Apple's Lightning Connector Has Knock-Off Preventing Chip

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@teh_chem :
"I'm not defending the cost of the cable, but network switches are huge devices, and they do the switching. Not the cable. Unless every computer USB port is configured with the switching microcircuitry required for the dynamic reassignment, you need it elsewhere--i.e., in the cable (since the phone's pin assignments are static)"

so by moving the mini circuit in the cable to inside the device it sudden gets big, like the network switches....

@maddad
no the cables are assembled in a Chinese factory, the chip which contains the authorization codes are brought in, and chances Apple will only distribute these chips to authorized partners. Since 2 years ago i only needed 1 charger cable, a micro USB charger which has worked for all the new phones i got, plus my kindle touch, kindle fire, bluetooth headset, gps and mp3 player

G

Simple solution - don't buy anything Apple. I don't - never have and never will. If you do, you get what you deserve.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Bad reporting, the cable dynamically assigns the pins
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/25/apples-lightning-connector-uses-adaptive-technology-to-dynamically-assign-pin-functions/
way to feed the trolls with disinformation! Wow the reliability of Toms is going down hill fast!

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
People still QQing about power cord that has finally been updated after nearly 10 years?!? lol I am sure that China will eventually have a knock off.

thrasher32

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
WHAM! BAM! Thank you suckers!!

So now if you're an Apple um....fan...you have to throw away all your cheap third-party cables and buy Apple-branded cables and connectors at 100x what they should cost. If you're still on the Apple bandwagon after this, I hope you (and your wallet) are ready for their next move.

G

yep, I had pre-ordered one of the new iPod Touch units on Amazon. When I found out about the complete money-grab BS they are pulling with their cables I canceled. :(

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]busuan[/nom]Does anyone know exactly what the chip does?Please don't shoot then aim.[/citation]

Whether it is power control, or authentication is irrelevant; the chip should be in the device, assuming it is a voltage detection to determine orientation of the cable, and in the case of authentication, it shouldn't exist at all.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Bad reporting, the cable dynamically assigns the pinshttp://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2 [...] functions/way to feed the trolls with disinformation! Wow the reliability of Toms is going down hill fast![/citation]
From your source:

- The pins on the plug are deactivated until after the plug is fully inserted, when a wake-up signal on one of the pins cues the chip inside the plug. This avoids any shorting hazard while the plug isn’t inside the connector.

- The controller/driver chip tells the device what type it is, and for cases like the Lightning-to-USB cable whether a charger (that sends power) or a device (that needs power) is on the other end

Your source just confirmed this article.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
You know, when some others were talking crap about the older 30 pin connector I did not agree because what most did not get was that the cable passed audio and video (unlike other phones that connected via USB). This connector, on the other hand, I do NOT agree with. I cannot think of any good that this cable will provide and with that chip on it it appears to be only a $$$$ thing.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]I'm shocked, shocked, I say, that Apple would do something like this![/citation]
I don't know, I was tempted to use that pun as well.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012
http://www.cultofmac.com/192819/apples-lightning-connector-can-adapt-to-different-idevices-and-assign-pin-fuctions/
It's not an authenticatornchip. The interface is digital so that chip does signal and power switching to the different pins. Read this link. Also in some cables and adapters it will do d/a conversion.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]You know, when some others were talking crap about the older 30 pin connector I did not agree because what most did not get was that the cable passed audio and video (unlike other phones that connected via USB). This connector, on the other hand, I do NOT agree with. I cannot think of any good that this cable will provide and with that chip on it it appears to be only a $$$$ thing.[/citation]It means the interface is future proofed. It's highly flexible and extensible to future standards note even yet invented let alone USB 3.0 and HDMI.
Also all pins can switch to power charging meaning faster charging of iPads etc.
The purpose was for a smaller connector. The reasons they did not use micro USB is because micro USB doesn't support high enough power.

elect86

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
It's like Apple is admitting that for their customers it is better to pay 29$/€ to avoid any error in the plugging..

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]game junky[/nom]Oh Apple, can't you be a participator - your loyal following will still give you a hefty allotment of their monthly check for your gadgets, can't you let the cheapskates like myself have our dignity back by not having to spend $19 on a frickin sync cable?Lame[/citation]

You lost your dignity when you bought your first Apple product.

jpaylor

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Utter nonsense, where is the proof to suggest this is an "authentication chip"? The lightning connector can be plugged-in any way round and to achieve this the pins are dynamically assigned, something which would require a chip perhaps? Plus, there are other features to this cable that would also support the need for a chip inside the cable. The only truth to this is other cable manufacturers won't be able to cheaply create their own versions of the cable - because it's not just a cable, there is more technology behind it.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Intelligent, if annoying. MicroUSB all the way![/citation]While I would have LOVED to see Apple adopt the standard MicroUSB cable, there is a clear reason why that didn't happen. As I understand it, micro USB officially has a maximum power rating of 1.8 Amps. The iPad uses 2.1 Amps. The Apple 30 pin connector could do 2.1 Amps. Some phone manufactures have developed a proprietary way to using additional pins for more power, but they are not USB compliant.
They could have done the same thing but I believe they decided that if they were going to change the interface, why use MicroUSB when they can develop a superior interface that will have a longer life.
The lightning connector is capable of very high power outputs as well as just about any kind of interface or adapter they want to build. The pins on microusb aren't fixed, they're dynamically assigned.

My initial reaction to lightning was that I was pissed that it was a proprietary interface and I'd have to buy expensive cables. But the more I learn about lightning, the more I like it and think it was the right move.
I just wish Apple would license it to the rest of the world for a reasonable/cheap price and see the entire industry adopt it and ditch microusb. But alas, Apple doesn't do that...which sucks.

G

No one's forced to go buy a crApple product. Android on my S3 with custom firmwares and over/under-clocked and a removable battery as well as a sd cart is more than enough reason to avoid this phone. I can't believe Apple charges $100 x multiplier for just doubling the set memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.