Apple Making Huge Money; iPad Outsells Macs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]Will you please stop with the bias conjecture.....what are you basing this on?[/citation]

Can you stop getting thumbed down?

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Funny how peeps are now looking down on Apple due to its success and I am sure these are the same people snubbing Microsoft during its height. I am just glad a solid US Tech company is being innovative and not just Sony or Philips. Should Apple get into the console gaming wars??? Go Apple!!!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]squiggs77[/nom]There is a difference between, "We couldn't get that feature in the product due to time/money constraints." vs "We left out a really useful feature so we can resell the updated product next year to all the same people."[/citation]

Exactly. Many people do not have a clue when it comes to consumer product business. Its not only what you can sell today, but what you can sell tomorrow that keeps businesses alive. If companies were capable of producing the perfect device that never needs updating then those companies will be OUT OF BUSINESS! Understand that successful companies strive to be relevant and always keeping a window open for future product improvements which will allow newer versions of products to continue to sell.

Apple is far from the only company to release products that will be improved with its next release.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
well, I was trying to have a meaningful conversation. I mean, if addition of usb, videos, cameras to an ipad are "small" feature additions for you (which will happen, as RiM did it and will release theirs soon), then I don't really have much else to say.

randomizer

Champion

That would probably see consumer goods double in price across the board.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Good for Apple.

Someone once posted this on Tom's, so I can't take credit for this comment:

"If your happiness depends on how poorly Apple does, then you are in for many miserable years".

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Good for Apple.Someone once posted this on Tom's, so I can't take credit for this comment:"If your happiness depends on how poorly Apple does, then you are in for many miserable years".[/citation]
it is indeed good foor apple, but bad for the suckers that fell for their marketing and bought a useless product....

randomizer

Champion

It's not a useless product if you know what to use it for. Any product can be useless if you don't really have a reason for owning it, including a PC.

blackcatbonz

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]It's not a useless product if you know what to use it for. Any product can be useless if you don't really have a reason for owning it, including a PC.[/citation]

Bingo! A turkey sandwich really sucks ass when you're trying to change a flat tire with it.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Actually, this is good news. An iPad, while a mediocre gadget compared to a Netbook, is certainly a better buy than an iMac with its crapware laden interior at a premium.

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]There should be a law to forbid American companies from purchasing anything from other companies which allow slavery. Sure Apple wouldn't be much profitable were all their products manufactured in the USA but that would be a fair measure to decrease unemployment rates.[/citation]Such a pretty dream. Most technology is made overseas in factories akin to Foxconn's these days. Perhaps these factory workers' economic situation is no better than slavery but that is semantics. The bottom line is this- good luck finding tech products that don't involve companies who work their employees to the bone to drive cost margins down by a few pennies.[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]That would probably see consumer goods double in price across the board.[/citation]It probably would average out to be about double. Things like toasters and hair dryers probably wouldn't increase that much. On the other hand, it would suck for tech-inclined folk; items like motherboards and memory would probably skyrocket back to the good old days, and a computer that costs $1000 to build now would probably be closer to $3000.

It's hard to remember that Americans would pay a premium for products Made in the USA ages ago. Wal-Mart even championed this when Sam Walton was still alive. I'd love to see tech manufacturing come back to the US- I just don't think it will. The reasons for this deserve a topic of their own.

To get back on topic, I agree with those who don't think there will be much sales cannibalism. A few people will decide they don't need more than a tablet (maybe with a keyboard accessory). More will use it for its intended purpose- as a compromise between a full laptop and a smartphone/PMP-with-apps device.

Status
Not open for further replies.