Apple Releases New Macs Along With OS X Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]festerovic[/nom]a mac mini with the apple logo scratched off, and running windows, would be pretty sweet for a HTPC, seeing how most media is digital anyways.[/citation]
Why Windows?
Mac OS or Linux both make good home theatre systems.

[citation][nom]droking[/nom]wow bunch of low numbers and high costs... most retarded company that ever existed next to sony[/citation]

How many 13", 3lbs ultra portables with a 1.7GHz Core i5, SSD and 7 hours of battery life for $1300 can you name?
The MacBook Air is a pretty sweet deal.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]wow bunch of low numbers and high costs... most retarded company that ever existed next to sony[/citation]

First off, Microsoft will never sell an OS update for $30.00. So I think we can all agree that low number is a huge plus for Apple.

I think the MacBook Air price is reasonable for an ultra-light notebook with an awesome suite of integrated applications. Sure there are some PC's with similar specs, but also a similar price and no bundled apps.

The MacMini is the least expensive of the Macs. It doesn't appeal to me, but it would make a nice small server.

Two out of three isn't bad...

Finally, Apple is far, far, from the most retarded company that ever existed. I buy Apple stuff because I got tired of waiting for other companies to copy them... Microsoft for example....

[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]First off, Microsoft will never sell an OS update for $30.00. [/citation]

No, but Apple also sells you extraordinarily marked-up hardware to go with it.

[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]I buy Apple stuff because I got tired of waiting for other companies to copy them... Microsoft for example....[/citation]

lolz. Here we go again.

uneaq

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
As other mention, its not that many ultraportables to chose from with these specs. Personally I want a ultraportable with 3000 HD graphics, possibilities for upgrades and the best resolution possible. MBA is one of two challengers in my eyes, but due the better screen and hardware I dont even have to mention the brand names of preferation - I'm waiting for the Vaio Z to be released for pre-order in my country.

I never understood why people would want to game etc. on an ultraportable. Without proper sized screens and mechanical keyboard - you wont perform anyways IMO. And if performing the best you can do in games does not matter, then you might aswell buy an XBOX or PS.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]How many 13", 3lbs ultra portables with a 1.7GHz Core i5, SSD and 7 hours of battery life for $1300 can you name?The MacBook Air is a pretty sweet deal.[/citation]
The Asus 2.4lbs, usb3, I7, instant on, 8+ hour battery ultrabook comes out next month, but it cost's less than $1000, so none.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Why Windows?Mac OS or Linux both make good home theatre systems.How many 13", 3lbs ultra portables with a 1.7GHz Core i5, SSD and 7 hours of battery life for $1300 can you name?The MacBook Air is a pretty sweet deal.[/citation]

well if you have the arm strength to carry one that weighs a full pound more you could build one with a 2.3 Ghz processor and better specs all around, few hours less battery life, $300 less. so I guess for people who can't carry 4-5 lbs around yeah thats a sweet deal.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]First off, Microsoft will never sell an OS update for $30.00. So I think we can all agree that low number is a huge plus for Apple.I think the MacBook Air price is reasonable for an ultra-light notebook with an awesome suite of integrated applications. Sure there are some PC's with similar specs, but also a similar price and no bundled apps.The MacMini is the least expensive of the Macs. It doesn't appeal to me, but it would make a nice small server.Two out of three isn't bad... Finally, Apple is far, far, from the most retarded company that ever existed. I buy Apple stuff because I got tired of waiting for other companies to copy them... Microsoft for example....[/citation]

I don't like bundled apps, ever as for copying look at the history of OSX before you talk. I also like gaming on my PC, and its already known that OSX does not perform well at this.

The ultra-portable looks interesting, high but not bad for what you get.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Thats more of a downgrade to go from GTX320 to Intel HD3000.
Onboard graphics suck no matter what, even on the new Sandy Bridge.

Also, in an age where 6-8GB of RAM is now standard on all retail computers from bestbuy etc, why is there still only 2 and 4GB?

These specs are worse than a netbook nowadays

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Sony Vaio Z is > 2K, Samsung series 9 has underwhelming specs and costs just as much, Dell doesn't have anything to compete. Lenovo X series is great but really expensive. I hear Asus has something in the works, but it's not here yet. At this point in time, the MB Air is a good deal with the i7. One major fault is lack of USB3, can't make up for that with Thurnderbolt.

I love the Lion OS. The multitouch gestures really give it a fluid experience. This in contrast to my Windows use, which has me doing the same motions and clicking for the last 15 years. I think it's time to evolve as a computer user and move onto something new and interesting!

Also, it's funny how the same folks who were hating Macs, were scolding Windows 10 years ago. Times change, the contrarianists feel the need to stir the pot, and the wise keep to themselves.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]The Asus 2.4lbs, usb3, I7, instant on, 8+ hour battery ultrabook comes out next month, but it cost's less than $1000, so none.[/citation]

I was talking about the 13.3" model. That Asus has a 11.6" 16:9 display. (28% smaller than 13.3" 16:10)

Now try again. Name one ultra portable with the same or better specs than the 13" MacBook Air that isn't a 2grand+ Sony Vaio Z.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]I buy Apple stuff because I got tired of waiting for other companies to copy them... Microsoft for example....[/citation]
You're talking about a company that basically still uses the same layout introduces by Xerox which Apple copied from. The biggest difference is that it has the dock. Oh, I forgot that it was also stolen from Sun!

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
The new 11 inch Air is very appealing to me, and the price is reasonable, very comparable to the competition (although admittedly there isn't much in the ultraportable sector so far). I'd prefer Windows and not have the mild embarrassment of the Apple logo vulgarly plastered on the lid, but I'm getting sick of waiting for an 11 inch CULV SSD laptop for under £1000.

I also have to admit liking the fact that the UK site already has the new Airs with full details and specifications up already, compared to the likes of Asus and Samsung who tend to update in a delayed, haphazard fashion, or placeholders saying "coming soon", etc.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]First off, Microsoft will never sell an OS update for $30.00. So I think we can all agree that low number is a huge plus for Apple.I think the MacBook Air price is reasonable for an ultra-light notebook with an awesome suite of integrated applications. Sure there are some PC's with similar specs, but also a similar price and no bundled apps.The MacMini is the least expensive of the Macs. It doesn't appeal to me, but it would make a nice small server.Two out of three isn't bad... Finally, Apple is far, far, from the most retarded company that ever existed. I buy Apple stuff because I got tired of waiting for other companies to copy them... Microsoft for example....[/citation]

they continue to sell OS updates at more than $30. i paid 100$ for win7 pro which is an upgrade to windows xp 64.

smfrazz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]they continue to sell OS updates at more than $30. i paid 100$ for win7 pro which is an upgrade to windows xp 64.[/citation]

No that's not an update...that's a very different OS all toegether (XP -> Win 7). Service Pack releases are the equivalent to what Apple charges $30 for and calls it significant. The core of the OS doesn't change and hasn't changed for a long time with OSX. And as someone else said...they sell their hardware at a premium so you can't compare a true software company that can't offset the price of the OS through its hardware prices like Apple can. It's not a fair comparison.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
For all the PC guys complaining about the prices remember that that 3 years later you can sell most Macs for 50-70% of what you paid for it. Good luck reselling a 2 year old PC for even 20% of what you paid for it.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]inthere[/nom]For all the PC guys complaining about the prices remember that that 3 years later you can sell most Macs for 50-70% of what you paid for it. Good luck reselling a 2 year old PC for even 20% of what you paid for it.[/citation]

With how often I troll again the haters... I wonder why I've never thought about that.. lol. But very true. Very very true.

And honestly.. the prices aren't that bad.. People just love to exaggerate.. And each time they quote a price, they "magically" add to it..

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Nobody mentioned this, but notice that they dropped the polycarbonate white macbook. Now the Macbook Air is the base model. I will say that if they're trying to market themselves as a "premium company", then abolishing that base Macbook was a good idea. Not that I'm particularly fond of Apple's expensive products any more than I was before, I'm just saying that was a smart move for reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.