Apple Pays Tribute to Steve Jobs on First Anniversary of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
and while some people mourn for Steve, the death of Dennis Ritchie(heavy hand in C language and Unix OS, which OSX and Linux roots from), a week later is overshadowed and forgotten by the general public.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Of course, condolences to the family and friends of anyone who passes away, but throughout my learning about Steve Jobs life (biography, various essays and articles, etc.), I can't think of one redeeming quality about him that makes me mourn his passing. I don't care how much he allegedly pushed an industry. He lived his life as a rude, mean, selfish child who bullied people to get what his ego demanded. That is something that should be condemned, not celebrated.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
technology alone is not enough -- it's technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities,

Exactly the source of the problem with Apple. It's technology and ONLY technology that matters. Take your liberal arts and humanities elsewhere.

[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]Wow, it's already been a year since that scum died?[/citation]

Time flies! :D

[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]Wonder if his casket had the same texture and slim design of his products?[/citation]

And only one button.

[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]and while some people mourn for Steve, the death of Dennis Ritchie(heavy hand in C language and Unix OS, which OSX and Linux roots from), a week later is overshadowed and forgotten by the general public.[/citation]

Exactly, I'm sure no one from the general crowd even knew who he was, but Jobs... sure, he was a "visionary". Unthankful fools.

Steve's only real talent was in marketing, so it seems fitting that the "Steve Jobs" brand continues to be refined and polished after his death. He was already quite the cult-leader-like character in life, but as more and more time distances us from his death, people's perceptions of him will be tinted ever rosier...

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Just asking - why is it we mark the death of a person? I would rather celebrate their birth - the beginning of their contributions to life, rather than the end.

Hey Apple, maybe you could start a new trend - have an event every year on Jobs' birthday; commemorate that instead.

Whether you like Steve Jobs and/or Apple or not, Jobs had an impact on your life. His name is pretty well known around the world, for good or ill. Mine isn't - sigh.

G

Steve Jobs changed the entire world with his visionary revamping of wireless media and communications. He’ll be a name which rings out through history for evolving the way we live, share and communicate. I was compelled to create a portrait of him, now In Memoriam on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2011/08/end-of-era-steve-jobs.html Drop by and tell me how one of the centuries greatest minds affected you.

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]dregstudios[/nom]Steve Jobs changed the entire world with his visionary revamping of wireless media and communications. He’ll be a name which rings out through history for evolving the way we live, share and communicate. I was compelled to create a portrait of him, now In Memoriam on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com [...] -jobs.html Drop by and tell me how one of the centuries greatest minds affected you.[/citation]

Can I downvote your website?

G

"Steve's only real talent was in marketing, so it seems fitting that the "Steve Jobs" brand continues to be refined and polished after his death. He was already quite the cult-leader-like character in life, but as more and more time distances us from his death, people's perceptions of him will be tinted ever rosier..."

Don't be so surprised. Remember when Michael Jackson died? He used to be known as a freaky pedo who holed himself up in his ranch doing who-knows-what. After he died, all of his sins were suddenly forgiven and people suddenly fell in love with him again like it was 1982 all over again.

Jobs died at the height of his career. Do you really expect anything less?

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]dregstudios[/nom]Drop by and tell me how one of the centuries greatest minds affected you.[/citation]

Without Einstein, there won't be nuclear power
Without Sikorsky, there won't be helicopters
Without Von Braun, there won't be rockets to the moon
Without Frank Whittle, there won't be jet engines
Without Dennis Ritchie, there won't be C++
without Stephen Hawkings, there won't be much understanding about Black Holes
Without Howard Hughes, America's aviation industry, particularly militarily wouldn't be as advanced.

so.....tell me......where does Steve Jabs come in the list of great people of the past century ?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]g-thor[/nom]Whether you like Steve Jobs and/or Apple or not, Jobs had an impact on your life. His name is pretty well known around the world, for good or ill. Mine isn't - sigh.[/citation]
Replace "Steve Jobs" with the name "Hitler" and your statement is still the same. Having an impact on life doesn't imply goodness. It doesn't make Hitler a good guy. Note--I'm not saying that SJ was anything like Hitler, but he was also no angel, and one should often ask oneself, "was the abuse that the man dished out, the hell he put so many people through who only wanted to do their job and support their family, worth it to have an MP3 player or a smartphone just to satisfy his over-developed ego?" My answer is "no."

The actions and behaviors taken by SJ during his life are not analogous with actions that define great people. I don't care how awesome of a phone or mp3 player he helped produce, or that he was able to participate in negotiations to have the music industry on-board with digital distribution of songs. Do the ends always justify the means? Is anything acceptable if it leads to a successful result? My answer is "no."

G

[citation][nom]dregstudios[/nom]Steve Jobs changed the entire world with his visionary revamping of wireless media and communications. He’ll be a name which rings out through history for evolving the way we live, share and communicate. I was compelled to create a portrait of him, now In Memoriam on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com [...] -jobs.html Drop by and tell me how one of the centuries greatest minds affected you.[/citation]
He didn't change shit, let alone THE WAY WE LIVE. He just made shiny overpriced gadgets.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
He is evilly good! He is obsessed with his own idea and he worked hard for it, and he made other people worked hard for it, and most people won't like it. If you want to achieve something, you have to work for it, not whine, like most of the ihaters/apple haters here. Some people want to be an angel, and some want to be an earth worm. I am glad his idea is not harmful in anyway to the world; in fact it is the opposite.

ithurtswhenipee

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]and while some people mourn for Steve, the death of Dennis Ritchie(heavy hand in C language and Unix OS, which OSX and Linux roots from), a week later is overshadowed and forgotten by the general public.[/citation]
isheep buy things that are 1. Not Microsoft, 2. Not Android 3. Shiny, 3. Expensive, 4. Will make them "look the part" in the local coffee shop. 5. "Unix what?"

G

[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]Wow, it's already been a year since that scum died?[/citation]

Wow, go burn in hell.

I hate Steve's business ethics, but he a fellow human. Come on. You aren't much better then him if you gave him that title because your fanboyism makes you auto aggro anything Apple related.

Status
Not open for further replies.