Apple Passes Microsoft as Largest Tech Company

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I think they need to re-investigate the finding here, there logic is flawed, thats like saying "holiday ytobacco" make more money than "you local sock shop" who the fuck cares, they server 2 different markets, and if you do a real study you'll find the opposite is true!

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]Actually, your logic is flawed - their marketshare in the PC industry has little to do with their marketshare in the MP3, Phone, and Tablet industries. Also, Apple sells more PC hardware than most other companies. Microsoft does not sell Dell computers, Dell does. This is very simple logic, but it's shocking that you've missed it.[/citation]
you are wrong Asus is the largest manafacturer (and seller) of computer hardware on the planet thats a well know fact!

G

i'm looking to a buy a new pc, a mac book pro vs alienware m15x the price diff is 300 bucks more for the mac and it's worth it. nuff said

Umm the concept behind this article is flawed. MS is several times larger then Apple and mainly sells OS and Office Productivity software. MS Windows still have a market share of 90%+, you can't hand waive that away with smoke and mirrors. Apple's products are mostly fashion accessories, thus their price premium and appeal.

Its not even new news, it was reported several days ago in other IT sections almost verbatim of what this article says. Apple has a higher share price because there is more speculation on them producing a profit. Stock prices are 100% speculation these days, people are betting on them going up / down within any given period of time. The "value" of stock fluctuates with supply / demand. Because of Apple's current popularity and performance their is a belief they will return a consistent quarterly profit. This means large demand for their stock and Apple doesn't need large capital investment right now so stock is limited to whats already on the market. This inflates the price to whatever someone is willing to buy / sell it for.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Forgot to add:it will rot as soon as it runs out of nutrients(other peoples ideas) and also applying excessive pesticides and fertilizers(from crApple fanboys)will eventually cause its death

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]Actually, your logic is flawed - their marketshare in the PC industry has little to do with their marketshare in the MP3, Phone, and Tablet industries. Also, Apple sells more PC hardware than most other companies. Microsoft does not sell Dell computers, Dell does. This is very simple logic, but it's shocking that you've missed it.[/citation]

You do realize you've quoted what I've quoted, from someone else?

I wasn't the one saying anything about market share, not to mention what market. Please learn to differentiate between reflexive discourse, and personal statements.

jfplopes

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
We all know what speculation can do. Sometimes its positive, sometimes its negative. But in my opinion this won't last. Not because Apple didn't do the right thing in the last few years but because if you look at both Microsoft and Apple businesses they're not quite the same beasts. Microsoft reaches way more businesses then Apple. Microsoft has a take on phones, tvs, smarthphones, but not only that. They have a very strong investment in R&D, robotics, home automation, industrial aplications, business applications, server applications. Microsoft is more easly compared to Google. Both focus on the software rather than hardware. Apple is a hardware company. You'll see their software running exclusivly on their hardware. Apple is much more similar to Sony than with Microsoft. Apple business is device level domination. Microsoft and Google focus on software level domination. In my opinion both business models are valid, but in the long run I think Microsoft and Google business model prevail. At least it has always been like this. Reason being people want freedom of choice to pick the right product for their wallet. So people ask themselfs. How easy will it be to maintain my data and applications going forward? Thats the real problem. The PC + Windows combination works because people can buy new PCs according to their present wishes and keep their old software running. When people pick Microsoft or Google products they don't have a single company product line to choose. They can buy devices from multiple hardware makers all competing to provide the consumer the best product for the price. And this inevitably leads to an healthier eco system. Now I understand people excitment regarding the iPhone and the iPod back in the day when it was released, but lets face it. It was the first product of its kind tailored to the consumer. There was no competition, but right now things are getting very different. Can anyone say with confidence that with Google and Microsoft competing software running on multiple cross-platform devices, that Apple will maintain the lead? I don't think so. And the rapid growth of the Android platform is proof of that.
I think Apple will remain strong, but their position will be maintained by people that are Apple fans. Much like people that only buy Sony or whatever. Now the right question should be. Can Microsoft maintain the lead against Google? Thats an entirely different question. For the time being Microsoft still holds software domination.

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]kerbe360[/nom]Well with that logic Microsoft would win because HP sells the most computers... HP installs Windows on their PCs.... so how does Apple win? The answer is simple... profit margin. Yes Apples are overpriced. The MP3/Phone/Tablet markets are whats carrying Apple right now. Imagine a world where an iPod was only for Macs.... I remember those days. Well here is an industry that Apple has next to no shares in.... GAMING. Some might say PC gaming is being killed off by consoles. I highly doubt it, even though I am primarily a console gamer, but Microsoft has a console.[/citation]

Yep, it's funny how some people think that certain markets are independent of obvious external factors. Tech gadgets have nothing to do with the PC market? Please. Markets don't exist in a vacuum -- you think data transfer of your music or videos are going to happen in isolation?

G

"Just think if Microsoft had the apple tax on all their products. Microsoft would be able to buy 2 Exxon Mobil sized companies then. =P"

Microsoft and Apple place their products DIFFERENTLY in the market, Apple goes for money and Microsoft goes for masses. That makes Apple filthy rich and Microsoft powerful, influential worldwide. If Microsoft "had the apple tax" then Microsoft wouldn't be Microsoft, it would be Apple. I'm sure everybody has heard about PREMIUM products, Apple sells premium systems and a computer is much more than just PERFORMANCE.

I'm sick and tired of comments here in favor of Microsoft and against Apple or the other way around. To all the kids who write such comments: please learn, read more and comment less. There's space for everybody.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]MS Windows still have a market share of 90%+, you can't hand waive that away with smoke and mirrors.[/citation]
You'd be surprised how fast a monopoly can collapse due to a shift in technology. IBM's mainframe market fell apart as the PC took over, and mobile computing is making the PC less and less relevant. The PC won't die (just as mainframes are not dead), they will just fade into the background over time. Windows will go with them unless MS develop something radically more scalable than what they already have.

Apple and Google are investing heavily in the smartphone market, trying to dethrone Symbian and Blackberry (Google still needs to market Android more outside the US). Microsoft, despite being in the market for 10 years, has had its smartphone market share on a steady decline into insignificance.

Randomizer,

Your right that markets can change rapidly, but IBM + Windows (Apple is still a damn PC) had dominated because technology always follows the most open path of least resistance. The early IBM PC was standardized because they allowed any product to be used on their platform. Things like memory / CPU's / system chips / video adapters and so forth could be from any manufacturer as long as they followed the proper HW specifications. Any software could be loaded as long as it was compatible with the HW being used, even though IBM made their own OS (IBM-PC DOS and eventually OS/2). Because of this it was accepted enmasse by business's and eventually by home users. Windows is an open platform that can execute any application developed for it. Neither HW nor SW platforms required the approval of MS / IBM for products.

They will remain in the lead until someone else can provide a SW and HW platform that provides the same level of openness combined with ease of entry into the market. Linux is a kernel not a full OS, and the GNU/GPL requirements limit the actual profitability of any company that tries to go that route. Its the most open path but has high resistance. Apple produces the least open products with the highest market resistance. Their iPod / iPhone devices were the first of their class and thus the ~only~ ones of their class. By the time the competition caught up Apple can already established itself as a fashion icon. People didn't buy the iLife products because of functionality, they bought them because the were stylish.

Google Andriod is an open platform with low resistance (manufactures and devs are picking it up left and right), it will most likely dominate Apple in a few years. Exactly like the IBM PS2 dominated the Apple Macintosh IIC(IIE).

Status
Not open for further replies.