Apple Tablet Aiming to "Redefine Print"

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

at that price point and for its rumored purpose i foresee extremely limited adoption.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
@njkid: you lack vision. This is apple here. They could slap their logo on a brick, charge $500, and sell millions to idiots who buy anything labeled as Apple, regardless of what it does or how well it does it. Then they find out the brick's battery can't be replaced, and complain on the forums. Apple deletes the forum entries with the complaints, and the people who complained forget there was ever a problem, and line up to buy to new iBrick 2.0, which is the same as the first iBrick, but only costs $400 this time.

G

[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]@njkid: you lack vision. This is apple here. They could slap their logo on a brick, charge $500, and sell millions to idiots who buy anything labeled as Apple, regardless of what it does or how well it does it. Then they find out the brick's battery can't be replaced, and complain on the forums. Apple deletes the forum entries with the complaints, and the people who complained forget there was ever a problem, and line up to buy to new iBrick 2.0, which is the same as the first iBrick, but only costs $400 this time.[/citation]

i understand where you are coming from but my comment was meant for limited adoption with people with a brain and not by mindless drones.

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think that's a little skewed. Eveything has it's problems, but some companies have a different idea of innovation. I doubt they are just throwing around the idea of a kindle like device but rather a tablet like device with an integrated ereader. I think you need to stop coining consumers as idiots.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]@njkid: you lack vision. This is apple here. They could slap their logo on a brick, charge $500, and sell millions to idiots who buy anything labeled as Apple, regardless of what it does or how well it does it. Then they find out the brick's battery can't be replaced, and complain on the forums. Apple deletes the forum entries with the complaints, and the people who complained forget there was ever a problem, and line up to buy to new iBrick 2.0, which is the same as the first iBrick, but only costs $400 this time.[/citation]

Hellwig's comment is so awesome it deserves to be repeated.

beehew

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
[citation][nom]NegativeX[/nom]4 years too late Apple.With the Samsung Q1, Motion LS800 and subsequent clones, there's not much left except a few scrap pieces for Apple too mop up. Should of re-released the Newton years ago aye?The only thing Apple with be redefining, is your pocket book and their subsequent Apple tax.[/citation]
No, Apple fanatics will find a way to explain how all of these precursors actually copied Apple's product. Just wait...

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Here:s how I foresee the Apple tablet:

Looks sorta like s large iPod touch, centered heavily on entertainment (don't forget games!). It will be the perfect size for ebooks, and even a good size for etextbooks (esp with color scree). The Kindle etexbook experiment has flopped for many reasons, but I bet if you put etextbooks on a large ipod-esque tablet computer you'll have a winner. All that stuff into something as thick as one of the early-generation iPod classics (10GB?) weighing a half pound or so.

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
i cannot find the video on you-tube about the dual mode e-ink screen that I saw around february.. my guess is that apple will use said screen (which has a faster update than kindle (and color).

therefore, it will probably be the ipod of magazines. because it will be able to show full page color print ads......

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
What's not innovative here? Full color touch screen Kindle! ie. Newspapers and magazines with color.

Stop hating on Apple because they might do it first. Someone else will come out with the same thing later next year that YOU can afford (then you'll applaud it). Besides, I know all of you love your overpriced iPods.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]I wish people on this forum would grow a pair and state " I don't like Apple because I just don't like them" Don't give me this bullshit Apple tax. Tell me, do you look at a person wearing a Rolex, Omega, or some other fine Swiss watch and say "What a fucking idiot. Damn what a douche. He could of got a Timex." The real reason you don't like Apple is that it has become "cool" to not like them. But at least grow a pair and just state it simply, I don't like them because I have nothing else to do.[/citation]

Haha, I did that yesterday at someone wearing an Omega. I guess that means I can stick with my belief that Apple is ridiculous because of their prices, more commonly called 'The Apple Tax'.

$20 Armitron Sports Watch FTW.

[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]I wish people on this forum would grow a pair and state " I don't like Apple because I just don't like them" Don't give me this bullshit Apple tax. Tell me, do you look at a person wearing a Rolex, Omega, or some other fine Swiss watch and say "What a fucking idiot. Damn what a douche. He could of got a Timex." The real reason you don't like Apple is that it has become "cool" to not like them. But at least grow a pair and just state it simply, I don't like them because I have nothing else to do.[/citation]

No. I'm pretty sure everyone here has valid reasons for hating Apple; a few of them, hellwig said already (if you didn't read).
Here are some of mine:
1. Apple is a closed company. They control what their products can do and what they can't do. In essence, they limit technology.
2. Apple loves to invent their own proprietary means instead of using industry standards.
3. Apple charges ridiculous amounts of money for products that are no better than the competitions (in many cases, worse).
4. Apple touts themselves as the leader and innovator of the industry, yet all of their products are old technology.
5. Apple continues to mislead the public with their ad campaign.
6. Apple represents censorship. They tell you what to do with their products when, and how many options you have to do it with. The rest of the industry is free and gives you...choices!

You're comparing a computer to a piece of jewelry. That's not what a computer is - it's meant to do work (and have fun). Is somehow a Rolex better than a Timex just because it has 6x it's cost? Last time I checked, they both told time. The Timex probably has more features, too.

You may hold your Macbook Pro on the streetcorner with your Rolex on your wrist and think you're "cool", but I just think you're an idiot wasting money. Buying "pretty" things doesn't make you smart, or cool. I don't like Apple because I prefer to have a choice on what I do with my computer, and I prefer not to pay $2000 for it, either.

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Are you guys joking? Are you really that short sighted?

This is a kindle on steroids and while Apple charges more, their products are top notch. It's an iPod for print, with content designed for it (like iTunes LP) and interactive textbooks/newspapers etc. that could be great.

For $800, too much....

But of course, that is just ONE aspect of the tablet. Videos, internet, tablet drawing, iPhone apps, and large screen form iPhone style apps, etc. - there are a lot of uses here that could really encroach on a lot of other products. With Apple's soft keyboard it could be a serious competitor to netbooks with a data bundle discount (rumored via verizon).

This will take a chunk out of the tablet market. The attached drawing pads (rumored to connect with macbooks). Netbooks. The Kindle. Portable DVD players. GPS devices. This could be used from pizza delivery to UPS/FedEx.

All I'm saying is, this isn't an $800 kindle.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
its already known that several other companies where already thinking of a way to make colored digital ink. there's nothing new with that. if apple comes out with a good product good on them. i just want to see genuine innovation. if there going to make claims like they did for there mice, ipods and OS then im not going to be interested. i have nothing against apple products i think there well designed and a lot of thought goes into there aesthetic appeal the thing that gripes me the most is there PR campaing and while they continue to advertise the way they do i will continue to look down on them

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Reklatsa[/nom]What a bunch of retards you lot are. Not a brain between you. Perfect MS customers.[/citation]

SLAX Linux is my main OS. I just use Windows for gaming. Seeing as I couldn't use Mac OS for that even if I wanted to.

Suck on them apples.

No, etichi, you didn't understand me I guess.

1. I don't ever recall saying anything about Microsoft. I program on Linux, too. The levels of software built for Linux and Windows are far more than Apple's OSs - they're less open then Microsoft about what they build, especially in terms of hardware capability and compatibility.
2. Sure, but what about HDMI? Blu-ray? HDCP? SPDIF? Optical Audio? Expresscard? A simple memory card reader? You won't find any of them on Apple computers.
3. I said ridiculous amounts of money relative to competing products. This sets aside any single person's economic situation.
4. "Nice" is relative, now - I think Apple's products are the ugliest things. But that's not what I was talking about, anyway.
5. Propganda is not a reason to hate? Did you miss that lesson in grade school? I can think of 10 ad campaigns that are a great reason to hate - one that resulted in the loss of millions of lives.
6. You buy a song on iTunes, you can only use it on Apple products. You can only play it on iTunes (which really sucks..) You buy OS X, you can only use it on Apple products. You want a new battery? Nope, not serviceable. Have a problem and take it up in Apple's forum? The thread gets deleted. Only applications Apple approves you can download on your phone - and they can pull them off whenever they want.

Yeah, I got the analogy, and you got exactly what I was saying - paying more money for something that does the same thing as something that's cheaper is just dumb. Sure, there are some areas where this doesn't exactly apply due to human nature - but it's a computer, not a luxury item. You're not taking your Macbook down the street checking the time, are you?

I'm not saying people are stupid because they spend money on a Mac. I'm saying people are stupid for spending money on a Mac when there are better, cheaper options available. Why spend money where it isn't necessary? I don't care how much money you have - that doesn't invalidate the fact that wasting money is stupid.

G

My mac book pro has SPDIF (this is optical) in and out, express card slot and firewire 800. The brand new mac books have an SD card slot. It is very easy to hook up a USB card reader. No blu-ray yet, but sure it will be soon. Oh and my mac book can be re-sold for pretty much what I paid for it new. My Lenovo does not have optical audio or a memory card reader or firewire, extended battery on it only lasts about 2 hours and is worth nearly less than half what I paid last year and to buy windows 7 for it will cost me 6x the amount it did to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

eeide

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
One other point. I play Call of Duty, Red Alert 3 and Civ IV all natively on my macbook. There is also some great software you won't find on windows or linux. Pixelmator is GREAT alternative to Photoshop and only works on OS X it is around $50.

Other software I use on my mac includes:
Blender
Handbrake
Mono
Eclipse
Netbeans
MySQL
Parallels
and many more.

OS X is fully unix compliant and even comes with subversion. I like my mac book because it is thinner and lighter than most other laptops. It also runs windows and linux perfect so when I am at client sites (I am a contract developer) I have every OS and piece of software I would ever need. Why is this considered a waste of money or an Apple Tax?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Jeez the Apple whining on this site is so freaking old. Unless you drive to Walmart in a KIA and buy all off-brand products you are just a bunch of whiny hypocrites anyways. I seriously cannot understand why people feel the need to classify anyone who buys anything Apple as a mindless drone and/or berate them for their buying decisions. What the fuck business is it of yours if I want to buy an Apple Tablet? Seriously. It isn't your money. Fuck off. Go find me a decent tablet with a 10" form factor for $800. Go ahead. It doesn't exist.

If you ask me the only mindless idiots are the ones who refuse to branch out, at all, from the Windows platform. I've got a T61, a custom built desktop, and a Macbook Pro. Guess which one I enjoy using the most? I guess that makes me a mindless drone, because, well, I own multiple pieces of hardware and get the best of all the worlds. You guys with your custom built gaming PC's that bash Apple all day are total badasses and are so super smart. If only I was intelligent enough.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Jeez the Apple whining on this site is so freaking old. Unless you drive to Walmart in a KIA and buy all off-brand products you are just a bunch of whiny hypocrites anyways.[/citation]

Stop stalking me. Srsly. Kia Spectra 5 '06. Walmart every day... To catch the BUS!

... So twice now, people have validated my personal belief that Apple is too expensive. I'm not saying it goes for other people, but for my own.

... Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.