Apple: Win Tabs 'Heavy,' Android Tabs 'Bizarre'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
He also said they are “. . . they require a keyboard or a stylus as an input device.”

Yup, because when it comes to jotting down notes in a meeting we all know it is far more intuitive to tap or swipe at a plane then to hold a cylindrical object and move your hand to produce input. I mean, what kind of idiot would think that handwriting is intuitive? Its not like its taught in school or something. Also, when in class, that keyboard is far more effective when writing molecular structures, vector notation, matrices, and diagrams of cells (or any other diagram for that matter) - the ability to draw is useless.

In other words, Apple wants you to have two choices: type because your handwriting would be illegible (and they wouldn't want to embarrass themselves in figuring out ink->text like Microsoft has done over Tablet XP->Vista->Win7), and if you want to draw you are probably only as good as a little kid and should stick to finger painting.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Apple is good at paving the way for better products. Apple does the minimum, and then someone comes along with a feature rich alternative. I'm looking forward to, preferably, a Windows tablet but Android would also work.

And it sound like from the story, he is asking Apple users what they would want. Apple users are like VW owners. They LOVE their cars no matter what anyone says (even if they are junk). So that is not the right audience to get an opinion from.

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
wow lol is all i can say, i wonder if these people actually listen to what they say afterwards, they seriously cant write thier own speaches cuase that would be wierd, apple has not created a market they took a dead market and helped other people make money from it, seriously in my opinion i used the ipad at a demo and really did not like it, personal preference, windows 7 is for me always will be for me and I can play my games on my wiondows 7 PC, oh and apple i spent $1700 on 2 video cards wouldn't you love that, gamers spend ALOT of money on hardware apple!

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Doesn't iOS run on the iPhone and the iPad???

“And so basically you wind up with kind of a scaled-up Smartphone, which is a bizarre product, in our view,”
Agreed, that's why the iPad is a bizarre product!
Windows tablets are the only ones that are not as bizarre imo...

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
ecause they run an OS built for smartphones.
marketing.
The new Android for tablets is just around the corners, and I tried a wtablet and it it's not bad at all. they are actually pretty quick but the battery sucks, at just about 3 hours.

And about weight. I LIKE FEELING TEH TABLET IN MY HANDS. I don't mind feeling the weight in my hand

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
TBH i want a tablet with pen input device. So much easier to take notes on it than typing on a netbook or a touch screen. Imagine a tablet fast enough to handle cad drawings or 3D graphics work.

mick_09

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
‘“And so basically you wind up with kind of a scaled-up Smartphone, which is a bizarre product, in our view,” he said.’
Kind of EXACTLY like the ipad?!

And I guess the iPad is perfect? The market needs multiple choices. For some there will be large tablets and for others a small tablet. Some think the Droid X is clunky and heavy but some like the large screen. I wouldn't mind it due to my large hands but like my Ally for the real keyboard.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Sure the Android tablets are scaled-up smartphones, but in all honesty an iPad is pretty much the same...[/citation]

What's the difference between the iPad and the iPhone? One of them can't make phone calls, and the other is a tablet!

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
[citation][nom]Janet55[/nom]Well, I totally believe there is no need for iPad to scared of the competitors, it's Apple creates a tablet market, and now all are after it!now as the analytics read iPad has a 87% marketshare, I believe the tablet market might be more competitive, but, in any case, iPad will dominate in 2011. Do hope the iPad 2 will be spectacular. I think Apple will be dominant for at least two years and probably far longer. We could learn much more about iPad's competitiveness, here is a little twinkling: http://www.ifunia.com/ipad-column/index.html[/citation]

You see, that's where you are wrong. Ya, no specific part, just the entire thing.

Apple thought it had control of the smartphone market, but wait, look who came out of the blue with a brand new OS, not ported from a mobile device, Google! And now take a look who is selling more smartphones daily. Phones with Android installed! I will agree with you in that the iPad may have the market for 2 years, but I think that is tops.

To tell you the truth, once more Win Tabs come out, along with Honeycomb, the iPad won't have long to hold the market. I mean, if they are classifying the market as tablets similar to the iPad, after only a year the iPad has slipped 13%, because it pretty much had the market upon release. And did you take a look at anything from CES? We now have tablets that actually operate as full computers, versus the watered down piece of crap the iOS is. To be honest, I would go for one of the new Asus Eee slates, and Remote Connect to my desktop, and voila! I have a 4.0 GHz hyper threaded quad core right there. And if I didn't have the internet available at the moment, I would have a dual core, hyper threaded processor in my machine. And it weighs a whopping 2.6 lbs. Heavy? I think not. Powerful? A lot more than the iPad, with the functionality and options of Windows 7. iPads don't have long...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

yes, but if your so stuck in the dark age and cant see the advantages of tablet vs pen and paper then take your sarcasm and go play with the traffic.
Ill even list a view
1) less bag space since "laptop" and paper combined
2) less likely to loose notes in a pile of paper somewhere. File management on computers is far easier aand if I want something i can type a search rather than leafing through thousands of sheets of paper
3) Our lecture notes for some subjects go live an hour before the lecture. due to travelling it is not always possible for me to lug around a printer to print them off. At least with them on a tablet I could write all over them. Typing isn't practical either due to the speed and extra content that is added during lectures.
4) ever tried carrying multiple pens and pencils and sketching on a bus? I enjoy using a graphics tablet on my main PC which involves anything I do on paper either being scanned or redrawn. How much easier would it be just to copy a file across? In fact how much easier would it be to continue a project on the go and render when you get home?

Next time try actually think before you try to be a sarcastic little douch. Your comment was neither funny nor helpful and just showed you up for the pre pubescent monkey you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.