Apple No Longer World's Most Valuable Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
When the first iPhone was launched here in our country 2008, I never bought one... until the launch of iPhone 5, still I did not bought one, to me its so damn expensive. And I never regret it for not buying one. So long Apple.

Daedalus12

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
As for apple, it's about damn time.

As for oil, it's a pretty volatile industry. They may be doing great now, but that could easily not be the case in a years time. Reserves get eaten up, exploration is crazy expensive, etc. Profits during good times means the ability to weather the bad...and people can keep their jobs.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
"first company to have a market cap of 1 trillion"

deja vu... I remember hearing that way back in 1999. Then it was Microsoft, it got to 616 billion.
I think it's going to many more years and a lot of inflation before a company hits that valuation.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
I just don't get the stock market when it comes to Apple. They beat expectations, had a record profit of 13 billion dollars for the quarter and the stock goes down.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Daedalus12[/nom]As for apple, it's about damn time. As for oil, it's a pretty volatile industry. They may be doing great now, but that could easily not be the case in a years time. Reserves get eaten up, exploration is crazy expensive, etc. Profits during good times means the ability to weather the bad...and people can keep their jobs.[/citation]

There's a state legislator in Texas that proposed banning energy efficient light-bulbs to boost local economy...

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]colson79[/nom]I just don't get the stock market when it comes to Apple. They beat expectations, had a record profit of 13 billion dollars for the quarter and the stock goes down.[/citation]

While their profit was 13%, their overall revenue was flat. Combine that with the fact that they're cannibalizing their own customers (a number of Mac users are no longer getting Macs, but instead getting iPads). So, one part of the company is doing well (iPad) and another is doing bad (Macs). And when you look at the pricing, every Mac user that switches to an iPad is about a $500 to $700 dollar loss.

shiitaki

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
The stock market operates on emotion and bullshit. Most if not all of the market is overvalued compared to historic standards. The more money that enters the market than is leaving, stocks go up. When people take more money out than is flowing, the values go down. There was never a reason for Apple to have a stock price that high, it's merely working it's way back down toward it's true value.

The iPhone is not overpriced compared to it's competition. The nice thing about apple is that they don't make junk, and that sometimes is confused with being overpriced, when compared to junk. The aluminum glass and cloud infrastructure that makes it all work cost more than what you get from the competition. A piece of plastic filled with admittedly great hardware, in some cases, but it's a device that stands on it's own. My iPhone, iPad, and Mac all work together seamlessly, and that's something that doesn't show up on the spec sheet, and no one else has managed to bring to market.

G

Well Apple, if you haven't been suing everyone on every step on the road, there would have been more people respectful of your products today than it is of today. You are nothing more than an arrogant over bloated company.

G

When a company which sells only 4 luxury products has a market cap exceeding a company which sells one of the most valuable essential resources in the world, you know the share price is propelled by a bubble. The high price of Apple is based on an unrealistic assumption that Apple will be able to dominate the market for 10 years or more even at their premium price with 40% profit margin. Well, as expected, this is not true. Majority of the consumers are not fools and basic economic principles that lower price = more demand and economic of scales kick in. Apple has a good run but it is time for them to seriously rethink their future strategy. It will not be surprising that their market share will shrink to 10% again in the long run.

gamersglory

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
It's Because Apple has become a one trick pony. Hers a new I-[fill in the blank] we put a processor that is a bit more powerful not much more. same size and IOS which looks and feel the same as the last ver. we added new little background stuff. But for the most part it's the same and overpriced

[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]I like how they come up with reasons for why gas cost so much and then we hear this, Something needs to be done[/citation]

Oil and gas companies move hundreds of billions of dollars in product. ExxonMobil had an after tax corporate income of 41 billion dollars on over 485 billion dollars in operating revenue last year. They paid over 32 billion dollars in corporate income tax alone along with tens of billions of dollars in sales tax, payroll tax, licencing fees, and more. Most companies would consider an 8-9% profit margin to be quite thin but it's par the course for energy companies.

G

I'm still waiting for thunderbolt ports to start showing up on windows based laptop computers (windows based laptop computers that cost less than apple computers), all that I am currently seeing is a few to high priced windows based "Ultrabooks"! I am beginning to see some Apple products on sale for $200 dollers off, and I am tempted to buy an apple for the first time, Way to go windows PC OEMs, you should have been building laptops with thuderbolt ports, but you let Intel sucker you into the thin and light craze, that never materalized!

Status
Not open for further replies.