Apple's iPhone 5 is Now Available Unlocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Why would anyone want to pay that kind of money for a phone?????? I know people in the UK do, but the people here in the US buy most of their phones with the 2-year contract. That's why I'm thankful for the Nexus line. You get a better phone at 1/3 of the price of an iPhone. Just in case you didn't know, the Nexus 4 has a disabled LTE chip which can be turned on pretty easily.......but only in Canada will it work. It should work for AT&T and T-Mobile next year.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
"the unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S or a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Limit two per customer. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone"
--Straight from apple website.

Notice how it only applies to GSM carriers and not CDMA. Therefore the "unlocked" needs to be further explained in this article.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]"the unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a micro-SIM card for iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S or a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint. Limit two per customer. Learn more about the unlocked iPhone"--Straight from apple website.Notice how it only applies to GSM carriers and not CDMA. Therefore the "unlocked" needs to be further explained in this article.[/citation]

This is always what unlocked has meant... I dont see what needs to be explained

G

thats because your stay at home mother, is a whore. and gets gangbanged by 50 guys in 4 weeks, in the computer chair.

G

What I think is really funny is how the 5 will be outdated in just 6 months by the 5S and people about to buy one for Christmas and into next Spring dont have a clue...lol

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
@Samelaye

I guess I didn't get the memo on the actual definition of "unlocked" like the rest of the kids. I was actually excited about this article until i visited apple's website and read the fine print. Not every one has the same information as you so I believe any further information is warranted to prevent ambiguity. Unless you like ambiguity and like to hold knowledge over people and has the "didn't you know?" smug hipster attitude. I kind of get irate at people who act like that. Really gets on my nerves. End rant.

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
why is this newsworthy? Almost every other phone on earth is available unlocked. I guess if apple does it then it's revolutionary, regardless of the fact that nearly every other company does this.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]why is this newsworthy? Almost every other phone on earth is available unlocked. I guess if apple does it then it's revolutionary, regardless of the fact that nearly every other company does this.[/citation]

The so-called "news" you read, is often advertising disguised as a new article.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]fyend[/nom]Pass. I'll stick with my S3.[/citation]
lol....you my friend can stick with your mediocre OS and battery life....ont he other hand, i love my iphone5...my daughter plays games on it, almost 5 to 6 hours a day and the battery never drops below 25 percent, try that with any android device then you can speak

G

how ISN'T unlocked your thing?
who doesn't want an unlocked phone?
who the hell writes this stuff?
more sensationalist junk

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
ol....you my friend can stick with your mediocre OS and battery life....ont he other hand, i love my iphone5...my daughter plays games on it, almost 5 to 6 hours a day and the battery never drops below 25 percent, try that with any android device then you can speak

say that to Motorola Droid Razor Maxx

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I don't even know why this is so expensive. Is it because of the camera? The sound? Fail-ios? The design? Even if I had the money I would not spend that ridiculous amount of money on a phone that will probably get much better in a few years and other brands provide much more features. I wonder if there is anyone who would work their ass off to pay for it apart from celebrities or famous rich people..just wait to see for how much samsung puts on sale their upcoming galaxy s4, specs are already leaked, so it should be coming soon.

G

@atminside
That pretty much unlocked means. as you can use any carrier you choose, gsm and cdma use different technology, and they need different chipset for gsm and different chipset for cdma.

example even if you have an unlocked iphone by Verizon Wireless or Sprint. it still wont accept gsm card as it use different chipset.

anyway the unlocked iphone 5 here cost around 1200$US... and people still buy them.... 3rd world country my ass

[citation][nom]damian86[/nom]I don't even know why this is so expensive. Is it because of the camera? The sound? Fail-ios? The design? Even if I had the money I would not spend that ridiculous amount of money on a phone that will probably get much better in a few years and other brands provide much more features. I wonder if there is anyone who would work their ass off to pay for it apart from celebrities or famous rich people..just wait to see for how much samsung puts on sale their upcoming galaxy s4, specs are already leaked, so it should be coming soon.[/citation]What do you mean you don't know why it's expensive? This is Apple, the company that was built on exploiting the ignorance of its customers. I mean honestly, if there are people out there who will pay $850 for an unlocked smart phone, they need to be put into a mentall institution because they clearly don't have a brain function

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS