Apple's Giving its Customers a New Kind of Screw

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Insane. If *my* device had Phillips screws, but after being repaired had something else, you can bet I'd be pissed.
But really, Apple products already have dealbreakers (e.g. non user-replaceable batteries), so this does not make me any less likely to buy one.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
A flat head will strip it.

This is not hard to figure out. A little clay, some resin make a mode.
Not to hard.
But it sure will make a case to see what is under.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Apple is seeming more and more like China. No wonder they like doing business there.

Anyway, why is this news? The press really likes to talk about anything Apple ...next they'll describe Steve's lunch ...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
another grab at power by the powerful... what was it again ... hmm thats odd but ok pentalobe cartels... they must be stopped before i have to spend 10-25 bucks on a new set of drivers

lazymangaka

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]haunted one[/nom]Awesome. Stealing customer rights and blocking access to their own property.[/citation]
I'm not sure that it changes anything. The new screws keep out people who probably have no business rooting around inside a phone and won't do a damn thing to prevent someone determined from getting in. A simple Philips head, on the other hand, is simply inviting the 12-year-old with a screwdriver to see what makes his shiny new present tick.

VGKitov

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
" Apple has gone a step further with something completely new that even DIYers can't get."

Yeah right. There is a reason they are called DIYers :D

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]lazymangaka[/nom]A simple Philips head, on the other hand, is simply inviting the 12-year-old with a screwdriver to see what makes his shiny new present tick.[/citation]
So what's wrong with that? I've been opening up everything since I was 10. From rc cars to phones and shortly after that my PC, that helped me develop an interest in the field.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
While this would annoy it shouldn't stop most DIY'er, there are two solutions. Create standard slots in the screw with a dremel cutter remove and replace with standard screws. I would personally create a tool to fit, three lobes should be fine, likely grinding four lobes off an appropriate torx would be adequate.
This is far too much for thew average apple customer though, I'm surprised opening the case would occur to most of them.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
well...that sucks.

Why buy something you know you cant open :p

Now they can plant location chips freely so they know where you are .

as stated by others... there is already a tool to open these available. that said... these screws are superior to phillips, though torx head would be ideal.

i can understand all the hate about apple locking down their hardware but they are not the only company to do such. on quite a few products tearing them apart will void the warranty. putting special screws on a product is a bit obvious but it accomplishes the same goal. a special screw isnt going to stop a true diyer though.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Not surprising. I like that if i need to replace the memory on my Dell latitude i unscrew a single screw and open the flap, insert my new memory, replace screw and power up. None of that i have to take my Mac to the Apple store to upgrade, i have an appointment with them at 2pm they say ill have it back in an hour. Wasted...time, gas, and 10% markup because Mac recommends it.

jasonh8806

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Thor[/nom]And they are people who think JObs is a genius.HahahaAnd other they are generous.Sure miserly people are generous.[/citation]

Maybe you should learn english before bashing stuff since this doesn't make much sense...

droidnet

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I think the purpose of the article was to inform the public that Apple's innovation regarding finding new ways to screw their customers is reaching new levels. Perhaps their next notebook will be sold with the "improvement" of only letting you install programs from their app store - just like they do with the iphone and the ipad. But hey, some people were born with the ability of loving to get screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.