Apple Launches 16 GB iPod touch with No Rear Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's Apple's notion of a "budget device".
This seems to be designed to be just a media player, nothing more. Thing is, for less money one can get a better player (capacity, functionality-wise, just no fruit logo).

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Serious question, why buy an iPod if your phone can serve the same purpose? That seems rather expensive too for an iPod with only 16GB of space.
iPod Touches seem to be pretty popular among tweens/teens, since their parents aren't always willing to pay for a data plan. I've seen plenty of them with these, as well as dumbphones for actually making calls.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

To play devil's advocate, lots of people substitute their smartphone with an ipod touch for activities--gym etc. Some people don't want to carry a data plan on their cell account, so they have dumbphones ("feature phones" lol), a portable media player is a nice thing to have. Other people are parents; lots provide ipod touches for their little kids as entertainment or learning tools.

Don't get me wrong; I use my phone for pretty much everything other than falling asleep to audio books (funnily enough, I have an aging ipod touch for that--but if it broke, I wouldn't buy another one...).

Eowsasdf

Honorable
May 30, 2013
I work for a government contractor, and believe it or not, no cameras (Meaning no personal smart phones outside of a camera-less Blackberry Bold) are allowed inside the gate. If I want to listen to music while working, or do anything else that one would use an iPhone for besides calls, the iPod touch is really the only choice. iOS and the iPod touch mimic the iPhone in function using iCloud. Judging by this from Apple, my co-workers and I are not the only "non-camera" iOS users out there.

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
Wait a sec.. 32G 2 camera Ipod touch is 299, are people really going to save 70 dollar settle for 16G front camera only ipod touch?
It might be the case if there is SD or Micro SD slot since a 32G MicroSD/SD is cheaper than what Apple ask for 16G extra space.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
"To play devil's advocate, lots of people substitute their smartphone with an ipod touch for activities--gym etc."
This is still too expensive (and too large and fragile) for a work-out PMP. Players made by Sandisk (e.g. Clip+) are much better for this purpose. Just buy a 4 or 8GB version and a 32GB microSD card. In case you waste your device, just buy a new one and re-use the card.

That does make sense actually. Myself, I actually have my phone setup to stream my 500GB of music from my home and I can just browse the assorted audio directories(it works really well), no need to worry about phone or iPod storage ever. Data plans sure are expensive though, ridiculous really, I hope they become cheaper in the future.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If they wanted to change the number of back cameras, they should have put 2 of them instead. At eyes difference from each other.
Apple might not be much into stereo view, but why not take the pictures now with the chance to properly view them when tech becomes available?
Not just Apple, anybody should put 2 cameras on their phones.

No reason to buy this when you can buy an android tablet for less, or ipad mini for slightly more.
The tablets are also generally more accepted at schools as well, since these types of products are more aimed at younger buyer without cell phones.
Pretty much the only reason to buy this is a specific need for the smaller size.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I fail to see how this is even relevant to the world anymore. Why spend $230 on a device that has no camera and no phone capability.
Wait for your contract to renew and buy a HTC One or a Galaxy S4.
OR, if you don't like contracts, you're probably going to end up with a shitty unlocked phone for $300 and then this for $230. In that case, just buy a damn Nexus phone and you'll one have to carry one device and you won't have a shitty phone.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

Otterbox Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.