Apple Launches Its Own CPU, the 1GHz A4

Status
Not open for further replies.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
this article is true in so many ways. I can't wait to see this in mobile devices but by knowing apple, it'll probably only be found in apple phones

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It's a matter of time before Apple changes their Macs to run on this new instruction set. After all, they've been on x86 for a few years now, and that's really pushing it.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Interesting development, is apple gonna try to get in on the CPU business? Or at least the ultra mobile processing sector. Future iPhone/iPod touch CPU here? Would they license it out for others to use in their products? What kind of instruction does it use? Was it inspired my PowerPC CPU's at all? ARM??? btw, i still can't get over the name "iPad" every time I think of.. well you know what ;)

mavroxur

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]the Apple A4 could power the next wave of super-smartphones[/citation]

I don't see this, I just see it powering the next wave of APPLE branded devices, not any other brands.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
This new A4 sounds good compared to other cell-phone processors, but shouldn't we really be comparing it to netbook CPUs? At $630 to $830, Apple is pushing this thing far out of the reach of any comparable 3G smart-phone running Snapdragon. Without the Apple hype machine this is just one severely over-priced e-book reader.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
[citation][nom]gayan[/nom]YEY...more competition = better products+ lower prices for us the consumer....[/citation]

you are forgetting one major thing... Its Apple. The term "lower prices" is not in their dictionary. Since this obviously is not going to be priced for the mainstream, it will not much affect other processors which are already priced decently.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]snurp85[/nom]you are forgetting one major thing... Its Apple. The term "lower prices" is not in their dictionary. Since this obviously is not going to be priced for the mainstream, it will not much affect other processors which are already priced decently.[/citation]

$499 is pretty good for something with as much capability as a netbook.

G

calm down people -take note - it runs iPhone apps. Unless Apple are using some dynamic translation of instruction sets - it's running on an ARM CPU. Apple are rumoured to have licensed the ARM architecture so most probably it's an ARM A9 CPU with GPU from Imagine surrounded by some custom silicon from Apple. Not exactly breakthrough - Nvidea have already released a dual A9 CPU which looks just as/far more intriguing.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I agree with snurp85. Apple doesn't compete, they carve out their own market segment. The only things you'll see running this processor are iPads, iPhones, and iPods. You won't be able to buy anything else with this processor. Therefore, prices on other ARM/RISC chips will not go down. Instead, you'll just see other companies releasing poorly made copies of Apple products trying to cut their way into Apple's market.

It's not like Intel releasing Atom (which could be put in anything). Apple's new chip will only be used by Apple for Apple products. In fact, other ARM chips might go up in price, since Apple won't be putting them in millions of iPhones and iPods anymore.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Interesting to see them take even one more step into total control over hardware as they're becoming even more self-reliant.

They've got the cash, but now they're getting into the AMD/Intel arms race. It feels like the equvilent of the Cold War buildup for the US and the USSR and China saying, "Hey I want in too! Point some missles my way!"

mav1014

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Is this article a joke? The A4 won't power HD playback for 10 hours. They said the iPad has a battery life of ten hours (which means more like 6-8) and they’re certainly not quoting that with HD playback. Also how do you know it out performs the Snapdragon? No tests have been done and the Snapdragon processor can also power devices with HD resolutions. Know your fact before you write junk like this. You must be a complete Apple fanboy.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]$499 is pretty good for something with as much capability as a netbook.[/citation]

I don't consider this comparable to a netbook if I can't install the applications I want, only the ones Apple approves. Besides, $499 is WAY too much to pay for a netbook. That much will get me a 2.2GHz laptop with tons more screen, storage, and RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220693

I'm not normally against everything Apple does, but $500 to read the NYT while listening to music is ridiculous. If Apple wants to push their new CPU out to third parties and allow some competition to the iPhone and netbook market I'd be happy, but that wasn't part of today's over-hyped press event.

G

"In fact, at its current spec and frequency, the Apple A4 can play back HD video for 10 hours before requiring a full battery charge."

This is kind of misleading because it implied that all this playback is being done in software. There is almost certainly a dedicated H.264 chip in these things or a dedicated 264 block on the processor.

G

You realize its:

a) not a cpu it's a soc
b) its based of dual cortex a9 (arm) right?

So, yeah, maybe delete that article and start again?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]mav1014[/nom]Is this article a joke? The A4 won't power HD playback for 10 hours. They said the iPad has a battery life of ten hours (which means more like 6-8) and they’re certainly not quoting that with HD playback. Also how do you know it out performs the Snapdragon? No tests have been done and the Snapdragon processor can also power devices with HD resolutions. Know your fact before you write junk like this. You must be a complete Apple fanboy.[/citation]

Apple said at the event, that it can read a book, do browsing, or watch videos, for 10 hours. And they even said on their website for the iPad:

"# Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music. Testing consisted of full battery discharge while performing each of the following tasks: video playback, audio playback, and Internet browsing using Wi-Fi. Video content was a repeated 2-hour 23-minute movie purchased from the iTunes Store. Audio content was a playlist of 358 unique songs, consisting of a combination of songs imported from CDs using iTunes (128-Kbps AAC encoding) and songs purchased from the iTunes Store (256-Kbps AAC encoding). Internet over Wi-Fi tests were conducted using a closed network and dedicated web and mail servers, browsing snapshot versions of 20 popular web pages, and receiving mail once an hour."

Maybe you should get your facts straight?

/ Tuan

Status
Not open for further replies.