Apple May Free Itself From Samsung By June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]ipwn3r456[/nom]Samsung: Don't give a shit.[/citation]
Yeah, they don't care about losing billions of dollars in sales and having those billions end up in the pockets of your competitor, who can use it to improve their production facilities (or build new ones).

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
What's TSMC's current stable production process ? 40nm ? It'll be interesting to see how long it takes them to get production-worthy yields on 20nm. Meanwhile, Intel has had 22nm for a couple of years and is bringing up 14nm in Oregon.

[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Could this mean that Nvidia Geforce 7xx will be also be based on 20nm tech and hence be available around early June?[/citation]

I see both AMD and Nvidia potentially using 20nm GPU's for next gen, what with all the delays on the 7xx and 8xxx

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]Could this mean that Nvidia Geforce 7xx will be also be based on 20nm tech and hence be available around early June?[/citation]

Not likely, as Apple will be buying up all available 20nm capacity for the first year.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
[Yeah, they don't care about losing billions of dollars in sales and having those billions end up in the pockets of your competitor, who can use it to improve their production facilities (or build new ones).]

It will not matter to Samsung because the ALTERNATIVE is to lose even more billions of dollars in sales of smartphone as the sole aim of Apple is to force Samsung to stop selling Android smartphones.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Yeah, they don't care about losing billions of dollars in sales and having those billions end up in the pockets of your competitor, who can use it to improve their production facilities (or build new ones).[/citation]

You're right, I'm sure they're not jumping for joy about it, however I'm sure there are a ton of other smartphone manufacturers who would love to start using Samsung's fabrication abilities, and technology. More competition is great for the consumer

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
This is samsung creating a price war for apple. they are in talks with Intel! and putting this out there only puts their deal with intel at risk

[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]You're right, I'm sure they're not jumping for joy about it, however I'm sure there are a ton of other smartphone manufacturers who would love to start using Samsung's fabrication abilities, and technology. More competition is great for the consumer[/citation]
Exactly. It's not like Samsung had stopped their production lines because of lack of clients. Money is money, regardless where it comes from. It must be a liberating feeling for them.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Yeah, they don't care about losing billions of dollars in sales and having those billions end up in the pockets of your competitor, who can use it to improve their production facilities (or build new ones).[/citation]
Short term loss, long term gain - stop giving Apple all the best componants, their own phones are now technically superior and the customer sees this
Sales move towards Samsung and however many billions Samsung lose in parts sales to Apple are more than recouped in increased sales of their own handsets, with the added benefit of market dominance

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
What about telling the quality of their product will drop by 25-33% because Apple will use several smaller factories that don't have the same hardware quality. It's a money move for Apple (I really don't think they'll same money here) but I don't think it's a good move for customers.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
meanwhile Samsung has taken it's companies position way beyond Apple's and in the meantime Apple looks like the odd, over puffed up chested, duck

Status
Not open for further replies.