Apple's A6 iPhone 5 SoC Integrates Triple-Core GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
The only thing I like about apple's iOS products is that they include some of the fastest GPUs available.
Meanwhile, android manufacturers continue to use those crappy tegra chips and snapdragons.

I got a nexus 7 and the tegra 3 performance is not as good as it was marketed to be.
My next android device will not have anything slower than the mali400 in the exynos quad SoC.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
In what world does a 3 core GPU at 250mhz better then 12 500mhz stream processors? The main problem with android devices is the android OS. The hardware is top notch, but poorly used by the OS. Qualcom's SnapDragons have better gpu power behind them then Tegra.

halcyon

Splendid
While I know the iPhone 5 has slick hardware I'm really liking the performance and flexibility and screen of the SGS3. I wish it used aluminium instead of plastic but its still great kit. As beautiful as the iPhone's screen is the SGS3's is sweet too.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]The only thing I like about apple's iOS products is that they include some of the fastest GPUs available.Meanwhile, android manufacturers continue to use those crappy tegra chips and snapdragons.I got a nexus 7 and the tegra 3 performance is not as good as it was marketed to be.My next android device will not have anything slower than the mali400 in the exynos quad SoC.[/citation]
That's because Tegra was/is an over-hyped over-marketed platform. It's okay, but what it has in core-count it lacks in deployment (or rather, it lacks in the ability to do what you'd expect from the raw specs and hype from it).

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
It's been proved before that it's not A15 nor A9, but a custom design by Apple which has a lower power consumption than the A15.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]In what world does a 3 core GPU at 250mhz better then 12 500mhz stream processors? The main problem with android devices is the android OS. The hardware is top notch, but poorly used by the OS. Qualcom's SnapDragons have better gpu power behind them then Tegra.[/citation]
To be fair, core count and core speed don't matter--just like in desktop graphics cards. But I agree spot-on, it's the poor implementation of a hardware platform that ruins it.

The thing I love about android is also the thing I hate--its openness of hardware platforms/diversity. Unless you're using one of the few big handset makers (and as such, pay the premium for the device), you're mostly SOL when it comes to your device playing well with others...

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Dear Wolfgang Gruener

I am so happy your ok.

I saw Jane McEntegart doing Apple articles and thought you mite be Ill.

Luv your take on Apple articles...they always make me laugh.

Soiled :)

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
A 3 core gpu by iCrap loads a low resolution image much faster. Yet Apple is about a high resolution retina display manufactured by Samsung and others years earlier. Honestly how is this an improvement? You can't your cookie and eat it to iCrap!

Apple get a hold on reality

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
The A6 really is an impressive SoC; top of the pile CPU performance, GPU performance leagues above all other non-Apple chips except for the APQ8064, huge theoretical memory bandwidth and easily the most efficient utilization, while still consuming no more power than the upper mid-range chips from their competitors. I'm not a fan of iOS, too simplified/locked-down/anticompetitive and the skeuomorphism is a turn-off, but otherwise the iPhone 5 sure is nice and it is in no small part thanks to the A6.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I wish it used aluminium instead of plastic but its still great kit

I wish no aluminum in my phone, unless it serves a useful purpose. Leave aluminium for coke cans. Give me a plastic that will not dent or chip when dropped... iCrap uses aluminum to entice its moronic herd of zombies who think not of a material and its functions.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]teh_chem[/nom]To be fair, core count and core speed don't matter--just like in desktop graphics cards. But I agree spot-on, it's the poor implementation of a hardware platform that ruins it.The thing I love about android is also the thing I hate--its openness of hardware platforms/diversity. Unless you're using one of the few big handset makers (and as such, pay the premium for the device), you're mostly SOL when it comes to your device playing well with others...[/citation]
lol you are too funny, if you really think that google's OS is all that open, you might want to think again....

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]In what world does a 3 core GPU at 250mhz better then 12 500mhz stream processors?[/citation]

IPC, my friend, IPC. Look it up. Even Engadget's tests yielded benchmark results. The iPhone 5 bested the Galaxy S3 by 50% in the SunSpider bench. Stream processors are not cores, and MHz isn't the sole determination of speed. Learn these lessons well, the industry learned the hard way.

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I wish no aluminum in my phone, unless it serves a useful purpose. Leave aluminium for coke cans. Give me a plastic that will not dent or chip when dropped... iCrap uses aluminum to entice its moronic herd of zombies who think not of a material and its functions.[/citation]

The old iPhone 4S case is almost as heavy as the entire iPhone 5. That's what Aluminium can do for a case. And it is 100% recyclable.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]darkchazz[/nom]The only thing I like about apple's iOS products is that they include some of the fastest GPUs available.Meanwhile, android manufacturers continue to use those crappy tegra chips and snapdragons.I got a nexus 7 and the tegra 3 performance is not as good as it was marketed to be.My next android device will not have anything slower than the mali400 in the exynos quad SoC.[/citation]
google's OS code is as about as good as the code that AMD has for their graphics hardware, lol....sad but true...maybe all the raw power is wasted because of all the crap-ware running in the background...google really needs to demand that the wireless carries to stop installing all the useless apps...

baconeater

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]A 3 core gpu by iCrap loads a low resolution image much faster. Yet Apple is about a high resolution retina display manufactured by Samsung and others years earlier. Honestly how is this an improvement? You can't your cookie and eat it to iCrap!Apple get a hold on reality[/citation]

what? I have no clue what you are talking about. But if you don't think it's an improvement, then just look up the benchmarks!! Dont't take my word for it, just look it up. iPhone 5 is fast

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol you are too funny, if you really think that google's OS is all that open, you might want to think again....[/citation]
Reading comprehension fail, I never said that google's OS is open, only the hardware platforms (which is the problem). It's old news that google's "open" Android OS isn't freely open (only within google's set of usage rules).

jblack

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]lol you are too funny, if you really think that iOS is all that open, you might want to think again....[/citation]

There. Fixed that for you.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]The main problem with android devices is the android OS. The hardware is top notch, but poorly used by the OS.[/citation]
What are you talking about?! As for specs, you can't just compare Mhz and streams. You need to take account a lot of other things. Memory bandwidth, the bus, the actual architecture etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.