Applied thermal paste and pc doesnt boot up (urgent please!!!!)

ItsRodas

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
Hello guys, so i changed the thermal paste off my CPU (Intel Core 2 Quad q9450 2.6ghz) and when i boot up the computer, it doesn't beep and the monitor shows no signal, why? :( im so desperate please help!!!

Solution

If the other CPU works when you installed it, then for me would take out the MB as being the cause of the no boot issue,. I use Intel CPU's and they are pretty robust in their construction and I switch them out of MB's all the time and my biggest fear was always bending a pin in the MB in the process,..
I would take a hard look at the bottom of the CPU just to make sure one of the gold contacts didn't come off somehow,.and again I am sorry this is happening to you,it's frustrating but you'll figure it out,.just use the process of elimination,..start off with what is working and try to go from there,..

ItsRodas

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
I removed my cpu and then i cleaned it with isopropyl alchocol and a paper towel, and then i apllied thermal paste, then i put it back on, and now it does that...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Is the cpu lined up properly? There should be a a triangle (or some other shape) on the corner of the cpu and a triangle in the motherboard socket they need to be lined up. And are you sure the cpu fan is plugged in the computer probably wont post without it.

This list might help, its not really meant for your specific situation but it might help you find the problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Check over your PC and make sure you did not knock anything loose.

If all you did was remove the fan and the cpu, then getting the cpu back into the motherboard socket correctly and plugging in the fan is all that it should require.

Did you unplug the pc before you removed the CPU?

Outside of shorting something out from not unplugging the tower from the wall there should be only 3 possibilities
1) you knocked something loose
2) CPU is not correctly inserted into the socket/bent pins
3) Fan is not connected

Bombie1138

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I'm sorry to hear that this has happened ,..
If you have a different CPU that will work with the MB I would drop that in just to see if you can pinpoint exactly which componant is failing,..
Also I hope you made sure you had no static charge on you when you touched the MB,..

ItsRodas

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
Yes dunlop0078, its plugged in the port labbed cpu fan...
and yes Bombie i doubt it was a static charge...
If this helps anyone, i plugged in and old cpu i had back in the time a Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.7 ghz and it worked, like what the helll damm why :(

Bombie1138

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

I'm leaning towards this suggestion,..check all your cable connections and take a look at the wiring on the CPU cooler fan to make sure there isn't a loose connection somewhere in it,..reseat your 24 pin power connection too,..
Besides bending a CPU pin in the MB I really would find it quite strange you could damage that CPU by just cleaning it,..

Bombie1138

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

If the other CPU works when you installed it, then for me would take out the MB as being the cause of the no boot issue,. I use Intel CPU's and they are pretty robust in their construction and I switch them out of MB's all the time and my biggest fear was always bending a pin in the MB in the process,..
I would take a hard look at the bottom of the CPU just to make sure one of the gold contacts didn't come off somehow,.and again I am sorry this is happening to you,it's frustrating but you'll figure it out,.just use the process of elimination,..start off with what is working and try to go from there,..

Solution

ItsRodas

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
I looked again in the botom of the cpu and they are like new, all there.. yeah i will try out going to an store specialized in that if they can figure it out... well thank you very much for your words Bombie it means a lot!

Newt Pussable

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014

The one time I`ve had a similar problem, I reassembled my computer. Doing that you`ll be able to make sure everything is in place.

ItsRodas

Reputable
Mar 16, 2015
Well... I saw a new cpu in a store and i will buy it maybe, it's a "Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400" can anyone tell me if its compatible with this motherboard "http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5G41TM_LX/"?