Question [Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware]

Sep 8, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm just looking for some advice and assistance with an: 'Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware' error.

The error started 3 days ago.

I have tried everything I can think of, and I feel like I've put quite a bit of time into searching forums and the internet, but can't seem to find a fix (without replacing hardware).

At the moment I am experiencing this error on every game I have tested (World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Valorant), as well as several applications (Google Chrome, Spotify).

My computer has blue screened a few times, but reboots within seconds. I can't seem to create a pattern with the blue screens to determine a cause.

All hardware is relatively new (last few months), besides the GTX 1070.

System overview:

Windows 10 64bit: ver 10.0.19041
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X (no OC)
Mem: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 (using XMP profile)
Mobo: x570 MSI Tomahawk
PSU: Corsair RM 750w
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070
using a samsung s24d330 monitor

Hardware stats: (30min medium to low load average)

GPU clock: 1506mhz
GPU temp: 54c max
Mem clock: 4006mhz
Mem temp: 32c
CPU temp: 45c
mobo temp: 38c

Fix attempts log:

- Every time I try a solution, I run sfc scan and image cleanup BEFORE and AFTER a fix, to check the system. After many many scans, I get the same results every time:

Sfc scan:

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth:

No component store corruption detected

3.DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth:

The restore operation completed successfully

• Ensured Windows 10 is up to date
  • Ensured all drivers are up to date
  • Ran msdt.exe - id MaintenanceDiagnostic multiple times, no issues are flagged up
  • Several disc checks and cleanups
  • Several cccleaner scans and clean ups
  • Unistalled / Reinstalled several games to double check it's not specific software
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled the last 5 graphic drivers. Tried each driver multiple times, both with completely uninstalling the card and then reinstalling, and also wiping all files and registry with DDU. (The current version I am on is: 451.48)
  • I've edited the registry (QWORD 64-bit Value) to change TdrDelay timing to 8

Using GeForce driver 451.48, running games in debug mode via Nvidia control panel, Windows 8 compatibility mode and disabling full screen optimisation, I can get games to run for between 15-20 minutes without experiencing the error message and forced quit. Occasionally there is black flashes on the monitor every 5-10 mins(less than a second).

That's the best I can do, advice and suggestions would be much appreciated!