Apple Sells 3 Million iPads in Under Three Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuguz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]The only positive thing about this is that many other companies are going to want a piece of that pie.[/citation]

I certainly hope so. I'm really interested in an android or windows based tablet. Its not that I need one, my laptop works well for serious purposes but you can't have enough gadgets hehe.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Even if you don't like Steve Jobs, Apple and/or their products, you have to admire their business savvy, and how they are able to create a captive audience that will buy their products regardless of what they are actually capable of doing.
Their ability to convince people that they must buy Apple products to be cool and that, in contrast, competitor products are terminally unhip is almost preternatural.

My hat off to Apple.

But not my wallet.

Hmmmm 3 million who wont see the light of Flash any time soon. 3 million who will learn the hard way when it comes to moving files on to and off though iTunes. 3 million who over paid for as little as 16gb storage vs a 6 year old laptop/macbook that has 40gb+ while they top out at 64gb but like the rest aren't upgradable. 3 million who only bought this to tinker around with instead of daily practical use. 3 million who could have bought something better on the second hand market for less like Motion Computing or a used Figiju stylistic. Don't forget those still useful TC 1100.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
It reminds me of the skit Jim Gaffigan does and it goes something like

Some French guy's sitting there, like "How dumb do I think the Americans are? I bet you we could sell those idiots water." "Look, Pierre, the Americans are pretty dumb, but they're not going to buy water." "Oh yes they are! Let's just tell the Americans the water's from France."

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]He's still calling it magical?[/citation]

The first time he called it magical, 3 million people bought one. Why would he stop?

zambutu

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
ah you haters don't know what your missing. there's nothing like sitting out on the deck on a breezy day, enjoying a bit of ipad web surfing and an earthquake

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I personally have no use for such device. My kids on the other hand can't take their hands off my brother's iPad 3G. I tried the Netflix app on it and it's slow and and sluggish at best. Must be ATT's 3G network.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
A lady at work got an IPAD right after it came out and of course brought it to me to look at since I’m the head of It. She was so proud of it. I am an avid Kindle lover so I picked the IPAD up and was shocked at how heavy it was... Besides the fact that it is backlit LCD... I wouldn’t touch one for reading. Other than that... it wasn’t connected to any wireless so it was as useful as a brick. I can’t believe 3 million people bought this turd... but it fits the Mac MO so well... I buy and expensive thng to browse the web and pretend I its not a computer (but actually is... even if its limited) Give it Windows 7 or even the full MAC OS and then we will talk. Hell.. Id even take a DROID based pad.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]sstym[/nom]Even if you don't like Steve Jobs, Apple and/or their products, you have to admire their business savvy, and how they are able to create a captive audience that will buy their products regardless of what they are actually capable of doing.Their ability to convince people that they must buy Apple products to be cool and that, in contrast, competitor products are terminally unhip is almost preternatural.My hat off to Apple.But not my wallet.[/citation]
Anyone can attract the sheep. Just say "look this product is awesome" and they will all buy it. its no wonder that the same people who own an apple product right now will buy another tomorrow. By that I mean that the audience never grows, sales will remain the same until a few years when more sheep have matured

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
3 million iPads sold. Even if this was just in the US, it would be BARELY 1% penetration in the market of 300 million people. In other words, 1 out of 100 Americans would have one.

Of course, this number is probably closer to worldwide and there are 6 BILLION people on the planet. Assuming they are marketing to 50% of the world, that is 0.1% penetration, or 1/1000 people.

Not a very awe inspiring number, to be honest.

G

3 million x ~$500 a piece. That's a nifty bump to the bottom line.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
3 million suckers.to bad they will regret it later on

thank you for supporting DRM and a big thank you from the traditional paper based book publishers

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]3 million iPads sold. Even if this was just in the US, it would be BARELY 1% penetration in the market of 300 million people. In other words, 1 out of 100 Americans would have one.Of course, this number is probably closer to worldwide and there are 6 BILLION people on the planet. Assuming they are marketing to 50% of the world, that is 0.1% penetration, or 1/1000 people.Not a very awe inspiring number, to be honest.[/citation]

Interesting, only 70 million people have a Wii after 4 years...yet it's considered a huge success. We're talking 80 days here...

But, your stats are flawed, since you should probably be counting households as the market, not necessarily people.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Anyone can attract the sheep. Just say "look this product is awesome" and they will all buy it. its no wonder that the same people who own an apple product right now will buy another tomorrow. By that I mean that the audience never grows, sales will remain the same until a few years when more sheep have matured[/citation]

That's funny, I think Microsoft said Vista was awesome. I'm sure Palm said the Pre was the best phone in the world. In fact, what company hasn't said their product is awesome? Your logic is fubar.

Status
Not open for further replies.