open software architecture, regardless of it being open or closed source. This principal is why Microsoft has 95% of the PC OS market. There is nothing open about tablets or smart phones unless they're hacked.[/citation] Ti-89 probably does more than my old TI PC from the 70s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS