Apple to Release Lion on USB in August

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

a finer control over your machine, where everything is exposed to the user, even if it's not clear, so that a lot of problems might get resolved by yourself instead of having to reformat at the first sign of trouble because noone advises you to NOT format the drive with case-sensitive file system because many programs might not run correctly or run at all.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]sireangeluss[/nom]a finer control over your machine, where everything is exposed to the user, even if it's not clear, so that a lot of problems might get resolved by yourself instead of having to reformat at the first sign of trouble because noone advises you to NOT format the drive with case-sensitive file system because many programs might not run correctly or run at all.[/citation]

Yeah. Okay.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
It's a shame OSX isn't free, it'd be a great way to promote the platform. The obsession for exclusiveness on their own hardware is mind numbing. Sorry to say Mac, but my $1,500 desktop has a lot more power than your desktop. I configured a Mac Pro to approximately the same specs (actually still slower) for $3,700. Not bad, considering my computer is over a year old.

I only have 2 personal disputes against Macintosh.
1: Insane profit margins on all products.
2: Consumer brainwashing.

I've asked friends on why they want a Mac, and the only answer they can ever give me is "They're better". I'll take a 18.4" Clevo or a home built desktop with a Android phone for portability any day.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]It should cost...like...$30.[/citation]
I don't know about you, but in the last 15 years, I've spent thousands of hours using Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7. I can't say the same for you, but I've certainly gotten my moneys worth. It's easy to pay hundreds of dollars for silly programs, but I only paid $120 for Win7.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]It's a shame OSX isn't free, it'd be a great way to promote the platform. The obsession for exclusiveness on their own hardware is mind numbing. Sorry to say Mac, but my $1,500 desktop has a lot more power than your desktop. I configured a Mac Pro to approximately the same specs (actually still slower) for $3,700. Not bad, considering my computer is over a year old.I only have 2 personal disputes against Macintosh.1: Insane profit margins on all products.2: Consumer brainwashing.I've asked friends on why they want a Mac, and the only answer they can ever give me is "They're better". I'll take a 18.4" Clevo or a home built desktop with a Android phone for portability any day.I don't know about you, but in the last 15 years, I've spent thousands of hours using Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista and 7. I can't say the same for you, but I've certainly gotten my moneys worth. It's easy to pay hundreds of dollars for silly programs, but I only paid $120 for Win7.[/citation]
Does you PC comes with a dual socket mobo, an intel xeon processor and eec memory?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Does you PC comes with a dual socket mobo, an intel xeon processor and eec memory?[/citation]

...and an industrial grade-aluminum enclosure (to say the least), an 1100 watt PSU, and super, super, super clean wiring (really, non-existent wiring (except for the GPU power). If you find a PC with these, and the aforementioned features, pre-built, chances are you'll pay a good premium for it.

The thing that's hard for many THG wintel-promoting enthusiasts to wrap their brains around is that with Apple you are paying a premium for design. How much is design worth? Well to a lot of people its worth quite a lot. ...and we can't argue that Apple is making money hand-over-fist and I can't believe that everyone that buys an Apple product is an ignorant dumb-@$$, because they are doing something that allows them to make the money necessary to purchase these products. See, most Wintel PC manufacturers don't offer a design that they can charge a premium for...their designs are me-too offerings. The good thing about that is that you're not paying for their design, only for the hardware, and the more typical markup.

It comes down to what's important to the average consumer. Design does seem to be important. There are plenty of things people pay extra for because of their brand/design: Cole Haan, Gucci, Movado, Maybach, Louis Vuitton, Crocket & Jones, Apple, Breguet, just to name a few.

Apple is the only (or at least one of the only) large PC manufacturer that charges a premium for its design. Its the only one that can. Dell tried with the Adamo...didn't work out too well. ...and of course this is distasteful to the do-it-yourself general enthusiast crowd at THG. ...who can build a nice, even attractive, machine at a fraction of the cost.

I know many wintel-toting enthusiasts don't like OS X. Okay, to each their own. As someone who's certified in Windows, I can say I love OS X. I get to come home to machines that are not only fast and functional, but that are really fun just to use. Its weird. MS has worked hard to capture that and with Windows 7 they're as close as they've ever been because Windows 7 is, indeed, awesome...but, to me, not more so than OS X. Not better, just different.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]I wonder why windows is so damn expensive![/citation]
Full retail versions are more expensiove for MS in real terms but only a 10% margin.
Microsoft - 3 OS's in 10 years, total cost $300.
Apple - In the same period released 8 versions of OSX, total cost $272.

Microsoft also has offers for OEM versions, bascially free if pre-installed, cheap student editions, etc.
Apple NEVER has a sale.

I got my copy of Windows 7 for £30 ($45) and XP and Vista I got for £60 ($90) each, so in 10 years I spent $135 and stayed up to date with every edition, spent half what a typical Apple user did and each service pack was free. Millions of other people got the same deals too.

fellskrazykayaker

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Does you PC comes with a dual socket mobo, an intel xeon processor and eec memory?[/citation]

I think it's clear that Travis Beane doesn't understand that the Mac Pro fits into the workstation class system category and not the average desktop category. Like you've said, it has dual sockets, Xeon CPUs, and ECC memory. Price it against a Dell Precision or HP Z800 series workstation and you'll find the Mac Pro is quite comparable.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]Maybe I'm just a geek, but I'd rather build my own, whether it's a desktop or workstation.[/citation]

Well, by some definitions that makes you a..."geek", as you call it.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]What's wrong with using a DVD for those that don't want to download it?[/citation]

LOL an apple server, now that's laughable

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]LOL an apple server, now that's laughable[/citation]

You Wintel/Linux-only guys are funny. Have you actually seen or used an Apple OS X server? Didn't think so, 'cause if you had you'd be amazed that that kind of power and is of use could be married. No, no....we have to do it the complicated Windows Server 2008 way. Hey, I'm not complaining...keeps me very very well paid. :)

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]You Wintel/Linux-only guys are funny. Have you actually seen or used an Apple OS X server? Didn't think so, 'cause if you had you'd be amazed that that kind of power and is of use could be married. No, no....we have to do it the complicated Windows Server 2008 way. Hey, I'm not complaining...keeps me very very well paid.[/citation]
Windows is the easiest to use server OS on the planet. It's much more stable and secure than Mac OS X Server. It's just as easy to get malware on a hardened Mac OS X Server OS as it is on a hardened Windows Server 2008 OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.