Apple Making Huge Money; iPad Outsells Macs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackcatbonz

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
wah wah wah, I can't afford a Mac, wah wah wah
I've been a PC user for 25 years... but puhlease, it's the same whiny shite every time.

1. The virus argument is bull... even people with half a brain use AV software.
2.Apple is a closed environment - Duh, retards... they expect a high level of quality from the folks that design software for their computers!! Doesn't sound so ridiculous to me (oh yeah, doesn't windows have some sort of windows certification program too? suppose to guarantee that things will work without a hitch? that never fails...hahaha
3. Crapple is too expensive... Umm yeah, the people that buy them would rather spend their time tweaking their work and not their work environment all the damn time.
4. ya cant play games on em.... OK
5. Apple steals your money by selling you unfinished products...and the nerve of them expecting you to upgrade... Thank christ AMD, Intel, Nvidia and microsoft have already built parts that never need upgrading...because i frigging refuse to install another CPU, GPU, PSU, DSP, USB, motherboard, operating system, hard drive, CD burner, soundcard, monitor, (breathe man) you get the picture.

Let's face it... PC's are cheap to build (If you want a piece of garbage... cos the last time I looked, any system reviewed in the back of a MaxPC mag would make even the most well equipped mac blush cos of the price), and work pretty well... and thats why every geek likes them.

Now that I have a bit of coin in my pocket because I have a real job and not some flooded market IT gig... The idea of Apple and it just working appeals to me... and my 4 year old.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Maziar[/nom]Great results.iPad sells really helped them in this quarter.[/citation]
vista and ME had horrible (relative to xp and win7) sales. apple products always seem to sell well regardless of their quality (although I don't really know how well each product sells in comparison to others (like iphone 1 vs 3g vs 3gs vs 4, or ipod versions against each other)).

win products are mostly bought by corporations and etc AFAIK, whereas apple tends to sell to its fanbase most of the time.

besides, windows is an OS. it is an essential piece of software in order to run your computer. it makes sense that people try to upgrade it even though the next gen product isn't all that great. ipad just.. has a nice screen.

also, the features ipad lacks are so... obvious. from what I've read, RiM's new gadget will have usb, a front webcam, video... I think (no, I know) apple purposefully took those features out from the first Ipad so that Ipad 2.0 will be able to sell better. and I'm sure they will do the same in ipad 2.0 too, so that 3.0 will sell too, etc.

thats not to say apple sucks. I have a 3gs iphone, and it works great. I'm just glad I waited a couple of years until they released the real product, not just the alpha version.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jadelith[/nom]vista and ME had horrible (relative to xp and win7) sales. apple products always seem to sell well regardless of their quality (although I don't really know how well each product sells in comparison to others (like iphone 1 vs 3g vs 3gs vs 4, or ipod versions against each other)).win products are mostly bought by corporations and etc AFAIK, whereas apple tends to sell to its fanbase most of the time.besides, windows is an OS. it is an essential piece of software in order to run your computer. it makes sense that people try to upgrade it even though the next gen product isn't all that great. ipad just.. has a nice screen.also, the features ipad lacks are so... obvious. from what I've read, RiM's new gadget will have usb, a front webcam, video... I think (no, I know) apple purposefully took those features out from the first Ipad so that Ipad 2.0 will be able to sell better. and I'm sure they will do the same in ipad 2.0 too, so that 3.0 will sell too, etc.thats not to say apple sucks. I have a 3gs iphone, and it works great. I'm just glad I waited a couple of years until they released the real product, not just the alpha version.[/citation]

Will you please stop with the bias conjecture.....what are you basing this on?

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
did apple shares fell 6% because of lower then expected sales for the ipad?? because they still can't keep up with demand?....good to show high revenue but i read somewhere Jobs hasn't responded to an earnings call from investors..and this for two years now
Anyways its the same people buying iphones every year and the ipad has a very small margin......yes i dont like apple and thats my right

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I'd love a macbook pro, I'd take it any time if it was for free and if I had to choose between similarly "equipped" laptops. But they are EXPENSIVE.

gnesterenko

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Meh, all this means is that

A) everyone that bought an Mac doesn't need a more powerful one (they won't for a while considering the mainstream use of a mac) so will not be buying a new one for a while - macs are subject to the same effect as PCs of being 'good enough'

B) those same people now bought iPads because they can do everything their old mac could do, but are shinier, and hardly anyone buys iPads without owning a Mac

C) so kudos to apple for overcoming market saturation, at least one more time with the iPad.

How many more rabbits can they pull out of their hat? Sooner or later, that market will tank. They stopped producing new hard-drive iPods so the longitivity of Apple products will increase (what with flash devices replacing their hard-drive devices) and although the iPhone 4 is also brittle, the net effect is positive. Since all their products are now 'good enough' to do what the mainstream user will do, the only remaining avenue of growth that will remain is new product lines (iPad) or *gasp* price drops. Of course, there will always be a core cult that will buy whatever comes out, but that cult is established and their sales are static.

[citation][nom]jadelith[/nom]vista and ME had horrible (relative to xp and win7) sales. apple products always seem to sell well regardless of their quality (although I don't really know how well each product sells in comparison to others (like iphone 1 vs 3g vs 3gs vs 4, or ipod versions against each other)).win products are mostly bought by corporations and etc AFAIK, whereas apple tends to sell to its fanbase most of the time.besides, windows is an OS. it is an essential piece of software in order to run your computer. it makes sense that people try to upgrade it even though the next gen product isn't all that great. ipad just.. has a nice screen.also, the features ipad lacks are so... obvious. from what I've read, RiM's new gadget will have usb, a front webcam, video... I think (no, I know) apple purposefully took those features out from the first Ipad so that Ipad 2.0 will be able to sell better. and I'm sure they will do the same in ipad 2.0 too, so that 3.0 will sell too, etc.thats not to say apple sucks. I have a 3gs iphone, and it works great. I'm just glad I waited a couple of years until they released the real product, not just the alpha version.[/citation]

dude i am not going to let you bash vista like that !!!
it was different from win xp and thats why it was hated.
it works great...

me on the other hand stinks like a week old burrito.
there was never a reason for it. it just sucked
and was a badly animated 98 se

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]Will you please stop with the bias conjecture.....what are you basing this on?[/citation]
I don't really know what you are referring this to (as you have quoted my whole post and I've made quite a few points). I also said that most of what I've said was AFAIK, not statistical facts (although some are, like ME and vista sales vs xp & win7). If you could point as to what you found unagreeable, we can have a meaningful argument.

Also, I'm really doing my best to be objective. apple creates good products. but their business strategy is milking their loyal customers for every penny they have, which would be impossible for other companies as they just don't have that fanbase.

Obviously from a business point of view this is good, but I'm not a shareholder so I don't care about that part. I only care how they treat their customers, and I don't find that part to my liking.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]dude i am not going to let you bash vista like that !!!it was different from win xp and thats why it was hated.it works great... me on the other hand stinks like a week old burrito.there was never a reason for it. it just sucked and was a badly animated 98 se[/citation]
I only said vista had bad SALES. I didn't say it was a horribad OS. those are two different things.
although I have to say I bought a vista saying it couldn't be that bad. and then uninstalled it and went back to my xp :p hated it.
however I can't say I gave it a fair try. but win7... its just beautiful. even my self-admitting ipad-buying iSheep friends love win7 :p

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jadelith[/nom]I don't really know what you are referring this to (as you have quoted my whole post and I've made quite a few points). I also said that most of what I've said was AFAIK, not statistical facts (although some are, like ME and vista sales vs xp & win7). If you could point as to what you found unagreeable, we can have a meaningful argument.Also, I'm really doing my best to be objective. apple creates good products. but their business strategy is milking their loyal customers for every penny they have, which would be impossible for other companies as they just don't have that fanbase.Obviously from a business point of view this is good, but I'm not a shareholder so I don't care about that part. I only care how they treat their customers, and I don't find that part to my liking.[/citation]

By what measure are you to assume that Apple is milking its fanbase? All Apple users are adults who know what they want and buy the product fully knowing that in Best Buy there is a Windows PC cheaper. To assume the customer base of Apple are bunch of Lemmings is akin to saying Windows users are fools for trusting thier data to an insecure OS. And in saying so would make me just as ignorant.
I am so tired of this Apple bashing under the pretext that Apple users are non technical, a bunch of cool wanabees, it's over priced PC hardware. Most windows users are no more tech savy than the average Apple user. And to think otherwise is just plain Stupid!

randomizer

Champion

Microsoft does this as well, but they do so using their near monopolistic market control, instead of trying to hype up the market perception of their products like Apple does. Vendor lock-in is just good business. Both software vendors practice this to one extent or another and not just with their OSs (MS Office is probably worse than Windows in this regard). To think that using Windows makes you free would be foolish. Windows has a horrible lack of control unless you do registry hacks (even then it's heavily limited) and it gets worse with each version due to increased abstraction of different settings to try to let the average idiot make sense of it all, something that only Apple does not consistently fail at.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]By what measure are you to assume that Apple is milking its fanbase? All Apple users are adults who know what they want and buy the product fully knowing that in Best Buy there is a Windows PC cheaper. To assume the customer base of Apple are bunch of Lemmings is akin to saying Windows users are fools for trusting thier data to an insecure OS. And in saying so would make me just as ignorant. I am so tired of this Apple bashing under the pretext that Apple users are non technical, a bunch of cool wanabees, it's over priced PC hardware. Most windows users are no more tech savy than the average Apple user. And to think otherwise is just plain Stupid![/citation]
* apple's product cycles are extremely short. I don't think anyone would dispute this. when you buy an apple product (say Iphone 3g), you KNOW it'll get outdated very quick. and many apple customers (from what I'm seeing, and I have many friends who use apple products almost exclusively) try to buy the updated product, at least once every two generations, as new generation products adds many features. I'm sorry, but this is called milking your customers. If only people who are buying my products would do the same..

while many companies release different products on a continual basis, the fact that every release has "new" features, and the length of time between releases makes me think apple is simply trying to steal money from me. I don't know any other company that does this.

* I never said anything about apple's pricing strategies.

* The only reason windows 7 has security issues is because the courts didn't allow windows 7 to ship with a free built-in antivirus software. you have to manually download it from MS's website, which most people don't. after you have that software, you are pretty much immune to viruses, hackers etc. obviously there is no 100% immunity to a dedicated DDoS attack (which is also the case for any linux based OS's AFAIK).

* I'm not saying ALL apple customers are fanboys. however, apple customer base tends to be a lot more forgiving and buy apple products regardless. there are other companies that has a loyal customer base. I'm not blaming the customers for liking apple products. I AM saying apple is following a very... "evil" business strategy. remember, I'm an apple customer as well.

* never said anything about apple users being non-technical.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Microsoft does this as well, but they do so using their near monopolistic market control, instead of trying to hype up the market perception of their products like Apple does. Vendor lock-in is just good business. Both software vendors practice this to one extent or another and not just with their OSs (MS Office is probably worse than Windows in this regard). To think that using Windows makes you free would be foolish. Windows has a horrible lack of control unless you do registry hacks (even then it's heavily limited) and it gets worse with each version due to increased abstraction of different settings to try to let the average idiot make sense of it all, something that only Apple does not consistently fail at.[/citation]
Sure, I hate microsoft, too :) I agree that office is WAAAAAAAAAY overpriced. like 10 times what it should be. 2007 could have been expensive, but $150+ for office 2010? I make a living on excel, so I don't really have a choice but to buy (which comes back to MS monopoly), and I have to spend that much money for a mere update.

however, since they release an office product every 3-4 years. and if you are an average user (even majority of the businesses), you don't have to buy every release.

now, if office 2001 was the first release, 2002 gave me pivot tables, 2003 the ability to make more than 1 worksheet, 2004 VB support, 2005 added graphs, etc. they'd be doing the exact same thing apple's doing with its products, which is what I'm complaining about.

MS is also evil :) but nowhere near today's apple (mostly because anti-trust courts forced them to be, not because they suddenly became pot-smoking hippies)

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
This brings the ethical question: "How many workers on AsRock factory have to commit suicide, in order Apple to have such huge profit margins?"

Nah, they are yellow and short, they are not 'us', let them die...
Good Job(s), send 30 iPods to the miners, yeah, you are a true humanist!!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Anyone reading these forums that gets worked up enough over other people’s opinions (macs suck, no pc's suck ect..) to continually post flame wars is laughable. Grow up and leave some room in the forums for people that have something useful to contribute.

“What’s the best thing about an iPad, there’s no wrong way to hold them” - me

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
There should be a law to forbid American companies from purchasing anything from other companies which allow slavery. Sure Apple wouldn't be much profitable were all their products manufactured in the USA but that would be a fair measure to decrease unemployment rates.

dafunklull

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
waiting for apple to introduce the i-SOD ..rectally inserted media device powered by the Geothermal heat of the users ASS featuring OS-* ..issue commands by ass gestures and its i-sod to i-sod interface just plug the crotch unit in to your friends i-sod.

and then theres the APPLE cream Smoothie made by steve jobs him self every morning fresh Squeezed Gay pride juice for the masses served hot n sticky in the apple store for his adoring fans.

GEt back to work apple user ! your apple products for work stop visiting frivolous forums back to that spread sheet, or that apple commercial you were working on.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jadelith[/nom]* apple's product cycles are extremely short. I don't think anyone would dispute this. when you buy an apple product (say Iphone 3g), you KNOW it'll get outdated very quick. and many apple customers (from what I'm seeing, and I have many friends who use apple products almost exclusively) try to buy the updated product, at least once every two generations, as new generation products adds many features. I'm sorry, but this is called milking your customers. If only people who are buying my products would do the same..while many companies release different products on a continual basis, the fact that every release has "new" features, and the length of time between releases makes me think apple is simply trying to steal money from me. I don't know any other company that does this.* I never said anything about apple's pricing strategies.* The only reason windows 7 has security issues is because the courts didn't allow windows 7 to ship with a free built-in antivirus software. you have to manually download it from MS's website, which most people don't. after you have that software, you are pretty much immune to viruses, hackers etc. obviously there is no 100% immunity to a dedicated DDoS attack (which is also the case for any linux based OS's AFAIK).* I'm not saying ALL apple customers are fanboys. however, apple customer base tends to be a lot more forgiving and buy apple products regardless. there are other companies that has a loyal customer base. I'm not blaming the customers for liking apple products. I AM saying apple is following a very... "evil" business strategy. remember, I'm an apple customer as well.* never said anything about apple users being non-technical.[/citation]

WOW....you really don't have a real argument do you? Show me a company that doesn't nickel and dime you!
Every tech company out there does incremental releases of products with minor improvements and features.

squiggs77

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
There is a difference between, "We couldn't get that feature in the product due to time/money constraints." vs "We left out a really useful feature so we can resell the updated product next year to all the same people."

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]squiggs77[/nom]There is a difference between, "We couldn't get that feature in the product due to time/money constraints." vs "We left out a really useful feature so we can resell the updated product next year to all the same people."[/citation]

And to that last statement.....I say ALL Tech companies are guilty! Sony, Apple, HP, Dell, Asus,

Status
Not open for further replies.