Apple Suffers Largest Stock Decline in 11 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Now it's more than just a correction and investors taking money off the table. There is some real concern about Apple's strategy (marketing tiny incremental improvement as something "magical" with each product).

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Yesterday I was renewing my contract with my carrier, and the guy being attended next to me was telling the guy he didn't want the iPhone 5 because his iPhone 4 was enough, the customer service guy was telling him how the upgrade would be cheap ($250) for a vastly upgraded phone and blah blah, but the guy kept insisting he just wanted to stay with the iPhone 4 and renew contract without additional costs.

I think it's getting to the point where many mainstream (note, not hardcore or tech-savy) users simply don't care about more performance until something revolutionary happens that needs it. They just want to make calls, browse the internet, check emails, some music, Angry Birds, and maybe a movie or two; and for that the iPhone 4 is enough already.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I remember when one of my friends bought like 20 of Apple's stocks in a stock stimulation game for the state-mandated Personal Finance class...

At around $700, the day before it started to decline.

Today he asked me when will Apple's stocks climb back to $700 so he doesn't take a stupidly large loss.

What should I tell him tomorrow?

Only means that more and more people wake up and smell the future. And it doesn't smell like apples.
Now, with BB10 around the corner (a vastly superior device, compared with iPhone), the array of choices is even larger, for consumers' benefit.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
EDIT: I also forgot to mention that my friend was in a contest to see who can earn the most amount of money from the game. I'm fairly sure he's nowhere close to first place.

Meanwhile, I've been shorting against Apple's stock since the start of the school year.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Well about time the people start to really look at the "value" of crapple.

I'm not denying their involvement of the rise of tablet's, media players and smartphones. All in all though, they did not innovate at all, just took a design and made it better.

...Thinking back, what was Apple founded on? Hmm......an OS, that somehow was built off a simliar system Xerox had....

Apple does and always will take a design, tweak it, market the hell out of it (they really do), and I will say brilliant marketing to the common person.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I won't buy a phone any bigger than the iPhone 4 and even it's a bit much. Physically large phones are too much of an inconvenience and embarrassing to be seen with.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
There is only so many times you can tout the "I has a new hat!" line before people cotton on to the fact that in reality: Apple just doesn't have that much more to offer us. I eagerly await Samsung to deal the final blow.

G

As for people not upgrading to the iPhone 5 I feel that it is more of a timing thing. I cant upgrade to the 5 until may of this year. So I would not upgrade until I can get the phone at a discounted point! I am not willing to pay $250 more than I have to if I wait. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there that due to the timing of the iPhone 4 Release date and the 5 date that a lot of people are not able to do the update yet unless they are willing to pay the full or almost full price. For that I am sure that people are just waiting till they can and that mean slower buying of Apple phones.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wdmfiber[/nom]I won't buy a phone any bigger than the iPhone 4 and even it's a bit much. Physically large phones are too much of an inconvenience and embarrassing to be seen with.[/citation]

I don't know about embarrassing... inconvenient, possibly.

halcyon

Splendid
Apple needs to do something significant. They need to make the next iPhone something that is as good or superior to an S3 with Android JellyBean with really competitive hardware...and, well, I don't see that happening...they like little screens. Tim Cook needs to find a way to lead his teams to innovate or watch this decline become the norm. ...and frankly, I just don't see it happening. Apple, yeah they had a good run...now grab some popcorn and let's sit back and watch their decline (me with a bit of sadness). Tim Cook is not the maniac that Steve Jobs was...good and bad.

Tim Cook is not the maniac that Steve Jobs was...good and bad.

Wouldn't of changed much had Steve still been at the helm. Stock price would of slipped slower as everyone would of bet on Steve doing "something". Though in the end we're seeing history repeat itself.

Apple is brilliant and UI design and marketing. They make things look *good*, their not innovative or any other marketing buzzword, they haven't invented anything new. Apple simply took stuff other people made (and poorly marketed), put them together with a fresh coat of paint, made it easy for the user and put a whole lot of "cool / hip" advertising behind it. Their using the fashion industries model for products.

This works well as long as they have the market cornered, once someone else comes along and is willing to provide a competitive product at a lower price point their market share immediately shrinks. Apple products, like designer brand hand bags, will remain "look at me" items. Their market share will shrink as the regular folks who only care about getting what they need at the lowest price opt for the cheaper alternatives. If Apple lowers it's price to compete then it'll tarnish it's "designer" status.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]My tracfone does everything that I want a cellphone to do and what cellphones should do: Make phone calls... at a fraction of the price....[/citation]
You do realize it's not 1998 right?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]Well about time the people start to really look at the "value" of crapple.I'm not denying their involvement of the rise of tablet's, media players and smartphones. All in all though, they did not innovate at all, just took a design and made it better....Thinking back, what was Apple founded on? Hmm......an OS, that somehow was built off a simliar system Xerox had....Apple does and always will take a design, tweak it, market the hell out of it (they really do), and I will say brilliant marketing to the common person.[/citation]

And Windows was based off what?
And the Zune was based off what?
The Surface RT was based off what?
Microsoft physical stores are based off what?

Just in case you don't know, its:

Mac operating system
iPod
iPad
Apple Store

By the way Apple paid money to see Xerox's GUI OS. Xerox has zero capability to bring it to the masses, they only really did R&D and enterprise technologies not consumer level products. It was Apple that brought GUI OS to the consumers, they opened up that market.

It was Apple with the iPhone and iPad that opened up a viable market for touch based products. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry manufacturer are making these products.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It just means the stock was overvalued to begin with. Happens to a lot of companies (much as I'd like not a knock against Apple), the stock price is just correcting itself.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]And Windows was based off what?And the Zune was based off what?The Surface RT was based off what?Microsoft physical stores are based off what?Just in case you don't know, its:Mac operating systemiPodiPadApple StoreBy the way Apple paid money to see Xerox's GUI OS. Xerox has zero capability to bring it to the masses, they only really did R&D and enterprise technologies not consumer level products. It was Apple that brought GUI OS to the consumers, they opened up that market.It was Apple with the iPhone and iPad that opened up a viable market for touch based products. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry manufacturer are making these products.[/citation]
In case You were confused at what I was trying to get at I'll explain.

Microsoft wasn't even mentioned in what I was talking about. I did not even talk about Microsoft being an innovator of any sorts, I was solely focused on Apple.

Secondly, I didn't go into detail about Apple and Xerox. It wasn't for the fact that Xerox couldn't bring the GUI to the masses, its' the fact that they thought it wasn't anything worthwhile (at the executive level at least).

Again, I did not discuss on how Apple "opened" up viable markets, my point was about people claiming Apple to be innovative or Apple branding themselves innovative.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]Warsaw[/nom]In case You were confused at what I was trying to get at I'll explain.Microsoft wasn't even mentioned in what I was talking about. I did not even talk about Microsoft being an innovator of any sorts, I was solely focused on Apple.Secondly, I didn't go into detail about Apple and Xerox. It wasn't for the fact that Xerox couldn't bring the GUI to the masses, its' the fact that they thought it wasn't anything worthwhile (at the executive level at least).Again, I did not discuss on how Apple "opened" up viable markets, my point was about people claiming Apple to be innovative or Apple branding themselves innovative.[/citation]

And what I am saying is providing new and innovate products that create viable multi-billion dollar markets that competitors come and follow demonstrates Apple innovation.

You do realize no one cared for finger touch smartphones or tablets until Apple came out with their products.

No one cared for GUI based computers in their homes until Apple came out with their products.

I challenge you to find a computer company that has provided a body of products that have been first to market that millions flocked to and competitors replicated.

krowbar

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Abandon ship!
Who would have thought that apple would continue it's fashion style this far anyway? Isn't apple just status item like beats by dre and all the rest?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]And what I am saying is providing new and innovate products that create viable multi-billion dollar markets that competitors come and follow demonstrates Apple innovation.You do realize no one cared for finger touch smartphones or tablets until Apple came out with their products.No one cared for GUI based computers in their homes until Apple came out with their products.I challenge you to find a computer company that has provided a body of products that have been first to market that millions flocked to and competitors replicated.[/citation]
1st to market? Well, I'd definitely challenge that statement.

Otherwise if you are asking about a computer company that has marketed products in the millions units -wise I'd go with Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.