Apple Turns Back on Windows XP for iCloud

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]I have about 2 legit copies of windows Vista and 2 legit Copies of Windows 7. I still have XP on one of my older machines not because of cost because of compatibility. Its and old $5000 pentium 4 laptop and it can only take one gig of ram. And only linux runs better than XP w 1 gig.[/citation]

older machines and xp = ok, because there designed for one another, dont get me wrong xp is great for legacy stuff

what i hate is mixing brand new things with xp - iv seen i7's with xp and 2gb of ram - WTF

raurelian

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i got windows 7 for 30$, i hate it. but its not my computer, and i can put xp on my own, so all good. i go into why i hate 7 every time i say it, and apparently no one understands why i hate every aspect of 7's ui... apparently im alone on that.[/citation]

Yep, you are alone in that ;)

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Job is getting old and don't remember more then 5 min. at a time any more. Anyways wasn't his iCloud look like all other press conference he has. Let just see Apple don't care for us that love computers. Yes I'm an Apple hater, but I have hated them since Apple 2. LoL At least Steve is fun to watch.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]I beg to differ, my old grandma even managed to get her old xp installation upgraded to win7 herself and she is 82 years old! If she can do it so can anyone else. The company i work at are in the progress to mitigate from the old xp to win7 and its progressing rapidly and without any notable issues so far, if the IT staff know 1/2 their jobb there should not be any major issues.[/citation]
...your grandma is the best that has ever lived...and the only one to ever succeed with font size 60px spoon-fed directions for upgrading Windows.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Why would i want to run apple software on a windows pc anyway? I am already stuck with quicktime codecs. And i think many would rather not run windows media player and "exploder" on a apple as well.

I am running winxp pro still. I hate the stupid microsoft "upgrades" and the 5 or so different versions of win7 where the cheaper ones have features stripped from them. I bought a upgrade before and never again. I had win3.11 32s, bought win98 upgrade. When you installed it, it asked for all 7 dos disks, then all 13 or so windows floppys, took like 1 hour till you even started installing win98 upgrade. Have a disk with a error on it and you had to start all over again after running scandisk on that floppy.
If microsoft just sold the full version of windows7 with both the 32 bit and 64 bit as options during the install, and it was priced reasonably like $80, many would try it out. I don't want to spend $200 for each computer to spend on win7 so i am stuck with winxp. I don't want the stripped down "home" basic version.

I don't feel sorry for microsoft when they whine that many are still using winxp.

Then in 2 years win7 will be given a "end of service life notice" when win8 is out.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Made me think!
The only way the cloud will lift off, is if they offer a server based windows version, so that games and programs can be ran off the cloud running windows xp, 98, 95, NT or even 3.1!

need4speeds

Distinguished
Wouldn't that be some kinda hell? win3.11, then win95 upgrade, then win95 os2r updates, then win98 upgrade, then win98se updates, then winme upgrade, win xp upgrade then sp1, sp2 sp3 updates, then vista upgrade, then win7 upgrade.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Windows XP is a dead system. Even M$ wants it to die, that's why they are cutting off support on July 12, 2010. No more updates via windows update for Windows XP. And Vista is going the way of the cave man too, it's support ends July 12, 2011. Next month no more security updates for Windows Vista.[/citation]
Microsoft wants it to die because of financial interests. They always want to bring something new, something fresh so you'll fork over some cash their way. They're a business.
[citation][nom]need4speeds[/nom]Wouldn't that be some kinda hell? win3.11, then win95 upgrade, then win95 os2r updates, then win98 upgrade, then win98se updates, then winme upgrade, win xp upgrade then sp1, sp2 sp3 updates, then vista upgrade, then win7 upgrade.[/citation]
You forgot Windows 2000 (which also had like 4 service packs).

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]...your grandma is the best that has ever lived...and the only one to ever succeed with font size 60px spoon-fed directions for upgrading Windows.[/citation]

Yeah, it would seem its hard to insert a DVD and click on a icon for some people...

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]...your grandma is the best that has ever lived...and the only one to ever succeed with font size 60px spoon-fed directions for upgrading Windows.[/citation]

Why you gotta go hatin on grandma for just cuz she knows as much as you do?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]I'm sorry, but you have to have a certain version of OSX to upgrade to the new version which means a load of people are out of luck.. typical Apple way of ensuring that older stuff gets stuffed.[/citation]
Upgrading any Intel Mac to 10.6 Snow leopard is $29
From there u can upgrade to 10.7 Lion for another $29.
That's still $62 cheaper than the cheapest Windows 7 upgrade license AND u are allowed to install Lion on all your personal Macs.
A Windows 7 family pack is $149.99

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Windows XP is still alive and the only thing killing it is the end of its support by Microsoft and the abundance of drivers for new hardware, so I wonder how long will it be on the top.

G

Upgrading any Intel Mac to 10.6 Snow leopard is $29
From there u can upgrade to 10.7 Lion for another $29.
That's still $62 cheaper than the cheapest Windows 7 upgrade license AND u are allowed to install Lion on all your personal Macs.
A Windows 7 family pack is $149.99

And can you tell me how much that intel mac costs?

G

Macs are like light sabres: "A more elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

G

XP is 10 years old... Do you see Apple supporting any of their 10 year old operating systems?

G

XP is still the best MS operating system, Vista and 7 does not impress me also very annoying to use

G

It is possible to get iCloud to work and sync in Outlook with Windows XP (some of us are stuck with XP at work still!).

You can easily set up your iCloud / me.com email address as an IMAP email. This gives access to your Mail Inbox, custom folders and Notes (though doesn't access the iCloud Sent, Archive, Drafts, Just, Trash folders as Outlook creates it's own version of these).

Settings for this are:

Username, if your email is xxxx@me.com, it will be xxxx.

Incoming Server: imap.mail.me.com
Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.me.com

If these servers don't work for you, can also try:

Incoming Server: p99-imap.mail.me.com
Outgoing Server: p99-smtp.mail.me.com

Or

Incoming Server: p03-imap.mail.me.com
Outgoing Server: p03-smtp.mail.me.com

For IMAP Port :"993", encryption choose SSL
For SMTP Port : "587" encryption chose Auto or TSL

On "Outgoing Server" tab
Check box "... (SMTP) requires authentication" leave "Use same settings..."

There's also a simple hack I found to get the iCloud Control Panel for Windows to work on XP, and I have got this running fine on XP and Outlook 2010 (for the moment anyway). This gives me synced access to Contacts, Calenders, Reminders and Bookmarks:

Requirements:
iTunes 5.10
Unpacking program e.g. 7-Zip or WinRar
Orca MSI editor (http://www.technipages.com/download-orca-msi-editor.html)

The iCloud setup for Windows XP:

1. Download iCloud Control Panel for Windows. (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455)
2. Open iCloudSetup.exe with WinRar or 7-Zip and extract.
3. Open the iCloud.msi or iCloud64.msi (for 64bit systems) with Orca.
4. In the left table select LaunchCondition. Then change in the right table VersionNT> = 600 to VersionNT> = 200 and Save.
5. Run modified iCloud.msi and install.
6. Run iCloud from Control Panel and set up as you want.

And you're done.

For info I originally found this hack here: http://f4os.com/icloud-control-panel-about-detours-on-windows-xp-also/

G

Actually all you have to do is bookmark Icloud to your tool bar on your windows explorer or firefox...and it works fine

G

After years of debate, I finally bought an iPad today. I run my business on Windows and had been unsure of how useful it would be. I learned that access to my PC is easy via iCloud. I have now discovered that my Windows XP system is not accepted.

Rather than guess at Apple's rationale in this choice, I will simply say that it was a foolish one. The greatest barrier between the Microsoft world and Apple has been the ability to transfer or access data. -Mac or PC? The iPad is the most compelling product in generations. Why would they want to make it more difficult to bridge the gap? Foolish... and potentially off-putting. -Dissapointed Entrepeneur

Status
Not open for further replies.