News Apple's renewed push for Mac gaming relies on its whole ecosystem to attract users

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
The new m4 ipad, a freaking tablet with no fan , has significantly better better graphics than any handheld, no matter what iGPU is used. The ipad probably runs at 7 watts, with boosts up to 11 here and there. Meanwhile AMDs 7840U and its 780m iGPU running at over 20 watts is probably only 75% as powerful, if not even further behind. Intels Xe isn't even worth mentioning. Qualcomms X Elite is on par with the 780m for now.

On the onexplayer Discord I had this big discussion about a single device for work when traveling and gaming. There was this debate about their new X1, with the new AMD processor, an 11 inch tablet with removable controllers and keyboard cover. Its too heavy, thicc, etc to use well as a handheld with controllers attached. If I could game on a 11 inch ipad (and if apple allowed their desktop OS on it) than it would blow any other handheld out of the water performance wise, battery wise, and portability. Its so frustrating that no other manufacturers can keep up with Apple Silicon.
The m4 iPad is $1K for small one with 256GB storage and prices go up by a lot if you want more storage, as in the 1TB version costing $1.600 - no one is as greedy as Apple when it comes their price ladder. And remember, it is not like you can switch or upgrade the storage - you're stuck with what you bought.

kealii123

Great
Nov 3, 2023
This is a big issue. Apple is in probably the most prime position of its life to gain market share among gamers considering how many ill choices Microsoft is making, but together with Apple's own ill choices such as no support for Vulkan it pushes people away from both MS and Apple and into at least considering Linux.

As long as Apple does these three things:

1) No Vulkan as a first-class citizen/preferring Apple-"Metal". Apple makes game devs lives more complicated with an additional unneeded API.
2) No video cards. Apple needs a sanely-priced platform that can accept plug-in PCI-E video cards.
3) [Kind of a reason 2.5] Apple is going to have to stop its stalemate with Nvidia.

Nvidia. Is. Gaming. Full stop.

Apple has no future in gaming with these three.

Now that's not to say they can't pull in good numbers from "casual gamers" who are "I already have a Mac or IPhone, so I might as well play a game here or there on it" but that is completely not the same thing as "I want to play games. I want to buy a new great gaming machine. I'm buying a Mac and/or I am buying an IPhone."

(Next to) Nobody says that last sentence. And where they do, it's IPhone.

Linux is a better gaming platform than the Mac. It's true. Here's two bits from the article that highlight exactly what I mean.

This is the usual arrogance that people are so used to with Apple, and it is absolutely a turn off.

Do we really believe that Apple couldn't port MacOS and port IOS to run on Vulkan? Really? Apple says, Do it our way. People don't like that.

The white whale of "run anywhere" points to a Vulkan future if anything, even if DX is the elephant in the living room. That's really the problem. Game devs already have to port many games from DX to Vulkan, now throw Metal into the mix. Wait. What?

It absolutely does not make any sense at all. Apple being the smallest bit player here, sanity would dictate that they come hat in hand. I see no hats and I see no hands either. It's just the usual arrogance.

In other words, Apple views gaming as a trap. They do not have a pure "lets have fun" viewpoint like Valve does. Everything Apple is doing is by Apple, for Apple, within Apple, look at the high walls of this garden. It's all inside the garden.

How many gamers are going to fall for the trap? Not many, I would wager, and not with the other obvious pitfalls mentioned above.

At the end of the day there is always simply prices. Apple still has to, on the other side, compete with gaming consoles as well. Apple's whole ecosystem is priced to match a cult following of users who are willing to pay more and Apple wants them to pay more, not the actual market as a whole. The IPhone is the most likely winner if anything of these efforts. But the Mac is a non-starter.
You bring up some excellent points, but the #1 barrier to Apple putting in a real effort for gaming is their own success.

THE APPLE APP STORE BRINGS IN MORE REVENUE FOR GAMING THAN XBOX, PS5 PC GAMING, AND NINTENDO COMBINED

You're an Apple exec. The app store brings in over $15 billion in annual revenue for Apple (thats $15 billion just for Apple alone from their App Store fees). Why on earth would you redeploy engineering resources to increase macbook gaming capabilities?

its such a shame since Apple Silicon is two or three generations ahead in performance of every other CPU/GPU manufacturer.

PS and for those complaining about Apple pricing, compare the latest ipad to the new Snapdragon Microsoft Surface. Its cheaper for a superior product.

Pierce2623

Prominent
Dec 3, 2023
You bring up some excellent points, but the #1 barrier to Apple putting in a real effort for gaming is their own success.

THE APPLE APP STORE BRINGS IN MORE REVENUE FOR GAMING THAN XBOX, PS5 PC GAMING, AND NINTENDO COMBINED

You're an Apple exec. The app store brings in over $15 billion in annual revenue for Apple (thats $15 billion just for Apple alone from their App Store fees). Why on earth would you redeploy engineering resources to increase macbook gaming capabilities?

its such a shame since Apple Silicon is two or three generations ahead in performance of every other CPU/GPU manufacturer.

PS and for those complaining about Apple pricing, compare the latest ipad to the new Snapdragon Microsoft Surface. Its cheaper for a superior product.
Wait…where did you get the idea that Apple silicon has some sort of special GPU? The only reason their GPU outperforms other laptops is it has a 256 bit bus for much better bandwidth. When compared to a discrete GPU with an equal number of shaders, an Apple GPU is quite weak. They have more shaders than a 7800xt.