Apple Unveils New MacBook, Offers Intel Core M, USB Type-C

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupe

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
It is think, but I worry about these Core-M processors. They are pretty much tablet class CPUs. We have seen that from the new Yoga Pro.

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I personally think the Macbook Air was eating into Macbook Pro market and Apple wanted to push it aside into a bit more niche market.

The only thing it needed upgraded was the display. Now its losing 5 precious ports (MagSafe power port, 2 standard USB ports, Thunderbolt/Display Port and SD card slot) just to become 4mm thinner. Not going to save a huge amount of space, it was quite thin anyway, not a good trade-off at all.

That C is also the only port on the computer. No video out, no SD card slot, no Ethernet, nothing else. If you want to use it for multiple things at once, you'll have to pay extra for the adapters which run $80. You have to pay $20 just to be able to use current USB devices. Typical Apple.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8177087/macbook-port-adapter-accessory

True. But to counter the lack of ports Apple made the ultrabook ultra thin and light. So it's up to the user if they either want a macbook (like the pro) with a lot of connectivity or if they want ultra portability instead. There are different laptops for different users.

Quite true on different laptops for different users, but I don't consider "thinness" to be a counter for lack of basic features. Yes, size and thinness will limit what kind of hardware you can put in, but there's no reason they couldn't keep these same dimensions and add in one normal size USB3 port to at least give it some current and backward compatibility without people shelling out additional money. It's like removing the optical drive from the iMac just to make it 2mm thinner. You're giving up much more than you're gaining.

2304 x 1440 is a 16:10 ratio. I do agree with Apple on that as I don't like working on 16:9 screens.

Yeah, ill have to agree that it's strange that there is literally only one connection on the macbook, even just two would make it way better.

Yep. If the main draw for this is how small and light it is, well, it loses some of that "ultra portability" when you have to pack adapters and USB hubs with it to use more than one USB peripheral at a time.

Gaidax

Distinguished
It's decent for what it is meant for, I'd love to get one for work. Portability is amazing and that CPU should be enough for all the office tasks. It also looks awesome.

Of course don't see it used for much besides the above, definitely won't be gaming on this one.

True, then again I think this is just for the causal user since the Core M CPU won't do that much. And the casual user rarely uses anything more than a mouse.

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
You have SO many choices now. You can choose to charge the laptop OR you can put a flashdrive in (with an adaptor) OR connect to a projector OR connect a USB mouse. The choices are completely FINITE. You can choose 1. How many will you choose??? Oh, that's right, one. This is a terrible design. The specs on this thing seem like an overpriced chromebook.

Why would you buy this over the macbook air?

I'm pretty disappointed that Apple still doesn't have a touch screen computer. I'm pretty dependent on a touch screen now, and always sad that my work computer doesn't have one (it's a macbook pro).

Darth_Kaar

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I think Apple obstained the oppositive effect with this one. Yes, the new Macbook is even smaller than my Macbook Air but it's mobility will be limited because of all connectors neccessary to use older peripherals.

MyDocuments

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Could it be squarely aimed at journalists, sales people, executives who require the ultra-portability; like working on their laps or while commuting in confined spaces, and none of the expandability that as others have already mentioned would require a plethora of add-on port-expanders and the like?
I guess the market research done by Apple in order to arrive at this model's features and specifications would suggest so.

Nuckles_56

Admirable

Fair enough that it has a 16:10 ratio, but then why not go with the far more standard 2560*1600 then and get the same format?

precursors

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
Well, sure only 1 port seems pretty insufficient (at least for the moment), but wireless connectivity is something Intel is pioneering, not Apple. It seems to me Apple has created a design to push the industry towards what Intel already envisions: wireless display, keyboard, mouse, network, external storage etc connection, even wireless charging.

The only problem I would personally have with this one would be not having an Ethernet port or at least a USB-C to Ethernet adapter (yet) as I wouldn't be able to use this thing at work. But having to plug Ethernet to whatever portable device I bring to work already feels like a pain. It's not that wireless networks are less secure then wired ones, it's just that whoever can setup a wired network becomes an IT guy nowadays and companies are not knowledgeable enough to invest in a full wireless setup, or get rid of all the cabling they paid for in the last 30 years. It does bug me a little to bring a fully portable computer to work and plug in many cables already (owned an Asus ultrabook with dongles/adapters). I personally never owned any Apple computer but have to admit I am thankful Apple exists and does push the design limits. I don't mind trying one of their designs in the future.

As for the people expecting USB-C type adapters & accessories to be super expensive: sure the ones Apple will sell will be horribly expensive, however let's face it: USB-C is not patented by Apple like lightning or thunderbolt ports so you can't get some silly error message for plugging in a third party adapter in there. I do expect many USB-C type accessories coming out in the near future from third parties.

Also the processor...I would wait for the next version of this "MacBook" but hey, I am not in urgent need of an ultraportable for the moment.

TLDR; ahead of it's time in design (and perhaps little too much ahead in usability), behind in power

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
?very disappointed at this product . no i/o ports means a dead machine.

Apple needs to learn from Sony ,

They made Sony Vaio Pro 13 TWO YEARS AGO and it had

2x USB3 , HDMI , SD Card reader , NFC , 8 Hours life , 13.3 inch !!!

and all this 940 grams ONLY !

Status
Not open for further replies.