Apple Quarterly Results Fall Short of Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
No really? Wutcha thunk... profits always come down from time to time. I got fed up with hearing people acting like Apple is invincible... Im glad the downturn is here now to shut these stupid investors and blind rabid fans up.

Wow that took some time for this news to show up.

I have to really wonder if Apple has dug a grave for themselves in doing so well in previous quarters. It simply sets a very high bar - and the bar keeps going higher and higher. At some point, the bar will have to drop down.

Regardless of the revenue that was short of expectations though, it's certainly doing better than every other phone manufacturer, nonetheless.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Well given that they grew revenue by 22% and net profit by 21% versus the same quarter last year, I'd actually say they did pretty well.

derkman

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
The reason iPhone sales are down is because the Appledrones are waiting for their precious iPhone 5 release. I will sit and watch the the iPhone conference and laugh at it with my Galaxy S III by my side.

ankaJ42

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
"The Cupertino-based company reported quarterly revenue of $35 billion, and a quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion (or $9.32 per diluted share)."

"Apple's own expectations for Q3 were $34 billion in revenue and diluted earnings per share of about $8.68."

35>34, 9.32>8.68 How is this missing expectations? Am I missing something here?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Apple actually did great. The Analysts are just crazy, putting out such high numbers in the first place. Apple's sales were up by a large margin year over year. They weren't up as high as some of the analysts expected though.

I think the main culprit is Samsung, which had a bang out quarter. Also Apple is not doing as well in laptop/desktop sales as they had hope, which I take as actually being a good thin for the other computer makers.

Anyway, Apple is part real and part fad and the fad part might be wearing thin.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I wish I had the problem of only increasing my net earnings 21% from the year before. Most individuals in the US haven't done as well, so the only problem for Apple right now is that some group of analysts thought they'd do better.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Apple's own analysts set the bar at 37.2 billion, actual sales were 35 billion. That's missing the mark by a huge amount, and why Apple stocks have dropped $25 today. Saying "everyone is waiting for the iphone 5" is just another spin. I agree with southernshark, the fad part of apple is rotting.

Personally I'm waiting for wp8 to see how it integrates with xbox and w8.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Apple actually did great. The Analysts are just crazy, putting out such high numbers in the first place. Apple's sales were up by a large margin year over year. They weren't up as high as some of the analysts expected though.I think the main culprit is Samsung, which had a bang out quarter. Also Apple is not doing as well in laptop/desktop sales as they had hope, which I take as actually being a good thin for the other computer makers.Anyway, Apple is part real and part fad and the fad part might be wearing thin.[/citation]
I'd bet all of these "analysts" hold Apple stock so it's in their best personal interest to exaggerate a bit.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Apple are still able to live of legacy left my Steve Jobs, the real acid test for Apple is in the 3 to 5 years when they need new products and ideas to stimulate growth and take over from their current products like the Ipod, Iphone etc.

Personally I think Apple will regress in time Steve Jobs shoes are to big fill but there's no reason why they can't continue to keep launching new Mac's for home users and professionals as these never go out fashion and have a steady and loyal fanbase. Shame the same can't said of the iphone which is getting commercially gang rapped by Android based phones.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Shame the same can't said of the iphone which is getting commercially gang rapped by Android based phones.[/citation]
Problem is Android isn't making the phones, you can't just add them all together and say they are making more sales, since when did HTC sales count towards Samsung sales? Samsung are the only ones getting close with the SGS3 in terms of a single handset, but Samsung as a whole is selling more for sure
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_broke_smartphone_sales_record_in_q2_extends_gap_to_apple-news-4532.php
In 1 year Samsung has overtaken Apple in smartphone sales and is gaining even more speed, it makes sense to have a range of handsets to suit everyone then you can capture a bigger market, I have been saying Apple should have done an iPhone Nano for years and maybe with 2 handsets they could have fought a better fight, instead of relying on dodgy lawsuits to hold Samsung back

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Apple are still able to live of legacy left my Steve Jobs, the real acid test for Apple is in the 3 to 5 years when they need new products and ideas to stimulate growth and take over from their current products like the Ipod, Iphone etc. Personally I think Apple will regress in time Steve Jobs shoes are to big fill but there's no reason why they can't continue to keep launching new Mac's for home users and professionals as these never go out fashion and have a steady and loyal fanbase. Shame the same can't said of the iphone which is getting commercially gang rapped by Android based phones.[/citation]macbookpro arent doing good either with their insanely high price. I mean HOW would u buy something soo much more expensive when u can get the same thing elsewhere with at least $500 cheaper. No reason at all.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ankaJ42[/nom]"The Cupertino-based company reported quarterly revenue of $35 billion, and a quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion (or $9.32 per diluted share)."[/citation]

Nice profit non the less, each iSheep 100$ dollar give apple 25$ and that's after brainwashing err i mean marketing costs, foxcon burial costs and the like!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]" actual sales were 28 billion" Huh??From the article:"The Cupertino-based company reported quarterly revenue of $35 billion"[/citation]

That's after the lawyer sucking from other companies, its not sales!

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
OK, then... source?

The following site has the break-down; the $35 B is sales and related services around their products
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/24/apple-q3-2012-hardware-sales-numbers/

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]ankaJ42[/nom]"The Cupertino-based company reported quarterly revenue of $35 billion, and a quarterly net profit of $8.8 billion (or $9.32 per diluted share).""Apple's own expectations for Q3 were $34 billion in revenue and diluted earnings per share of about $8.68."35>34, 9.32>8.68 How is this missing expectations? Am I missing something here?[/citation]
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Well given that they grew revenue by 22% and net profit by 21% versus the same quarter last year, I'd actually say they did pretty well.[/citation]
They expected net profit to go up 25%, thus they missed the mark and share prices go down. God bless modern markets that function purely on speculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.