Apple's 17-inch iMac at $899 is Already Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
they have to lower their prices, at some point it will hurt their sales. oh, wait, that's already been the case, maybe it explains why they are only 10% of the pcs sold... and for those who think that an apple is not a pc, personal computer, what's the difference, the os, since the rest is basically the same...

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Yes, this whole PC vs. Mac thing has to stop. THEY ARE BOTH PERSONAL COMPUTERS. The argument will always be there between Windows computers (Dell, Acer, HP, etc) vs Apple. But they are all personal computers!

Roffey123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
...no one's mentioned PC vs Mac except you guys... *quizzical face*

If the CPU is any good (a decent Wolfdale CPU would be nice) and the RAM amount is reasonable, then I'd consider it as a everyday machine...as long as it doesn't go all Steve Jobs on me and offer me things I don't need.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Roffey123[/nom]...no one's mentioned PC vs Mac except you guys... *quizzical face*If the CPU is any good (a decent Wolfdale CPU would be nice) and the RAM amount is reasonable, then I'd consider it as a everyday machine...as long as it doesn't go all Steve Jobs on me and offer me things I don't need.[/citation]
We were just making a general comment. Yes it is off topic a little, but it does need to stop ;)

After Apple started using Intel chips i never had a reason besides looks to get an apple computer. Especially sense buying an apple these days means you buy a computer with a special OS that looks good and upgrading it is very limited for say $100-200 more than if you were to buy a PC with windows on it that would have the same or better hardware in it

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
That makes me happy. I wouldn't ever buy a mac but at least people that do won't have to pay a arm leg and half of their head for bad hardware and good os.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]lire210[/nom]That makes me happy. I wouldn't ever buy a mac but at least people that do won't have to pay a arm leg and half of their head for bad hardware and good os.[/citation]

I wouldn't call their hardware bad, just overpriced, and sometimes I scratch my head at the configs they use.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]Yes, this whole PC vs. Mac thing has to stop. THEY ARE BOTH PERSONAL COMPUTERS. The argument will always be there between Windows computers (Dell, Acer, HP, etc) vs Apple. But they are all personal computers![/citation]
Actually, there is even more irony in calling computers running Windows "PCs". Because there are more "PCs" being used for business than there are Macs being used for anything.

[citation][nom]Tedders[/nom]We were just making a general comment. Yes it is off topic a little, but it does need to stop[/citation]
The original comment that sparked it was on topic, but I suppose that's how things get off topic.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Unless it comes with a Core i7 and at least a GTX 260, no.[/citation]
Hmm, where do I start?

This is a BUDGET iMac. High end hardware has no place in a budget unit.
17 INCH SCREEN. Why would you need an i7 and GTX260 with that size of screen?
MINIMAL GAMING. Everyone knows there are barely any games for Macintosh, let alone demanding ones.
LAPTOP HARDWARE. The iMac uses laptop hardware. No way to get an i7 and GTX in there..
HEAT. Can you imagine the heat problems a GTX260 and i7 crammed into that space would cause?

sigh.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
A mac would be great if they made a form factor I can upgrade and expand including graphics without spending $2000 on a liquid cooled xenon BTX dual gigabit tower

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]Hmm, where do I start?This is a BUDGET iMac. High end hardware has no place in a budget unit.[/citation]
The question posed didn't mention anything about it being budget. And even if it did, the GTX 260 and i7 920 would be budget conscious choices for something on the higher end.

[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]17 INCH SCREEN. Why would you need an i7 and GTX260 with that size of screen?[/citation]
Working with 720p content creation? That setup could max out all the settings of just about any modern game at 1440x900

[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]MINIMAL GAMING. Everyone knows there are barely any games for Macintosh, let alone demanding ones.[/citation]
Who says I have to use OSX?

[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]LAPTOP HARDWARE. The iMac uses laptop hardware. No way to get an i7 and GTX in there..[/citation]
Doesn't have to be one of those crappy all in one units.

[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]HEAT. Can you imagine the heat problems a GTX260 and i7 crammed into that space would cause?[/citation]
Is that a joke?

[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]sigh.[/citation]
You took me a bit to seriously. It was my way of saying "Not with the crappy hardware they attempt to stuff onto the back of a monitor". I don't care about the logistics of it, because it's never going to happen.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Kingssman[/nom]A mac would be great if they made a form factor I can upgrade and expand including graphics without spending $2000 on a liquid cooled xenon BTX dual gigabit tower[/citation]

Well, read the post just on top of yours, Apple is using laptop hardware in their desktop lines, the only part that isn't laptop form factor is the hard drive. So if you compare Mac desktops to PC desktops you will of course say it is overpriced. But if you compare the PC laptops with Mac Desktops (and do not take in account portability and hard drive space) you can compare them very well.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
the imac format has always irked me, until I really got looking at. sold off my old massive computer desk last year when my desktop MB died (6 years old never bothered replacing) and went full laptop. I still have the 20" flat panel, didn't use it much since my 17" laptop worked just fine. I saw a real cheap, real small desk at the salvation army, not quite a computer desk but just big enough to fit my laptop and monitor on the side with perhaps a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I then got thinking. Since this desk is not designed to hold a tower, nor do i want to fuss with one, the iMac would fit great on this desk due to it's small footprint. The idea of having a desktop to serve as a base station to offload all my stuff always appealed but i hated the specs on the mini which to me would be no more than a NAS.

The imac had just a small enough umpf to make it a viable and working desktop that took up a small space as a laptop.

ugg but i still want something for gaming

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]they have to lower their prices, at some point it will hurt their sales. oh, wait, that's already been the case, maybe it explains why they are only 10% of the pcs sold... and for those who think that an apple is not a pc, personal computer, what's the difference, the os, since the rest is basically the same...[/citation]
No it doesn't hurt their sales. They just have a different business model than other PC builders. They are not interested in selling many units with low margins to make a profit, instead they want to sell fewer units with bigger margins to make the same profit and in that strategy they are VERY successful.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
For the same price you could get a 17" laptop...why get the imac? Its not like you can notably upgrade either option and you'll have to replace them when they are too obsolete...might as well get some portability out of it. My first thoughts off the top of my head. /shrug

I just hate the idea of buying a nice flat panel and throwing it away because the computer guts inside it are dated and can't be replaced. Ditto to the larger Imacs. I'd rather get a mini and a good monitor that I can keep using.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
While not offered at retail, Apple still makes a 17-inch polycarbonate iMac for K12 and Higher Education priced at exactly $899.

I'm an elementary school computer teacher, and there is no way I could have ever gotten the board to approve 20 $899 computers, but I was able to get dell vostro slim towers with 19 widescreen monitors, e2160 cpu's, and 1 gig of ram for like 300 bucks a pop.

These are more than enough to power a whole lab worth of students doing typing programs, exel, word, internet access and reading/math programs. These things could easily last a few years in an environment like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.