Apple Patents Method to Bend Glass in Smartphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Yeah, maybe Apple described some new tools/methods to achieve this[/citation]
Using molds for either glass-blowing or stamp-molding are both well-documented and widely deployed industrial processes... that's how beakers, drinking glasses and glass cookware are made.

If the production volume is large enough, a glass foundry can simply re-engineer one (or more) of their furnaces to produce glass with the required curvature, no need to re-process the glass. What Apple has patented seems to be a method of fitting a square peg in a round hole the complicated way.

mavroxur

Distinguished
This is awesome, because for thousands of years, humans haven’t been able to do this! Now we can make objects such as glasses, jars, curved windows, marbles, laboratory flasks, test tubes, pipettes, and thousands of other things we have been making out of clay, dirt, and wood for ages!

G

Google should buy ARM. Then they would own all those patents and control who gets a license to manufacturer ARM based chips, including Apple. That would be the coup de grace against the blood sucking fiends known as Apple.

dgingeri

Distinguished
This is a specific example of how the US culture has become a "support the incompetent" type culture. Our public schools push it, and our government follows it. The totally incompetent people running the patent office are full on proof of it. These "engineers" managed to make it through college because "they worked hard" yet never actually learned a thing, yet the people who actually learn the stuff and don't have to work hard to understand it are branded as "bad examples" and forbidden from passing college courses. This is what we get for putting teachers in charge of what kids need to learn.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Amazing how many comments and page view a Apple patent article gets, maybe this is why Tom's Hardware continues to keep pumping out these articles, great for advertisement revenue.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
My Nexus S 4G has a "bent" or concave screen already. It's been around for IDK, 4 years? Please don't tell me crapple is trying to say they invented this. I'm so sick of apple...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]My Nexus S 4G has a "bent" or concave screen already. It's been around for IDK, 4 years? Please don't tell me crapple is trying to say they invented this. I'm so sick of apple...[/citation]

They have not been given a patent by the U.S. Patent Agency for all bent screen, sheeesh people can't read anymore...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Three words, WHAT THE FUCK?

Seriously, this has been around for 1000s of years. I don't care how it's done, it is still the same.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Amazing how many comments and page view a Apple patent article gets, maybe this is why Tom's Hardware continues to keep pumping out these articles, great for advertisement revenue.[/citation]

You mean those ads nearly none of us see because we use ad block?

Yea, not very effective on a tech site.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]You mean those ads nearly none of us see because we use ad block?Yea, not very effective on a tech site.[/citation]

You're making the assumption people are blocking ads. Clearly if all ads were being blocked TH would have very little revenues, the fact they're still here indicates to be they are generating revenues from web ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.