Apple Patent Enlightens Multiple Flashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Did anyone manage to find the Apple patent protecting "a software to retrieve existing patent filings, append the words 'on a mobile device' and submit the result as a new patent automatically" yet?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I agree, ingtar. If this patent does get approved, though, I will lose absolutely all faith in the US patent system. This patent should never be approved.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You have faith in the US Patent system...?

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Isn't this just like Google's patent? http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/01/29/a-nexus-or-motorola-phone-with-multiple-led-flashes-new-google-patent-says-thats-likely/

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
There has been article describing why Apple managed to own patents that look obvious to common man. Their secret is they keep trying to rewrite the patent applications in different way until they get lucky and patent office accept it. In my opinion, the patent system is now being exploited by patent trolls. Here is the article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/08/technology/patent-wars-among-tech-giants-can-stifle-competition.html?pagewanted=all&_r=4&

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I have no objection for Apple implementing this in their devices. But patent? Now photographers all over the world have to pay Apple just to have a job?

echozero

Honorable
Mar 15, 2013
While Apple is trying to patent something already exist.
My question how does that help camera phone user? Unlike studio setting, most user take the picture with their on the fly. You probably won't have lighting issue if you have spend time to setup the surroundings. You also don't necessary have object with flash build-in near by.
Is apple going to sell mini portable flash? or .. Perhaps people can hijack other people's i-device and use their flash.

micul

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
How can they patent something that is just an idea ?
Until they don't prove that is working the patent should not be taken in consideration

g00b

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I think there may be a subtlety that is being missed. The article above says it takes a preliminary picture, and then determines from this crappy picture how to configure the slave flashes for best picture. I don't think they are trying to patent the concept of a slave flash.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Having read a number of Apple "patents", I am not surprised Apple is applying the patent on a concept instead of an actual product. In fact, this is not new to the IT industry. Other companies beside Apple have done this as well. Some companies are so specialized in this they are professional patent trolls. This just show how flawed the patent system is now.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Having read a number of Apple "patents", I am not surprised Apple is applying the patent on a concept instead of an actual product. In fact, this is not new to the IT industry. Other companies beside Apple have done this as well. Some companies are so specialized in this they are professional patent trolls. This just show how flawed the patent system is now.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I hate apple patent trolling too. However this one is different to others. its going to mean x number of people stand around and sink phones so that one person can take a slightly better photo. Its absolutely perfect for isheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.