Apple Punches Through Psystar's Ch. 11 Stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Copyright infringement, where? That's like saying a book store can't sell books they already paid for. Apple got their money for their copyrighted software fair and square. First-sale doctrince says Psystar can re-sell the software if they want to. The only thing Psystar did was violate the EULA, which is NOT copyright violation. Considering you can't read Apple's EULA without opening the software anyway, its not even a binding contract.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
gotta love capitalism, when u can get sued out of business for trying to take a slice out of someone's monopoly. And before you start trying to gnaw at my balls, the only computer you are LEGALLY able to install MAC OS X on is an APPLE computer. That's a freaking MONOPOLY, okay not really, but kind of.

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
As much as I would love to agree with antilycus and his monopoly statement, i have to say that it is no a monopoly to want your own operating system on your "own" hardware. You dont see blackberry's OS on windows mobile phones for example.

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
etichi,
You obviously have no clue what you're talking about...

1) What people find to be "inferior" is their hardware with is generally speaking, outdated and overly expensive to update / upgrade.

2) Monopoly, no... Arrogant, yes.

3) Windows a train wreck? Hardly... OSX is a decent OS, but it's no godsend. It's NOT immune to viruses, and it DOES have bugs in the system. I'm sure if windows was only built to work perfectly on predefined hardware sets that it would work flawlessly too.

4) Name 1 thing that you can do on your $1,000+ mac that I cant do on any $400~$600 PC? Anything you can name is purely software based and has nothing to do with the computer. There are windows variants / substitutions for any product you can name.

The simple fact is that macs are grossly overpriced for what their capability is...

Mac OS X v10.5.6 Leopard: $129.00
Vista Ultimate 64: $174.99

Now why is it that Windows costs more, yet I cant get a computer for cheaper utilizing it? *cough*Apple Tax*cough*

If apple wants to step up, pull it's head out of it's own @$$, then I would consider it as a viable option for a computer. Until I can freely install OSX on whatever machine I want without Apple's hammer thumb getting in my way, then it will be ignored by me and my entire family. My step mother (a graphics designer) has already ditched her beloved mac for a PC, and her workmanship has yet to be challenged. I'll make apps for mac based systems cause I like money, but I'll never own one.

rhys216

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Small companies like this should get legal aid from tax payers in such a circumstance. Seems like a big company like Apple can bankrupt a company out spite with ease, simply by forcing them to incur legal fees!

Now it seems Apple is simply not happy with causing bankruptcy, and is VISCOUSLY still going for this companies blood!

Shame on Apple!

why? its the small company that started this mess and found out going halfway threw the trial they were not really able to afford to go threw with it. why should taxpayers pay these companies that do not know what they are getting into?

as for mac OSX. Apple made it so they can do whatever they want with it and if i were them i would tell these babies if you don't like it then f off.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Apple is so worried that other companies will follow where Psystar left off so they want to destroy Psystar in to the ground. They are too scared that their Apple Tax will be taken away from them. They love to control their hardware so their customers can brag about how their Macbooks have awesome firewire ports and stuff while a Dell or HP doesn't. Appleheads always look over the fact that Microsoft DOES NOT MAKE COMPUTORZ.

Even those dumb shiz Mac commercials try to fool kiddies in to buying Macs using this odd argument. "All the slow PCs step out of the line" and half the "PCs" step away... maybe cuz uhhhh Windows runs on more then 2 sets of hardware and you can actually buy a working laptop perfect for college for $430??? have fun finding a Mac that does that.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Copyright infringement, where? That's like saying a book store can't sell books they already paid for. Apple got their money for their copyrighted software fair and square. First-sale doctrince says Psystar can re-sell the software if they want to. The only thing Psystar did was violate the EULA, which is NOT copyright violation. Considering you can't read Apple's EULA without opening the software anyway, its not even a binding contract.[/citation]

don't ever let FACTS get in the way of money... such is the way legal proceedings operate in most of the world... whenever things don't seem to be going the logical way, ask yourself, "who has the most money to throw around?"

zebrafunk

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
Apple zealots have and will continue to drink at the fire hose pace, and no power in the verse will stop them, by God or Job’s (not in that order). I own an iMac 24 2.4 and a MacBook 13 aluminum 2.0 and thoroughly enjoy the Mac Leopard OS, not only for its seemingly easy and compact usability, but for its challenge to the Microsoft monolith OS standing. But don't misunderstand this enjoyment for love, or a desire to sleep with the random MacGeek passersby.

I have largely earned my living on top of the Microsoft freight train, and have paid dearly for what feels like a dejected Indian ridding on top with many other likewise dejected passengers. Although by no fault of Microsoft's, I have been anything from free tech support to a Platinum Beta test site, and at no point did I ever receive anything that could be misconstrued as compensation for my efforts. I completed my MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA and MCSD in 2003, again aside from several fairly nice wall certs, nothing from Microsoft. So I likewise have no great love for Microsoft. These facts are not stated for self-aggrandizement as I find no specific operational benefit from certifications, but to clearly lay out where and how I stand in the middle.

What I can tell you is that the EULA –v- copyright argument is not sustainable in a just court, and I continue to be disappointed by not only “make work” attorney mindset, but am repulsed by the court that entertains the argument, further polluting an already unconstitutional docket backlog.

It seems to me that Apple has violated the open source agreement that exists with BSD and the free (FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD) community. BSD started in 1974 at Berkley as PDP-11 and was largely source modified by students (slave labor), and they contributed that intellectual properly FREELY. If Apple wants to bring a suit, they might consider going after Keith Bostic and the Net/2 release in a joint suit with AT&T? Since Sun is also BSD maybe we could finish the painful death of Sun, and at the same time dethrone the self-named King Jobs, which in turn would rip the worm from the Apple, and leave the rest of us with an unfettered OS that spans multiple platforms?

Leopard = BSD + Gnome + very little spit and polish
Windows = CPM/DOS + Lisa + right place at the right time + several years of piracy

It is only a matter of time until someone regens a Leopard’esque OS on top of BSD, and presents it free to the X86 world. Of course Apple will bring a groundless suit against them as well. Universal constants hold true, when you take a bite out of an Apple it is sweet and juicy, but within minutes it changes colors, starts to rot and has to be thrown out.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
90% of the WORLD doesn't use nor wants to use a Macrap.

What do we do with all that power that only PCs can provide? We do mult-cpu multi-gpu video editing, we run the business world, and we can actualy play games!

LMAO@U!

rooseveltdon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
[citation][nom]saturn77[/nom]90% of the WORLD doesn't use nor wants to use a Macrap.What do we do with all that power that only PCs can provide? We do mult-cpu multi-gpu video editing, we run the business world, and we can actualy play games! LMAO@U![/citation]
PWNED!

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What some of you want to see is not government assistance for small companies to pay legal fees, but a loser pays system. Currently, it is possible, but not guaranteed, for the winner of such lawsuits to have the loser pay their legal fees.

Some members of Congress (mostly Republicans) wants to pass a law making it obligatory that the loser pays the winner's legal fees. This is the main component of tort reform bills that are discussed from time to time.

reddozen

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
lol...

poor etichi.
I code in both winblows and *nix environments all day every day too? what's your point?
server = *nix
personal computer = winblows dual boot

you're tired of the "but but but my pc is way more powerful than an apple.", and I'm tired of the "but mine's prettier!". zebrafunk made my point a lot better than I could have, so enough said.

I have no problem with OSX, and I would gladly use it given that the choice was mine as to what I did with it. Just like you say "(I) prefer not to use Microsoft's products out of principle", I wont touch anything mac related until they decide to join the rest of the world on a lower pedestal. OSX is nothing special. Just a modified and polished X-Windows interface to BSD.

Windows is for those of us that like to make money by maximizing our user base. It has nothing to do with brand loyalty. It's as you say... "principle"

crystalized

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
[citation][nom]cielmerlion[/nom]As much as I would love to agree with antilycus and his monopoly statement, i have to say that it is no a monopoly to want your own operating system on your "own" hardware. You dont see blackberry's OS on windows mobile phones for example.[/citation]
But you don't see blackberry selling their OS to customers at retail stores do you?

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]saturn77[/nom]90% of the WORLD doesn't use nor wants to use a Macrap.What do we do with all that power that only PCs can provide? We do mult-cpu multi-gpu video editing, we run the business world, and we can actualy play games! LMAO@U![/citation]
Orrr you just play games, and decode dvd's and blue ray into divx and by run the world you probably mean world of warcraft.

norbs

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]@saturn77you prove my point to a T. I know apple acolytes are annoying and I am not one of them. I use the product and go on my merry way. You are the equivalent annoying piss ant PC user who seems to have a beef with Apple for no good reason. You run the business world but certainly NOT the scientific world. Chew on that princess.@rooseveltdon you're a tool.[/citation]

Dude it's really not worth fighting this battle... Some people are hard set to wave their flag of their favorite OS. I am by far not a Mac fanboy but I appreciate the product. I own 4 PC's, 1 is a full on hackintosh and another is a dual boot osx/xp machine. I've tried to educate the zombies but they are mostly kids that are trying to get the best frame rates in their video game.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]@saturn77you prove my point to a T. I know apple acolytes are annoying and I am not one of them. I use the product and go on my merry way. You are the equivalent annoying piss ant PC user who seems to have a beef with Apple for no good reason. You run the business world but certainly NOT the scientific world. Chew on that princess.@rooseveltdon you're a tool.[/citation]

Ah did I strike a nerve there little wise and beautiful woman? QQ more! The scientific world? LOL! Hardly. I'm sure those schools that buy Apples love crashing their budgets. Why the f would they want an Apple and spend 2x as much and get less horsepower?

Anyways, thanks for backing me up. You can't constest what I said. Our stuff is faster, runs the business and gaming world. GG.

saturn77

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]Orrr you just play games, and decode dvd's and blue ray into divx and by run the world you probably mean world of warcraft.[/citation]

Or I could have meant exactly what I said. We run the BUSINESS WORLD. We also control video editing and now photo editing. Multi-GPU (oh and the new ones not the 1 year old crap) is what is available to us. New Photoshop is also PC exclusive.

And what's really funny about your statement is how ironic and stupid you are. Apples can only run World of Warcraft which is a 4 year old game. Good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.