Apple Pledges to Take Care of Malware for Macs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
apple needs to admit that it's OS is not as secure as people might think and start investing in a top of the line security company to help them develop a powerful anti-malware package

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I kept trying to tell people who wanted to buy macs solely on the fact that they "never got viruses" that once enough people bought them, they'd be in the same boat as before. If the viruses get to the point where they are on windows this update method can't work.

G

if Mac OS X and Windows were a 50/50 split of the market, and coders were working on malware for both OSes, OS X would still be more secure thanks to it's rock solid unix architecture. Windows is just a much easier target.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rickjamesb1tch[/nom]if Mac OS X and Windows were a 50/50 split of the market, and coders were working on malware for both OSes, OS X would still be more secure thanks to it's rock solid unix architecture. Windows is just a much easier target.[/citation]

Apple is arrogant (just like your comment), and just like Sony... and we all know how that story goes...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]rickjamesb1tch[/nom]if Mac OS X and Windows were a 50/50 split of the market, and coders were working on malware for both OSes, OS X would still be more secure thanks to it's rock solid unix architecture. Windows is just a much easier target.[/citation]
And that is why the mac ALWAYS get screwed first in the Pwn2Own events??

"but now the company has set a new precedent"

What? MS has been doing this already.
You mean, a new precedent for Apple? Like providing for the customers beyond milking their money? You got that right.

"those less savvy users"
I'm afraid you got that right, too.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks Wiki-drwho1 for sharing this unbiased objective info with us.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Thanks Wiki-drwho1 for sharing this unbiased objective info with us.[/citation]

I meant rickjamesb1tch.. Sorry for the bashing ;p

lassik

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Apple support have always been great, no question.

It's never down to the manufacturer/OS company to get rid of viruses for you, because, lets face it; most viruses are down to the users stupidity or looking at too much pr0n.

So it's nice that Apple have created a fix for this.
Give M$ a call saying "I've got a virus, please create a security fix for it" and they'll laugh in your face.

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
I love how Apple only provides aid like this to its consumers after there's a leak showing how they're a soulless company who truly doesn't give two ****s about their customers.

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]Apple support have always been great, no question.It's never down to the manufacturer/OS company to get rid of viruses for you, because, lets face it; most viruses are down to the users stupidity or looking at too much pr0n. So it's nice that Apple have created a fix for this. Give M$ a call saying "I've got a virus, please create a security fix for it" and they'll laugh in your face.[/citation]

You obviously completely missed the article leading up to this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-mac-malware-virus-infection,12781.html

Well, yes, actually; they do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/129972/en-us
1-866-PCSAFETY
1-866-727-2338

These support lines can be used regardless of where the software was purchased / brand of computer / version of windows / etc.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]It doesn't matter how rock solid the Unix OS is for OS X, the biggest vulnerability is between the chair and keyboard.[/citation]
Especially if its a stupid ignorant macsheep sitting in the chair.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
My linux mint still no problems and running strong... but then again i only paid half for my cpu compared to what a mac cost

MSFT should run their own mac vs pc commerical making fun of this

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Up yours Apples
i bought my girlfriend shiny ipod on sale and she managed to sell it to her less tech savvy friend for more
ata girl !

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]My linux mint still no problems and running strong... but then again i only paid half for my cpu compared to what a mac costMSFT should run their own mac vs pc commerical making fun of this[/citation]

Agreed. If he's not under some exclusive deal with Apple, they should hire the same guy. Have him sneezing and coughing and running a fever and the nerdy guy aks whats wrong and he says he caught a virus and he's surprised cause he thought he was immune to that sort of thing. So something like that.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
[citation][nom]Flynn_Serlant[/nom]I love how Apple only provides aid like this to its consumers after there's a leak showing how they're a soulless company who truly doesn't give two ****s about their customers.[/citation]
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]Apple support have always been great, no question.It's never down to the manufacturer/OS company to get rid of viruses for you, because, lets face it; most viruses are down to the users stupidity or looking at too much pr0n. So it's nice that Apple have created a fix for this. Give M$ a call saying "I've got a virus, please create a security fix for it" and they'll laugh in your face.[/citation]
Uh, MS is constantly sending out free software fixes for vulnerabilities as they are discovered...it's called Windows Update ;-).

Flynn_Serlant

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]soccerplayer88[/nom]Since you mentioned that, I'll go ahead and leave this right here. http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=21097[/citation]

The epic-ness of this is too great to describe with words

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Lol. Do you know that Microsoft has a hot line dedicated only to malware?

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I have to work with Win and Mac, sometimes at the same time :) What annoys me the most in Win is the always-on antivirus. It spins the HDD almost always (and creates those annoying chirping sounds), it slows down the whole system, it annoys me with popups, it sometimes deletes legitimate files that I download, I just hate it. I hope that Mac avoids this.

I hope that Apple will say - you want virus-free soft? Get your Mac soft exclusively from Mac App Store.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Marcus and apple fans, you're saying apple is doing something most vendors don't do. You are aware that every month microsoft releases a malware removal kit. They've been doing that since at least xp service pack 2. Since microsoft has ~90% marketshare, that means that roughly 90% of the market has had this for years. But I guess since microsoft isn't apple, and apple is always forward thinking and innovative and they come up with everything, what microsoft has been doing for years doesn't count?

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
"Mac OS X is like living in a farmhouse in the country with no locks, and Windows is living in a house with bars on the windows in the bad part of town."

I'd rather live out in the country Mr Miller. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.